Gable Steveson

11 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Neal was 6'4" and was all of 130 KG (~285lbs) for his wrestling days.  He also played with a wingspan of a 6'8" Tackle, metaphorically speaking.

He was the only wrestler to out-athlete Brock, IIRC during his days, but a lot of it had to do with just having a longer/larger frame.

This was a year or two ago.

?ui=2&ik=3779695bf4&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1743615670927288604&th=18329136f26ce91c&view=att&disp=safe&saddbat=ANGjdJ9uzTkkYfIbFQzKX_oO5n258LBulXiCSa_c_U7P-nkRgIKG53bmLCtenx-ixJ8YMRpAAoD6IKaw82Tlya3hEkqItYxqoBtHYmFdauZFONfvYcPWx5TLvp4OGaLqbPwhnM7n03BfP9uyWp03-ge86xMF0QMmRGlJ7MFe6-rwmEs0b2cm-YrODIaRY5vabaZJOCHxUAMF7zIeLrz9kr9vV-oKsNLHy4IUZ4sgAOgE8TWqjpNNDqueYOQCZkcd-QzCm0lksmyEzEtA8QlpsoqfoBeBRaW9nfrn_xyIeCkf-9i9H4uwxJd-jOPf5YAECbSh0GLMn_xqKFvIpazTJOmP6vUr7gbd4mHxWQA9V7Z6n1ezwh81xPK6Tel8hOQZPT_4nFdfc7Bsb6y3GJtdRspMtFVhb1BoND8wZvqsoV5EzhL7b7liDvbvCBY3dxoQ90lnJecTTqleKU3m8u7BcvfnK6Wlm1R7lvWdWQ8C_UqFLORamR4x6D5D0ZLio0-50ty3NxHoLmtJAAQ4WabBo7H25b4RM8eCL7Wht-HnZXLLPRPhtQnynyvFDt4BQ86YMlvPQqlRBZv1KThsLZgqaD0Gf_q1Y9i8B_-aCChLLtRk5D8kjLB4ihvKc4CX-ti9l43Bg_9hd-PVgfU7aLeOuXzY8LUcgg1eQLUOPURh7glQN4hI9PDo323ZOZCA6T7lUenKHLLvohsWWNF1tdDJMZCxFTKrEqUNUILAz69axFVdGuMdcFBvPzYYkyORhOA

11 minutes ago, MNRodent said:

This was a year or two ago.

?ui=2&ik=3779695bf4&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1743615670927288604&th=18329136f26ce91c&view=att&disp=safe&saddbat=ANGjdJ9uzTkkYfIbFQzKX_oO5n258LBulXiCSa_c_U7P-nkRgIKG53bmLCtenx-ixJ8YMRpAAoD6IKaw82Tlya3hEkqItYxqoBtHYmFdauZFONfvYcPWx5TLvp4OGaLqbPwhnM7n03BfP9uyWp03-ge86xMF0QMmRGlJ7MFe6-rwmEs0b2cm-YrODIaRY5vabaZJOCHxUAMF7zIeLrz9kr9vV-oKsNLHy4IUZ4sgAOgE8TWqjpNNDqueYOQCZkcd-QzCm0lksmyEzEtA8QlpsoqfoBeBRaW9nfrn_xyIeCkf-9i9H4uwxJd-jOPf5YAECbSh0GLMn_xqKFvIpazTJOmP6vUr7gbd4mHxWQA9V7Z6n1ezwh81xPK6Tel8hOQZPT_4nFdfc7Bsb6y3GJtdRspMtFVhb1BoND8wZvqsoV5EzhL7b7liDvbvCBY3dxoQ90lnJecTTqleKU3m8u7BcvfnK6Wlm1R7lvWdWQ8C_UqFLORamR4x6D5D0ZLio0-50ty3NxHoLmtJAAQ4WabBo7H25b4RM8eCL7Wht-HnZXLLPRPhtQnynyvFDt4BQ86YMlvPQqlRBZv1KThsLZgqaD0Gf_q1Y9i8B_-aCChLLtRk5D8kjLB4ihvKc4CX-ti9l43Bg_9hd-PVgfU7aLeOuXzY8LUcgg1eQLUOPURh7glQN4hI9PDo323ZOZCA6T7lUenKHLLvohsWWNF1tdDJMZCxFTKrEqUNUILAz69axFVdGuMdcFBvPzYYkyORhOA

Can't see anything there, bud.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

3 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Can't see anything there, bud.

