Gable Steveson

21 minutes ago, Dark Energy said:

Reasonable long term - market return of 7-8% and inflation in the 2.5% range.  Market has far surpassed that the past 5, 10, 15 and 20 yr periods.  Doesn’t guarantee future but I went with a reasonable figure.

Is it published anywhere what his WWE contract was worth?

28 minutes ago, Dark Energy said:

Reasonable long term - market return of 7-8% and inflation in the 2.5% range.  Market has far surpassed that the past 5, 10, 15 and 20 yr periods.  Doesn’t guarantee future but I went with a reasonable figure.

Current inflation more like 3.5%, can you really get a risk free 8.5% investment return?  Although 35 years who knows.  

8 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I look forward to hearing how he got here. By here I mean someone who doesn't matter.

From the first big NIL/employment contract, to a slow slide toward irrelevance, to a series of flirtations with returning to the place he has relevance, to a weird backtrack, to a fast slide to finally arrive at irrelevance just in time to miss out by mere weeks a chance to matter again.

I would love to here his version of conversations had with WWE bosses and the decisions made. Knowing what both parties know now I have to believe neither would have chosen that contract followed by a waste of so many prime years.

No third NCAA title, no World title, no second Olympic title, no WWE success either. At what price?

Hard to say it, but probably a lot of input from Lesnar early on, and then insufficient guidance/Lesnar hanging up his boots around the time Steveson really got going.

It’s no coincidence that lesnar is from the same program and steveson decided to try WWE.  

The tough part is steveson has the athleticism that you would expect from lesnar, when lesnar was just a pincussion who got paid to yell at a crowd a couple hundred times a year.

5 hours ago, ionel said:

Real rate of 5%? Where do you get that today?

What do you think the market has been averaging? 

Close your eyes, pick a Vanguard ETF and you'll get 5% on average per year...and that's low. Should be getting closer to 10%. 

Nasdaq was up 43% last year, stocks in total up over 24%.

It's pretty simple, but invest in AI. The Chips(NVDA), the people who make them(TSM)...and that 500K(that was just speculated) should be 3M in 6-7 years!

2 hours ago, ionel said:

Current inflation more like 3.5%, can you really get a risk free 8.5% investment return?  Although 35 years who knows.  

I don't think anyone said "risk-free." The stock market is a risk, but...you just invest over time you'll do just fine. 

• Brain 2

Up front, I'll admit that I don't like WWE. It's a stupid soap opera. That probably influences my opinion, which is this: Gable Steveson comes out of this as the babyface, while WWE is the heel. How un-American was it for them to hold off on a decision until after the OTT? Are they rooting for Russia or Iran? Was this a way to shuttle him off to the UFC? 

The WWE had to have had a handler working personally with him. Did that handler not know that he has a nonfungible talent with a limited window of opportunity? 

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

7 hours ago, ionel said:

I never said risk free.  I also pointed out long term.  That means not point in time.

• Bob 1

7 hours ago, pokemonster said:

Is it published anywhere what his WWE contract was worth?

I recall some discussion of it being 1M+.  Real?  Not sure.  Some felt it was a very big NIL deal for all of college athletes.  But I don’t know.  

• Bob 1

12 hours ago, AgaveMaria said:

He can't have an Olympic spot until 2028 when the games will be held in Los Angeles, CA.

His planning so far shows he and his team of advisors don't know how to plan worth a damn.

He didn’t plan on getting fired 2 weeks after trials , that’s on the wwe lol

10 hours ago, Chief_Illiniwek said:

Is he able to use his last year of eligibility? 

Maybe? If he can count 23 as a redshirt and 24 as an Oly redshirt. Don't know the rule there, but off the top of my head I do not recall a restriction.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Maybe? If he can count 23 as a redshirt and 24 as an Oly redshirt. Don't know the rule there, but off the top of my head I do not recall a restriction.

From what I have been reading, you can't take a retroactive Olympic redshirt - it has to be declared before the season. I don't think he is getting another year.... however, it wouldn't surprise me if a lawsuit changed the NCAA's mind. You can pretty much get anything with the NCAA right now. 

Edited by Idaho
  • Bob 3
  • Fire 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

5 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

Up front, I'll admit that I don't like WWE. It's a stupid soap opera. That probably influences my opinion, which is this: Gable Steveson comes out of this as the babyface, while WWE is the heel. How un-American was it for them to hold off on a decision until after the OTT? Are they rooting for Russia or Iran? Was this a way to shuttle him off to the UFC? 

The WWE had to have had a handler working personally with him. Did that handler not know that he has a nonfungible talent with a limited window of opportunity? 

Why is any of that wwe’s fault?   He could have entered the trials while working there.  Do we not remember the knuckle head in question won the trials last year and just skipped worlds?   People commenting that the wwe had any part in him not entering the trials… I mean I just don’t understand that perspective.    

