Gable Steveson

15 hours ago, WrestlingRash said:

Gable will easily carry 300 lbs. Aaron Donald is a good body comp, once Gable gets some of those untestable NFL supplements. DLine in the NFL is one of the least skilled positions. He has a chance to stick. I've come around on the idea. 

Neal and Haselrig couldn't cut it on defense; both moved to offense where they were great.  I don't think Steveson will have this option.

17 hours ago, WrestlingRash said:

Gable will easily carry 300 lbs. Aaron Donald is a good body comp, once Gable gets some of those untestable NFL supplements. DLine in the NFL is one of the least skilled positions. He has a chance to stick. I've come around on the idea. 

I think you need to watch a little more football. These guys have tremendous athleticism and skills. Braden Fiske from Florida State this year is 6'4" 292 lbs. He ran a 4.78 40 with a 33.5" vertical leap. I would guess Gable isn't even in the ball park with those numbers. These guys have tremendous hands and feet to do what they do.

Comparing Gable to Aaron Donald is only relevant from a size perspective. Donald was so skilled and athletic that he was a unicorn.

I know this is a wrestling board and people are more likely to give wrestlers the benefit of the doubt, but NFL players are a whole different level of athletic.

• Bob 1

15 minutes ago, JeanGuy said:

I think you need to watch a little more football. These guys have tremendous athleticism and skills. Braden Fiske from Florida State this year is 6'4" 292 lbs. He ran a 4.78 40 with a 33.5" vertical leap. I would guess Gable isn't even in the ball park with those numbers. These guys have tremendous hands and feet to do what they do.

Comparing Gable to Aaron Donald is only relevant from a size perspective. Donald was so skilled and athletic that he was a unicorn.

I know this is a wrestling board and people are more likely to give wrestlers the benefit of the doubt, but NFL players are a whole different level of athletic.

He did his sprints with the DB groups while in college.

20 hours ago, WrestlingRash said:

Donald is like 2" taller and about 30 pounds heavier naturally.  Just because Donald happens to be a small DL doesn't mean a 5'11 260 pound wrestler (even an elite one like Gable) is big enough for the NFL.

10.jpeg

Ken Anderson Reveals He's Training Gable Steveson - WrestleTalk

8 hours ago, JeanGuy said:

My wife disagrees with you about watching more football. Those guys are athletic. Give Gable the same roids they are on and they are in the same conversation. 

2 minutes ago, WrestlingRash said:

My wife disagrees with you about watching more football. Those guys are athletic. Give Gable the same roids they are on and they are in the same conversation. 

My wife disagrees with me about everything.  What's your point?  

• Bob 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

https://www.si.com/college/minnesota/gophers-football/gable-steveson-struggling-to-find-the-field-in-preseason-with-bills-01j5nbqncghs

SI seems to think Steveson will be available to report to a wrestling room soon.

But maybe he wants to try gymnastics first.

image.png.f8a03b36aba6053695711c366e738be6.png

If he can't "find" a 100x50 yd football field are we sure he can still "stick" the gymnastics landing?  🙅‍♀️

5 minutes ago, Ohio Elite said:

This is not surprising at all.  For as great as an athlete Steveson is he (1) never played football prior to joining the Bills and (2) is far too small to be a defensive tackle in the NFL.

All the Aaron Donald comparisons were lazy given Donald started playing football at 5 years old and is 3" taller and 40 pounds heavier than Steveson.

• Bob 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

This is not surprising at all.  For as great as an athlete Steveson is he (1) never played football prior to joining the Bills and (2) is far too small to be a defensive tackle in the NFL.

All the Aaron Donald comparisons were lazy given Donald started playing football at 5 years old and is 3" taller and 40 pounds heavier than Steveson.