Sorry, It's Neal and Steveson posing together in the Gopher room.  I can see it on my laptop but not my phone for some reason.

People,

Gable Steveson is not going to play in the NFL.  He knows it and if he doesn't then the NFL does.

Hopefully he will wrestle again. 

I expect he will. It's the thing he can make the most money doing.

It's also a noble pursuit with respect to which he is the best in the world, whereas he will not be particularly good, let alone great, at anything else he does.  That is not an insult; instead it is a commentary on how good he is at wrestling. 

• Bob 1

57 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Mookie Betts= phenomenal bowler

Randy Johnson

Hall of Fame MLB Career
Hall of Fame Bird Butcher Career
Hall of Fame PBA Career
Hall of Fame NFL Photographer Career

Who else is touching him?

• Haha 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Mondo Duplantis is my vote for the current world's great athlete. Current World Record holder for pole vault.

Not sure if it is 100% accurate, but their was a claim that he was faster running with a pole vault than any NFLer was measured during any game.

The athleticism of pole vaulters is amazing and he is the best of all time. Speed power and agility

Also for those who get worked up by Americans competing for other countries. he was born and raised in the US and still trains here, but has an American father and Swedish mother and has chosen to represent Sweden

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2024 at 7:23 PM, ionel said:

If only we had video of Wkn out running a chettah in a speedo.  🙂

How can you go wrong with Jan Michael Vincent, Tim Conway and John Amos.

He really isn't all that athletic. He is for his sport but not in the big picture of sports. There is no place for him in football.

Edited by JeanGuy

Many years ago, I spent an afternoon with Grace Thorpe, Jim's daugther, in Yale, OK. She told me that her father loved to wrestle a "backyard style" and never was defeated. Pretty interesting.

Also, Bob Mathias belongs in any conversation about the greatest athlete ever. He won the Olympic decathlon gold medal in London in 1948 at AGE 17 -- and won again four years later. He told me that he wanted to go again in 1956 but he was ruled ineligible by the AAU for starriing in a movie about his own life. He was also a star running back at Stanford and played in the Rose Bowl.

Glen Brand, 1948 Olympic wrestling champion, told me he was  in awe of Mathias when he won the decathlon in 1948 and Glen considered Mathias the best athlete he ever saw.

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

23 hours ago, JeanGuy said:

How can you go wrong with Jan Michael Vincent, Tim Conway and John Amos.

He really isn't all that athletic. He is for his sport but not in the big picture of sports. There is no place for him in football.

I am old enough to remember when Adam Coon was destined to be the next All-Pro Offensive Tackle...

On 5/20/2024 at 7:33 AM, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Unathletic Tom Brady was drafted by the Expos as a high school catcher.  His movement skills do not seem very good, but his hand eye coordination, mechanics, agility within a phone booth sized area, arm strength, and ability to generate power, etc. are other-worldly.  This doesn't even take his mental skills into account.  Yeah, he ain't beating anyone in running or jumping, he's just maxed out in other harder to define physical characteristics.

Yeah...he was. He was also a guy who played mostly 1B and struggled to hit .300 in HS. I think his Baseball prowess has perhaps been exaggerated. A guy like Elway had a legit shot to be a star Baseball player. Steve Young would be on the other end of that spectrum. 6'2 245...they talked about moving him to safety. There's a story he ran a 4.38 40 in camp that Rice and Walsh swear by(which is clearly BS, but probably meant he could run a 4.5-something).
But that's the point. Brady had the ability...like Peyton did, to process and play manipulate the pocket, but he never had the big arm(most of his backups probably had stronger arms).

But 7 Super Bowls is 7 Super Bowls.