Ferrari dose for the day

3 hours ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

Short of a fundamental transformation in the personality of Ford Focus, I struggle to see how this helps CSUB moving forward no matter how well AJ does.

Is there anyone in the wrestling community who doesn't look at this move cynically? Is there one wrestler, parent or high school coach who is giving CSUB a 2nd look because AJ is on campus? I would guess there are more people scratching CSUB off their list than adding it to their list.

I wish CSUB nothing but the best. I saw Mark Cody turn American U. into a program that punched well above its weight at NCAAs by targeting a couple key prospects with high integrity with full scholarships to help attract other quality individuals to the program. Assuming CSUB has at least some scholarship money to work with, I would encourage them to do the same. CA is a wrestling gold mine - keeping just a few top prospects home could do wonders at CSUB.  

The other side of the story is that they get the scraps of CA recruiting because they are a 100% self -supported wrestling program.  It is difficult to give full scholarships to top prospects from CA when 1) you don't have the budget,  (2) you are competing against Stanford, Cal Poly, Cal Baptist, ASU and Oregon State who all recruit very heavily there, (3) your facilities aren't great and  (4) you are located in Bakersfield. I am sure they would love to implement your strategy if budget allowed.  They won 1 total match at the Pac-12 tourney last year...that is correct they went 1-26 the entire tourney. The fans, myself included, cheered like crazy when Esocbedo took 5th.  You don't think that having 2 potential AA and possibly a finalist isn't creating some buzz around CSUB?  Last year they averaged around 200 per dual...I am guessing that when LR comes to town and Ferrari and Little go at it, they will have a few more than 200 just to see that match. So having said all of that, let me flip the question, who are these parents and  wrestlers who actually had CSUB on their list that might not go now because Ferrari  was there for a year? They have created buzz around the program, and IF Ferrari keeps clean, it could be a win win for both.... or it could completely blow up as I have acknowledged many times. 

• Bob 2
  • Brain 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

22 hours ago, ionel said:

Why would new "fans" show up to buy tickets for a sport they haven't supported in the past just to be flipped off by their own athlete?  

200 per dual isn't hard to top....You must have missed the new double roadrunner "bird" that is being embraced. 

4 hours ago, ionel said:

Well there is that ... but I still say they aren't gonna make money of the Focus. 

What is your definition of "make money" for a team that 100% self supports? IF he makes it through the season, they will make money...if he doesn't, they won't lose money. 

21 minutes ago, Idaho said:

200 per dual isn't hard to top....You must have missed the new double roadrunner "bird" that is being embraced. 

What is your definition of "make money" for a team that 100% self supports? IF he makes it through the season, they will make money...if he doesn't, they won't lose money. 

Whats that 24/7 campus cop cost?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Idaho said:

The other side of the story is that they get the scraps of CA recruiting because they are a 100% self -supported wrestling program.  It is difficult to give full scholarships to top prospects from CA when 1) you don't have the budget,  (2) you are competing against Stanford, Cal Poly, Cal Baptist, ASU and Oregon State who all recruit very heavily there, (3) your facilities aren't great and  (4) you are located in Bakersfield. I am sure they would love to implement your strategy if budget allowed.  They won 1 total match at the Pac-12 tourney last year...that is correct they went 1-26 the entire tourney. The fans, myself included, cheered like crazy when Esocbedo took 5th.  You don't think that having 2 potential AA and possibly a finalist isn't creating some buzz around CSUB?  Last year they averaged around 200 per dual...I am guessing that when LR comes to town and Ferrari and Little go at it, they will have a few more than 200 just to see that match. So having said all of that, let me flip the question, who are these parents and  wrestlers who actually had CSUB on their list that might not go now because Ferrari  was there for a year? They have created buzz around the program, and IF Ferrari keeps clean, it could be a win win for both.... or it could completely blow up as I have acknowledged many times. 

Do you dare to lay odds which way this ends up?  😉

4 hours ago, Idaho said:

good post. 

• Bob 1

On 10/7/2024 at 6:37 AM, TexRef said:

Other than @Idahohas anyone else thought about the possibility that if Ferrari has a great season, that he could be instrumental in growing wrestling in the west & Intermountain west? 

I would love to see more teams out in those regions! 

Love your optimism but even in the extraordinarily unlikely event that he stays on the team and even wins a national championship -- without seriously competing in years and following a season practicing in a room with one victory in a mediocre conference tournament -- it won't be a landmark for a region that has had poster boy recruits like Robles, Valencia, and Griffith as well as other champs.

14 hours ago, Idaho said:

Hopefully they (the school, not AJ) makes a “double birds” tshirt that they can sell.  That could be a hit for wrestling shirt a day in May

• Haha 1
  • Potato 1

19 hours ago, Idaho said:

Was there a lot of overlap between Bakersfield and Fresno in recruiting? Being in fairly close proximity to one another, have a lot of the hs and club kids that Fresno State would've gone after ended up at CSUB? I guess I'm thinking of the pool of talent in Clovis, Gilroy, Modesto, and other nearby places we often hear about.

12 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Hopefully they (the school, not AJ) makes a “double birds” tshirt that they can sell.  That could be a hit for wrestling shirt a day in May

I would purchase a "double birds" shirt! 