This whole thing has been a train wreck. Bad decisions at every turn.

— Gable’s original decision to go WWE was insane; on a part with LeBron dropping out of the NBA after one year be a mime. I’m all for pursuing dreams, but at least make it a real dream, not what you wanted when you were 7. Gable had a chance to be a US legend, a household name at the level of the “other” Gable, synonymous with US wrestling. And alt that level of fame, the dollars follow.

— Why did Gable do WTTs last year, then drop out? What possible good was going to come of that? All it does is sap the confidence of the back-up who goes. Was that Gable’s call or the WWE’s? Garbage call either way. Either don’t do it, or do it and come away with the mutual benefit of a world title, and the WWE can introduce him as the “reigning world freestyle champ.”

— This times 1000 for the 2024 Olympics. Both Gable and WWE knew months ago, at least since his disastrous debut against Corbin in 7/23, that Gable wasn’t exactly knocking it out of the park. Gable got booed, his gold medal faded from memory. The logical play would be for WWE to insist, or Gable to request, or both, for Gable to go out for OTTs in April. He would be the favorite for another gold, and if he won it… holy cow, he could hit the ground RUNNING at the WWE!  Within a couple weeks he could be all over the every WWR event, parlaying the media hype into new fans and new dollars for the WWE, enriching both. 

— Instead of the above happening, either Gable asking to go or the WWE pushing him, they did NOTHING, Gable never saw any more WWE events, never trained freestyle or signed up for OTTs, and the WWE cuts him a 2 weeks after. Essentially the WWE destroyed their investment and then salted the earth, making sure Gable’s future prospects are toast too.

— The next thing to be bungled? Gable’s last year of NCAA eligibility of course. I’m sure the talk of 1.25M for Carter is BS, but you have to think Gable could make top NIL dollar for a return before his eligibility expires. But fear not, the genius handlers that Gable looks to will screw that one up too, and I would put the odds of him ever being on another world freestyle team at sub 5%.

• Bob 1

2 hours ago, ionel said:

Risk free ~5 to 5.5%. 

The stock market will never be risk free in the short term, but over the decades a total stock market index fund has averaged about 10%.  A balanced 70/30 stock to bond ratio will get you about 8% nominal return.  Bonds alone, 4-5%.  Cash money market fund have been paying around 5% for most of the last year, which is about as safe as you can get, but historically more like 2-3%.  Inflation has historically been 2-3% so you need more than that to break even.

• Bob 1

4 hours ago, Idaho said:

From what I have been reading, you can't take a retroactive Olympic redshirt - it has to be declared before the season. I don't think he is getting another year.... however, it wouldn't surprise me if a lawsuit changed the NCAA's mind. You can pretty much get anything with the NCAA right now. 

I just took a look at the rule. It is unclear from what I read whether the declaration needs to be before after the event. It just says:

• The Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement, or a committee designated by it, shall have the authority to waive this provision by a two-thirds majority of its members present and voting to permit student-athletes to participate in...Officially recognized training and competition directly qualifying participants for final Olympic or Paralympic tryouts, or Official tryouts and competition involving national teams sponsored by the appropriate national governing bodies of the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee.

"to participate" might be viewed as in the future, but not sure.

Did he meet any of the criteria like officially recognized training and competition? Or official tryouts and competition? Does the World Team trials count? Do you need to be at an RTC to be officially training? Do you need to show you were training for not-fake wrestling while fake wrestling?

More questions, no answers.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

5 hours ago, ionel said:

Risk free ~5 to 5.5%. 

It's really cute when someone takes the entire premise and then COMPLETELY changes it because they're so ridiculously wrong rather than just admit it, they have to double down.

NOTHING is "risk free," dude. I don't know why you're not making that you're standard. Unless you live exclusively off your gold that you barter with people, I'll assume you use a bank, you use money, a fiat currency. When you get paid, it's by check that gets deposited directly into your bank account. None of those are risk-free. Every fiat historically has failed. 

NOBODY said risk-free. But find me a 35-year period where you're not getting at LEAST 5% returns on average WITH the risks? 

150 years of the market- over 9.24%-slowest period of growth.

100 years-10.6 and that includes the GREAT DEPRESSION

Last 10 about 13

Last 5 about 15

You want something risk free in live, you're probably not gonna find it. 

1 hour ago, scourge165 said:

It's really cute when someone takes the entire premise and then COMPLETELY changes it because they're so ridiculously wrong rather than just admit it, they have to double down.

NOTHING is "risk free," dude. I don't know why you're not making that you're standard. Unless you live exclusively off your gold that you barter with people, I'll assume you use a bank, you use money, a fiat currency. When you get paid, it's by check that gets deposited directly into your bank account. None of those are risk-free. Every fiat historically has failed. 

