OTT Finals Thread

51 minutes ago, 4xJVchamp said:

Brooks vs yazdani will be a hell of a match

A ) Brooks hasn't beaten DT twice (yet).

B ) Yazdani is currently injured.  It is unknown if he will be healed in time.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

A ) Brooks hasn't beaten DT twice (yet).

B ) Yazdani is currently injured.  It is unknown if he will be healed in time.

He will absolutely be injured if Taylor wins twice tonight

i am an idiot on the internet

Just caught up in time to see the last match. My takeaways in no particular order... 

I have no idea how passivity is meant to be called anymore. Mendez did literally everything the entire match against McKenna and still didn't get one.

Nolf has no chance against Dake.

Brooks is a bad matchup for DT, I think Zahid (who should've won) is a much better matchup for him. I think we're gonna see the changing of the guard there. DT looked like he knew what was gonna happen.

Marcuz Blaze is ridic, Ohio State needs to throw that kid the biggest bag of dough they can if they want to keep him in state.

Spencer Lee is finally on the team and looking healthy. I think he's our best chance to medal. I think we've all been waiting for this for years, hope he kills it. 

Zain looked great, although the matches were boring af. I think he has a better chance of medaling than Lee, even tho Lee has been extremely impressive in freestyle. 

Nate Jackson looked great. 

Kyle Snyder ain't slowing down anytime soon, but I think he's been at his ceiling for years now. 

This format is stupid, should've just waited to wrestle all of the best of 3 tonight or finish it this afternoon. 

And finally, I don't see any of the matches going to 3 for whatever reason. We'll see tho. 

• Bob 2

14 minutes ago, larry_bird_enthusiast said:

there is 100p beef between david and bo…brooks talked about it in an interview in last years final x, said the PSU coaches “did Bo dirty” at the 2021 trials vs taylor.  notice bo coaching against taylor in AB’s corner today

I think it's because DT is the golden boy and always has been. It's tough for guys who are used to being the golden boys themselves, not get that treatment anymore. Builds resentment. I think DT will always be #1 in Cael's mind. 

Perhaps Brooks had divine intervention with the singlet pull.   

Like Maradona's "Hand of God" in the World Cup except just one finger.

Otherwise, he would be on the backside and DT would be up 1-0 over Zahid.   Oh ... the small contingencies and tiny inches that can make generate such a big  difference in life

God's Articulate Finger - SAXON HENRY

Religion produces so much funny material for us to laugh at | Facebook

6 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

I think it's because DT is the golden boy and always has been. It's tough for guys who are used to being the golden boys themselves, not get that treatment anymore. Builds resentment. I think DT will always be #1 in Cael's mind. 

He did change his commit to Iowa State and followed Carl to PSU.

1 minute ago, lu_alum said:

He did change his commit to Iowa State and followed Carl to PSU.

He's been Sanderson-trained since childhood. It is what it is.

i am an idiot on the internet

7 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

It's long been the rumor that Bo was not a fan of how Taylor's injury was handled, which may have prevented Nickal from a world team spot.  That said, I think Cael.has pretty definitively shown his loyalty (as far as on the mat) is almost totally results based.  Taylor may be about done, so golden boy status may be as well.  This is purely from a wrestling resources perspective. I'm sure interpersonally he still cares.

1 hour ago, JuanMogen said:

Brooks has a little time to get a quick Bible study in before the next match.

Does that bother you?   
I swear this is the most worn out "joke" on all of this forum---and that includes the likes the Jimmy C. 

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

The bracket is showing Mesenbrink over Burroughs by NC for true second?  Why would there be a true 2nd where Burroughs already beat Mesenbrink? 

Isn't true second supposed to be the loser of the finals vs the third place winner?

2 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

The bracket is showing Mesenbrink over Burroughs by NC for true second?  Why would there be a true 2nd where Burroughs already beat Mesenbrink? 

JB didn’t make weight so he forfeits out 

• Bob 2

6 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Just because Flo / Track has it on bracket paper doesn't mean it's true.  It is Flo you know.

6 minutes ago, Gus said:

JB didn’t make weight so he forfeits out 

My point is there is usually only a true second if the finals loser and the third place finisher didn't meet during the tournament.