8 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Was there a lot of overlap between Bakersfield and Fresno in recruiting? Being in fairly close proximity to one another, have a lot of the hs and club kids that Fresno State would've gone after ended up at CSUB? I guess I'm thinking of the pool of talent in Clovis, Gilroy, Modesto, and other nearby places we often hear about.

Yeah there is a ton of talent in that area for sure.   FSU had a ton of kids from Clovis and Buchanan on the roster along with a few from Gilroy, Lenmore  and Selma.  Joint, Olivas, Hockit and Nevils  all were NQ the first year they were eligible. Over the four years they also had Reyes, Olguin, Lloren, Saenz, Luchau, Parco, Wright, Solis... they also had Kemp, Cruz, Drury and Hemhauer who were out of state. Of course many of those guys went on to other schools after the program dropped and had good success - namely Parco. Bakersfield didn't have nearly as many guys on their roster from those schools - they did have a fair number from right in Bakersfield. Having said all of that, FSU definitely got the better recruiting from the valley, but here is the funny thing.... Bakersfield beat them all three times they dualed during that time. haha. 

• Bob 1

2 hours ago, juniorvarsity said:

Who is this second potential AA you speak of @Idaho? I see zero prospects 

Transfer - Gerrit Nijenhuis... 3x NQ - R16.  I believe he redshirted last year. 

Edited by Idaho

14 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Transfer - Gerrit Nijenhuis... 3x NQ - R16.  I believe he redshirted last year. 

this is his second transfer right? He must be a bit of a handful. If him and ferrari don't get along thats gonna be a really toxic locker room.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

21 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

this is his second transfer right? He must be a bit of a handful. If him and ferrari don't get along thats gonna be a really toxic locker room.

Yep - same as Buchanan and Parco..... having two guys in the locker room who have transferred twice must be two handfuls. I am not aware of any issues...maybe Oklahoma or Purdue fans know. 

23 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Yep - same as Buchanan and Parco..... having two guys in the locker room who have transferred twice must be two handfuls. I am not aware of any issues...maybe Oklahoma or Purdue fans know. 

You give them the benefit of the doubt a bit more cause they're getting paid though. Its not a great benefit of the doubt, but i try not to be cynical about money.

Compare that to two guys who were getting money and slid down to a team with none...

Edited by Hammerlock3

42 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

You give them the benefit of the doubt a bit more cause they're getting paid though. Its not a great benefit of the doubt, but i try not to be cynical about money.

Compare that to two guys who were getting money and slid down to a team with none...

Locker room probably wasn't great place before these transfers arrived.  Team is coming off an 0-12 season and has 0 assistant coaches listed on the website.  They were 1-11 the year before.  Probably a decent chance these guys have a positive impact in the locker room and get guys doing more.

6 minutes ago, fishbane said:

Locker room probably wasn't great place before these transfers arrived.  Team is coming off an 0-12 season and has 0 assistant coaches listed on the website.  They were 1-11 the year before.  Probably a decent chance these guys have a positive impact in the locker room and get guys doing more.

its possible, I've heard Ferrari is a great teammate, but if he's not and it turns out they are just dropping in two narcissistic criminals it will absolutely get worse. 

1 hour ago, Hammerlock3 said:

Plus Parco's first transfer was because his program was cut, definitely gets the benefit of the doubt for that. 

• Bob 1

On 10/10/2024 at 12:35 PM, Hammerlock3 said:

its possible, I've heard Ferrari is a great teammate, but if he's not and it turns out they are just dropping in two narcissistic criminals it will absolutely get worse. 

Clearly there is a risk/reward proposition in taking on Ferrari.  Iowa missed out on Chittum by pursuing Anthony.  Albert probably ended up at Bakersfield because there isn't a whole lot to lose.  Who is going to leave?  The assistant coaches?  They won't have any.  The wrestlers?  All them went 0-3 to finish dead last (6th place) at their weight at the PAC-12 championships last year except 1 guy who finished in 5th going 1-2.  These are replacement level wrestlers so they could easily be replaced.  What's left? The head coach?  He was 0-12 last year and 1-11 the year before.

28 minutes ago, fishbane said:

Clearly there is a risk/reward proposition in taking on Ferrari.  Iowa missed out on Chittum by pursuing Anthony.  Albert probably ended up at Bakersfield because there isn't a whole lot to lose.  Who is going to leave?  The assistant coaches?  They won't have any.  The wrestlers?  All them went 0-3 to finish dead last (6th place) at their weight at the PAC-12 championships last year except 1 guy who finished in 5th going 1-2.  These are replacement level wrestlers so they could easily be replaced.  What's left? The head coach?  He was 0-12 last year and 1-11 the year before.

The fact that they are terrible at wrestling doesn't mean the locker room can't get a lot more toxic. Particularly since building culture gets real difficult if you can't hold the only talent on the team to the rules that need to be imposed on everyone else. 

• Bob 1

On 10/10/2024 at 10:35 AM, Hammerlock3 said:

dropping in two narcissistic criminals

On 10/10/2024 at 8:50 AM, Hammerlock3 said:

He must be a bit of a handful

Wasn't aware that GN was a narcissistic criminal handful.