Brooks Interview on Basch.

If you listened to the press conference, sounds like he has made peace with the loss and has moved on.  I'm guessing he knew there was a chance he wouldn't make it and deep down knew he wasn't as prepared as he should be. When match two was over, he looked disappointed, but not surprised. The stars aligned and he is where he needs to be and where wrestling needs him to be. 

After watching the interview my opinion on Brooks is that he's a great wrestler, but he's a) not a very inteligent person and b) it sounds like he needs to wrestle someone multiple times to get a grip. But he'll probably wrestle Yazdani just one time (if that) given that he said he's moving to 92 for the 3 years to come (2025-27).  So, his chances vs Yazdani aren't as good as I thought. Particularly now that we know that Taylor isn't helping him out (shit, after listening to the interview Taylor might even support Yazdani vs Brooks lol).

Man, I hope someone supports Brooks for the bouts to come in Paris, whether it's Yazdani, Kurugliev, Naifonov or whoever. Mostly Yazdani though. 86 is pretty weak compared to 65, 74

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Shibboleth said:

After watching the interview my opinion on Brooks is that he's a great wrestler, but he's a) not a very inteligent person and b) it sounds like he needs to wrestle someone multiple times to get a grip. But he'll probably wrestle Yazdani just one time (if that) given that he said he's moving to 92 for the 3 years to come (2025-27).  So, his chances vs Yazdani aren't as good as I thought. Particularly now that we know that Taylor isn't helping him out (shit, after listening to the interview Taylor might even support Yazdani vs Brooks lol).

Man, I hope someone supports Brooks for the bouts to come in Paris, whether it's Yazdani, Kurugliev, Naifonov or whoever. Mostly Yazdani though. 86 is pretty weak compared to 65, 74

Why does everyone keep bringing this up?  IMO, it's a non-factor when the coaches instrumental in preparing DT to beat Yaz (Cunningham, Cael, Varner) are all still available (plus Bo Nickel) to help Brooks prepare for Paris.

Edited by gromit
  • Fire 1
  • Stalling 1

9 hours ago, Shibboleth said:

AB says the type of stuff you’d expect to hear from a young evangelical elite athlete. It’s all a matter of upbringing and influences. Give him some time.

14 hours ago, pokemonster said:

Suggesting DT and his team's "hearts are hardened" and he hopes they find Jesus is just disrespectful af. He thinks the fact that he had a difficult path and got on the team is proof that God exists? C'mon dude. 

And then the kicker (paraphrasing) "I hope he actually wants to take the job and isn't doing it just to get the news of him losing to me out of the media". 

Brooks seems like a good kid, but he's a moron. 

Why is this a surprise to you? He insulted a billion Muslims on ESPN. That is not smart. The guy also never loses and beat the guy some thought might go down as the greatest US wrestler get….so why wouldn’t he think he has supernatural powers? 

• Brain 1

26 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

I ask this playfully, but @nhs67 remember our little spat over what would happen if Brooks won?

Yeah 🤣😅😂

• Bob 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, peanut said:

I thought AB’s description of what he had to go through at OTTs before the finals was insane. Cutting weight into the early morning hours, difficulty sleeping, early weigh ins, then competing by midday — against the reigning world champ. Hopefully USAWrestling gets this fixed.

And for everyone who thought DT might help AB prepare for Yazdani — I’m guessing it’s not happening.

If only there was a medicine that could assist one to take off lbs more easily and also help them stay up late and wake up early!  That medicine might make it difficult to sleep, but I would bet it could improve drive and focus the next day, even if sleep was subpar.

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken
  • Brain 1

10 hours ago, Shibboleth said:

It is also pretty clear that AB has never had a loss or even a close match unless he was sick or hurt.

I’m as annoyed by by the constant God talk, among his other takes, as the next guy, but I thought it was refreshing to hear him actually talk about his perspective, as flawed as that perspective may seem…

3 hours ago, Truzzcat said:

Wow I didn’t realize a singular interview could make someone look like such an imbecile.

I'm not super familiar with Basch but it really seemed like he was absolutely loving what dumb shit Brooks was saying and eating it all up, lol. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pokemonster said:

I'm not super familiar with Basch but it really seemed like he was absolutely loving what dumb shit Brooks was saying and eating it all up, lol. 