11 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

It's long been the rumor that Bo was not a fan of how Taylor's injury was handled, which may have prevented Nickal from a world team spot.  That said, I think Cael.has pretty definitively shown his loyalty (as far as on the mat) is almost totally results based.  Taylor may be about done, so golden boy status may be as well.  This is purely from a wrestling resources perspective. I'm sure interpersonally he still cares.

I get that vibe from almost all of his wrestlers aside from DT. I obviously could be wrong but I always felt like Cael preferred DT over Ruth even tho he was a monster. And it didn't seem like he let Bo actually challenge DT when it came down to it. Idk, if DT loses I'm just hoping he becomes a head coach at a legit school asap. 

Post Mortem on the Coverage:

In my opinion, Peacock did an excellent job, much better than Flo. That's especially true regarding everything besides the finals. Those are usually less than impressive when viewed through a Flo lens. It was quick and easy to switch mats. The only glitches for me occurred after about :20 into a new match, the system reset.

I did have a couple of short outages on day one. 

The cameras were top notch, and they brought you right into the action. Cameras now have zoom lenses! There were also actual camera operators who turned the cameras to continuously face the action. I was not aware that that was possible. 

I will certainly cancel Peacock after about a week. It offers almost nothing besides a Real Housewives for every major metropolitan area in America (and Dubai). I want to see Oppenheimer still, though. I did watch Superbad and was disappointed. The movie is a 113-minute fart joke. If you had told me that Bill Hader could be unfunny, I might have punched you. Still, I give a weak recommendation just for the McLovin character. Dude was perfect. 

To their credit, Trackwrestling finally fixed the information at the end of matches to show the true winners instead of only doing it for the first few matches, so that for the rest of the tournament it would always read something like "Patrick McKee wins 7-3." Still, I don't get why you have to do an extra click to "View Final Result." Whether you click or don't click there's gonna be the same amount of lag time before the next match shows up, so why not just show the final result? 

Track also got all of the results right, at least from what I saw. That is not usually the case. On the other hand, Trackwrestling still has this bugaboo:

ILLINIWRESTLING900.jpg

• Bob 1

18 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I've never seen this happen before.  Beat the guy on the top-side, no need to beat him for a "true" placement.  That being said, Burroughs didn't weigh-in today - which would have been necessary if anyone but MM won the consolation bracket.

21 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Because burroughs didn't make weight today...and he needed to in case somebody other than MM came through for 3rd.

• Bob 1

6 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

In my opinion, Peacock did an excellent job, much better than Flo. That's especially true regarding everything besides the finals. Those are usually less than impressive when viewed through a Flo lens. It was quick and easy to switch mats. The only glitches for me occurred after about :20 into a new match, the system reset.

The cameras were top notch, and they brought you right into the action. Cameras now have zoom lenses! There were also actual camera operators who turned the cameras to continuously face the action. I was not aware that that was possible. 

I will certainly cancel Peacock after about a week. It offers almost nothing besides a Real Housewives for every major metropolitan area in America (and Dubai). I want to see Oppenheimer still, though. I did watch Superbad and was disappointed. The movie is a 113-minute fart joke. If you had told me that Bill Hader could be unfunny, I might have punched you. Still, I give a weak recommendation just for the McLovin character. Dude was perfect. 

To their credit, Trackwrestling finally fixed the information at the end of matches to show the true winners instead of only doing it for the first few matches, so that for the rest of the tournament it would always read something like "Patrick McKee wins 7-3." Still, I don't get why you have to do an extra click to "View Final Result." Whether you click or don't click there's gonna be the same amount of lag time before the next match shows up, so why not just show the final result? 

Track also got all of the results right, at least from what I saw. That is not usually the case. On the other hand, Trackwrestling still has this bugaboo:

ILLINIWRESTLING900.jpg

I also learned that Shane sparks can actually do a real play by play rather than just being a man powered entirely by coffee grinders and nose beers.

I forgot it was him speaking for most of the broadcast because he actually said good things and wasn't trying to be a warner brothers cartoon character.

• Bob 1
  • Fire 2

10 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

ILLINIWRESTLING900.jpg

Peacock did great yesterday AM,  sucked last night, then redeemed themselves today.  I agree still better than almost any Flo broadcast.

• Bob 2
  • Fire 1