What are you talking about. They are the same. Neither is playing football.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Iowa could send the biggest FU in the world to the guys that committed there by recruiting gable and letting him wrestle over Keuter who took a year off of football to dedicate to wrestling. Michigan or Minnesota seem like the most likely destinations if he comes back though although I'm not sure if he would need to be a grad transfer to wrestle so maybe Minnesota is out. I hope he continues to wrestle but he seems to be trying to do anything but wrestle so I'm guessing MMA will be his next endeavor.

13 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

Iowa could send the biggest FU in the world to the guys that committed there by recruiting gable and letting him wrestle over Keuter who took a year off of football to dedicate to wrestling. Michigan or Minnesota seem like the most likely destinations if he comes back though although I'm not sure if he would need to be a grad transfer to wrestle so maybe Minnesota is out. I hope he continues to wrestle but he seems to be trying to do anything but wrestle so I'm guessing MMA will be his next endeavor.

This is a crazy idea, but Steveson to Iowa would give them a guaranteed champ and knock off Penn State too.  It might actually be the straw that breaks Penn State's back this year.  It'll never happen but it would be a good move in terms of getting Iowa back to the top of the mountain.

1 minute ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

This is a crazy idea, but Steveson to Iowa would give them a guaranteed champ and knock off Penn State too.  It might actually be the straw that breaks Penn State's back this year.  It'll never happen but it would be a good move in terms of getting Iowa back to the top of the mountain.

I thought the three Ferrari were going to do that?  🙄

• Fire 1

I can't say I didn't see this coming.  Despite the long odds I was hoping he would make it to, if nothing else, eliminate 6 months of speculation on whether he will wrestle 2nd semester.

Making the NFL always seemed like a very long shot which is why him pursing it over taking the Iowa offer signaled to me that he just doesn't want to wrestle anymore. 

1 hour ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Does he actually have any eligibility left? Would be cool if he just went back to MiniSoda

Only if the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement grants him an Olympic Redshirt for last season. Though it appears most of these cases are heard by their staff, rather than the full committee.

From their meeting minutes:

Review of cases decided from August 1, 2023, through March 31, 2024. The committee reviewed cases staff processed during the 2023-24 academic year. The committee noted the overall increase in cases being submitted since the 2020-21 academic year. Specifically, in each of the last two academic years, there has been over a 33% increase in total cases submitted. The committee specifically noted the 180% increase in season-of-competition waivers since the 2022-23 academic year. The committee noted that staff approves over 77% of submitted cases and half of the approved cases were decided as a flexible decision. Of the 42 cases appealed to the committee, the committee affirmed staff on 88% of cases. The committee noted staff’s decisions overwhelmingly align with the committee’s approach to waivers and student-athlete reinstatement cases.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing
  • Potato 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

3 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Only if the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement grants him an Olympic Redshirt for last season. Though it appears most of these cases are heard by their staff, rather than the full committee.

From their meeting minutes:

Review of cases decided from August 1, 2023, through March 31, 2024. The committee reviewed cases staff processed during the 2023-24 academic year. The committee noted the overall increase in cases being submitted since the 2020-21 academic year. Specifically, in each of the last two academic years, there has been over a 33% increase in total cases submitted. The committee specifically noted the 180% increase in season-of-competition waivers since the 2022-23 academic year. The committee noted that staff approves over 77% of submitted cases and half of the approved cases were decided as a flexible decision. Of the 42 cases appealed to the committee, the committee affirmed staff on 88% of cases. The committee noted staff’s decisions overwhelmingly align with the committee’s approach to waivers and student-athlete reinstatement cases.

But he hasn't had his 8th year.  It wouldn't really be fair if he doesn't get it now would it? 

And so the cycle starts again. 

1. Steveson is going to try to do X instead of wrestling. 

2. People will come here and post about how it's probably a worse idea than winning world/olympic gold medals at the sport he's incredible at doing. 

3. Other posters will complain and say how dare you question his dream to do X and compare him to whatever the equivalent is to The Rock and Aaron Donald in X. 

4. Inevitably doing X won't work out. 

Repeat.