To be honest, I sped threw the interview because I have a hard time listening to Brooks and I don't know Basch, but in the short few minutes I watched it seeped like Basch likes the idea he can rub elbows with the greats and he like to name drop. 

• Bob 3
  • Fire 2
  • Clown 1

2 hours ago, pokemonster said:

he's worse than pyles...

• Bob 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

13 minutes ago, wrestlingshoe said:

To be honest, I sped threw the interview because I have a hard time listening to Brooks and I don't know Basch, but in the short few minutes I watched it seeped like Basch likes the idea he can rub elbows with the greats and he like to name drop. 

I'm a PSU fan and I find Basch hard to take. His questions are more multi-paragraph dissertations than actual questions. And his constant name dropping is painful.

• Bob 2
  • Fire 3

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

I was a bit put off by Brooks attitude. 

-  Excuses for every loss or close match.

- Blaming many of his current problems on DT.  Conspiracy theory city!

- Malice held toward DT, Kennedy, and maybe another guy or two.

- Was talking about him "walking on water" when he was cutting weight in the late hours.  Dude... you're not the only wrestler to ever cut weight; don't get so heavy! And I thought it was Jesus who walked on water, not PSU 197s.

- It seemed like he got his ADHD meds because he had trouble studying his freshman year while at a tournament in Europe?  That seems like it would be tough for anyone!

That being said, if he can clear the legal hurdles, I will be rooting for him hard in Paris.  If he can't, it looks like I will be rooting for Trent Hidlay.

• Bob 2

3 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I was a bit put off by Brooks attitude. 

-  Excuses for every loss or close match.

- Blaming many of his current problems on DT.  Conspiracy theory city!

- Malice held toward DT, Kennedy, and maybe another guy or two.

- Was talking about him "walking on water" when he was cutting weight in the late hours.  Dude... you're not the only wrestler to ever cut weight; don't get so heavy! And I thought it was Jesus who walked on water, not PSU 197s.

- It seemed like he got his ADHD meds because he had trouble studying his freshman year while at a tournament in Europe?  That seems like it would be tough for anyone!

That being said, if he can clear the legal hurdles, I will be rooting for him hard in Paris.  If he can't, it looks like I will be rooting for Trent Hidlay.

He gives a few bad impressions. One being that he is riding a wave of positive emotion based on the making the Olympic team, but is repackaging it into a sort of humble brag based on his faith. I don't think this is a conscious decision, but it shows a certain lack of self awareness.

Also, and for well motivated reasons, he's trying to traffic on intellectual grounds that are very simple within a person and very hard to convey to other people, and he's currently terrible at it, that video is pretty incoherent.

But really he's just a little immature and aside from thinking that my opinion is obviously very high of him. I've known plenty of high profile people like him who parleyed that into being sociopathic exploitative monsters, this is definitely a lot better than that.

• Bob 2
  • Brain 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

7 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

If only there was a medicine that could assist one to take off lbs more easily and also help them stay up late and wake up early!  That medicine might make it difficult to sleep, but I would bet it could improve drive and focus the next day, even if sleep was subpar.

That would be a "strange" medicine don't you think?  🤔

• Bob 1

I actually thought the first 30ish minutes was pretty good, it’s the most I can ever recall Brooks actually talking wrestling and not just giving the lord credit for everything.  For example it was interesting to hear him remember specific matches from each of his college seasons.

But yeah, once he got into the DT stuff it was pretty cringe.  Particularly when he was talking about Kennedy and Gilman helping Taylor prepare for him and how he “hopes they find the lord” for doing that or something.

• Fire 1

12 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I actually thought the first 30ish minutes was pretty good, it’s the most I can ever recall Brooks actually talking wrestling and not just giving the lord credit for everything.  For example it was interesting to hear him remember specific matches from each of his college seasons.

But yeah, once he got into the DT stuff it was pretty cringe.  Particularly when he was talking about Kennedy and Gilman helping Taylor prepare for him and how he “hopes they find the lord” for doing that or something.

I'm guessing that he is not a big Kennedy fan.  He DOES like Gilman, so who are the other Iscariot brothers going to Oklahoma State that he alluded to?  I'd guess Dake.  Maybe Snyder?  My guess is guys who are too busy preparing for the Olympics to change their lives so much.