NOBODY said risk-free. But find me a 35-year period where you're not getting at LEAST 5% returns on average WITH the risks? 

150 years of the market- over 9.24%-slowest period of growth.

100 years-10.6 and that includes the GREAT DEPRESSION

Last 10 about 13

Last 5 about 15

You want something risk free in live, you're probably not gonna find it. 

Sure there is, we discuss it in economics, finance but yes it changes.

SmartSelect_20240505-150418_Chrome.jpg.185f4422639855ad5a1d6a409791db42.jpg

Now regarding long run returns, there are no guarantees.  Had money in stocks for college fund, lost half in 08 down turn.  Sure it came back but not in time.  Friends invested in state run college fund lost everything.  Fortunately I also invested in farm land, didn't bet the farm and the farm income paid for the 1st in college.  Stocks paid for the 3rd, had to sell stock but not land.

WWE really did him dirty with the timing of his release. Can't blame Steveson for chasing a paycheck. In hindsight, he might have been able to rack up some pretty good deals if he stayed in college with the way NIL seems to be heating up. 

• Brain 1

21 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

WWE really did him dirty with the timing of his release

Some folks may argue he did USA wrestling dirty with the timing of his decision not to wrestle at 2023 Worlds. I wouldn't.

I hope he was able to make and save some money. I hope he wrestles internationally for the USA in the future and is successful. No ill will from me about the choices he's made. Just part of growing...✌️

• Bob 1

42 minutes ago, ionel said:

Sure there is, we discuss it in economics, finance but yes it changes.

SmartSelect_20240505-150418_Chrome.jpg.185f4422639855ad5a1d6a409791db42.jpg

Now regarding long run returns, there are no guarantees.  Had money in stocks for college fund, lost half in 08 down turn.  Sure it came back but not in time.  Friends invested in state run college fund lost everything.  Fortunately I also invested in farm land, didn't bet the farm and the farm income paid for the 1st in college.  Stocks paid for the 3rd, had to sell stock but not land.

Ok...so this started about investing over a 35-year period, not investing in time for College. Long term investing and you asked "where can you get a 5% return." You didn't say where can you get a 5% return in a limited period of time with zero risk. That's a VERY different discussion.

And again, there  really is  absolutely no such thing as zero risk. As I said, every fiat currency in history has fallen. So you're risking everything on your faith in the dollar, in banks. Not zero risk.

I'd say if you're going to continue to have faith in the dollar, the US Economy, the Treasury...AND YOU'RE LOOKING LONG TERM, then history has proven 5% returns over a 35 year period would be historically BAD. You're looking at a ~10% return over a 35 year period. So that 500K will turn into ~14M using historical averages. So 5% and 3M in 35 years...that'd mean you were HYPER conservative in investing. 

Anecdotally, you'll find people who far-far exceeded these numbers and you'll find people who had really poor luck. Investing in a College fund where you have a set time and then getting hit with the '08 financial meltdown, that's horrible. I'm sorry that happened. But that is not what the original set of circumstances were. 

57 minutes ago, Threadkilla said:

Kerk had/has an NIL deal with the WWE,  he's physical enough, but I'm not sure he has the temperament for it.  

LOL...no, I can't really see that. He seems so disinterested in Wrestling as it is(while easily winning a NC)...

It's just hard to picture him up there with the fake shit talking and some catch phrase. It's easier to see him going into the UFC and just wrecking dudes. 

32 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

Ok...so this started about investing over a 35-year period, not investing in time for College. Long term investing and you asked "where can you get a 5% return." You didn't say where can you get a 5% return in a limited period of time with zero risk. That's a VERY different discussion.

And again, there  really is  absolutely no such thing as zero risk. As I said, every fiat currency in history has fallen. So you're risking everything on your faith in the dollar, in banks. Not zero risk.

I'd say if you're going to continue to have faith in the dollar, the US Economy, the Treasury...AND YOU'RE LOOKING LONG TERM, then history has proven 5% returns over a 35 year period would be historically BAD. You're looking at a ~10% return over a 35 year period. So that 500K will turn into ~14M using historical averages. So 5% and 3M in 35 years...that'd mean you were HYPER conservative in investing. 

Anecdotally, you'll find people who far-far exceeded these numbers and you'll find people who had really poor luck. Investing in a College fund where you have a set time and then getting hit with the '08 financial meltdown, that's horrible. I'm sorry that happened. But that is not what the original set of circumstances were. 

I said where can you get a 5% real rate of return which means with 3.5% inflation a 8.5% nominal return and if it isn't risk free (or near) then there are no guarantees you can get 8.5%. 

• Poopy 1

2 hours ago, scourge165 said:

It's just hard to picture him up there with the fake shit talking and some catch phrase.

That cat can just be, 'The Silent Killer.'  Although, I would love to see him expressionlessly wreck dudes in MMA...