Penn State fans booing Jordan Burroughs

I think some of us might have short memories and are forgetting or downplaying some of JB's "line pushing" wrestling against Dake and many others through the years: hands to the face, hard clubs, dancing around evasively with time running out, pulling up his socks slowly for a breather, trash talking off the mat, and so on.

And in many (even most) ways that is just part of the game.

He's been a great ambassador for the sport but the point is: he is also a very, very, fierce competitor and comparable at times to someone like Michael Jordan, who would always look for the slightest advantages and ways of getting into the head of his opponents.  

When you are older, you get savvier (and wiser) if you want to keep on winning.  

When you are young, you also rely on your relative advantages, too, whatever they are. 

Hands To The Face - FloWrestling

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

9 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

It's not beef if it's one-sided. NLWC had to buy the only guy to beat JB with a lifetime supply of perineum tanning lotion and red sunglasses.

But in all seriousness, MM didn't back down and acted like a punk once again. He's quickly turning into Johnny Hendricks with his consistent in-match antics. It's not a good look when you run into someone who can take your punch and dish it back out.

I don't think they're antics. I don't think he's like a Hendricks, I just think that dude is absolutely non-stop...and most of us here have wrestled someone like Mesenbrink(on MUCH lower levels as they're usually that try hard JV kid) and they just keep kinda smacking you and they're awkward. 

JB lost his composure, but Mesenbrink got about 12 shots at the whistle that seemed to have went largely ignored. 

It's not that big of a deal at the end of the day though. Mesenbrink may piss people off with his style, it's JBs job to deal with it and it's the home crowd's job to cheer for their guy. I don't have a real issue with any of this.

• Bob 3

5 hours ago, SocraTease said:

I think some of us might have short memories and are forgetting or downplaying some of JB's "line pushing" wrestling against Dake and many others through the years: hands to the face, hard clubs, dancing around evasively with time running out, pulling up his socks slowly for a breather, trash talking off the mat, and so on.

And in many (even most) ways that is just part of the game.

He's been a great ambassador for the sport but the point is: he is also a very, very, fierce competitor and comparable at times to someone like Michael Jordan, who would always look for the slightest advantages and ways of getting into the head of his opponents.  

When you are older, you get savvier (and wiser) if you want to keep on winning.  

When you are young, you also rely on your relative advantages, too, whatever they are. 

Hands To The Face - FloWrestling

I agree Burroughs does all of this now, and like you said he is just doing what he needs to do to try to stay at the top. IMO he has toed the line pretty well and nothing is really over the top. I really like what he’s doing now but he’s earned my respect for what he has done for the sport and I will give him the benefit of the doubt. 

I was in the arena and it was one of the most embarrassing fan reactions I have ever seen. To turn on someone who has been such a great ambassador for your sport and boo them like that was just horrible 

• Bob 2

I was in the arena and it was one of the most embarrassing fan reactions I have ever seen. To turn on someone who has been such a great ambassador for your sport and boo them like that was just horrible 

Kinda like PDiddy huh? wrong is wrong and he acted like a baby. Jb wrestles as dirty as anyone then cried when....Oh ya, Nolf got him.

8 hours ago, BIGTENFANBOY said:

The only thing Messenbrink and Desanto have is common is their high energy gas tank. Desanto was out to physically hurt you and disrespect you. Messenbrink is trying to out slick you. There very different.

They also both like to wrestle a little after the whistle. Like they are possessed and can’t control themselves. 

8 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

Messenbrink was acting all Desanto in that match. Several times he was a little extra.  Shove was not unwarranted. 

Unfortunately, that two handed shot he gave MM to the back of the head was the most dedicated attack he showed all tournament.

Edited by wrestle87
  • Fire 1
  • Haha 2

Guys, I don't know why I need to tell the wrestling community this, but it's okay to boo and heckle people at sporting events.

Some would say it's part of the experience.

JB understands smack talk I'm sure.

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

11 minutes ago, neweruser69 said:

Guys, I don't know why I need to tell the wrestling community this, but it's okay to boo and heckle people at sporting events.

Some would say it's part of the experience.

JB understands smack talk I'm sure.

I’m gonna disagree with this.  It’s not a standard of behavior that has historically been accepted in wrestling, and I have no interest in making it an accepted behavior in any way.

”It’s Ok to be a tone deaf d-bag” is not in any way what the sport is about.

• Bob 1
  • Fire 2

Jordan Burroughs WAS the "ambassador of our sport", but now he is just the ambassador of low impulse control. 

Nolf blanked him. I hope Nolf takes out Dake.

The fan that yelled something about his career being over is a douchebag. 

What he yelled was true, but it's not necessary to remind him. Carter will remind him on X.

Edited by Pa in Taiwan
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AnklePicker said:

They also both like to wrestle a little after the whistle. Like they are possessed and can’t control themselves. 

Messenbrink doesnt retaliate. JB shoved him and got in his face. Desanto would have reacted very differently. No one ever has had to PHYSICALLY restrain Messenbrink. He doesnt trying to start actual fights. Big big difference. 

Edited by BIGTENFANBOY

Wow... a lot of nit fanboys out there!

Just remember one thing... dynasties don't last forever.

(Just ask Okla./St, Iowa... )

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsLxvwLsZWbK8ESWZqMq5

D3

• Bob 1

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

2 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

I’ve asking for weeks but other then being good at wrestling what makes Burroughs “a great ambassador” for the sport ? 

2 hours ago, BIGTENFANBOY said:

Messenbrink doesnt retaliate. JB shoved him and got in his face. Desanto would have reacted very differently. No one ever has had to PHYSICALLY restrain Messenbrink. He doesnt trying to start actual fights. Big big difference. 

Messenbrink literally started it lol. Like imagine you’re one of the most decorated wrestlers in the world and a kid with 0 senior level accomplishments is shoving your head into the mat after the whistle multiple times then tries to shake your hand like “oops it’s all good!” Nah.

• Bob 2

"Ambassador for the sport" is some chatgpt level, no-substance having, nonsense filler words that the old, fat, bald dorks who watch this sport say to sound like they have their finger on the pulse. Its like talking wrestling technique and saying to use your "hips" or "core" as much as possible.

4 minutes ago, skandar said:

Messenbrink literally started it lol. Like imagine you’re one of the most decorated wrestlers in the world and a kid with 0 senior level accomplishments is shoving your head into the mat after the whistle multiple times then tries to shake your hand like “oops it’s all good!” Nah.

That's a good thing buddy. Do you think anyone who faces JB should just bow down and back away? You clearly dont want USA wrestling to evolve. It must piss you off we have high school kids pushing NCAA champs. People with YOUR mindset is what has kept USA wrestling down over the years.

• Fire 1
  • Clown 3

5 minutes ago, BIGTENFANBOY said:

That's a good thing buddy. Do you think anyone who faces JB should just bow down and back away? You clearly dont want USA wrestling to evolve. It must piss you off we have high school kids pushing NCAA champs. People with YOUR mindset is what has kept USA wrestling down over the years.

lol what a moron. It’s a good thing to get chippy after the whistle then throw your hands up pretending like you don’t know why your opponent is getting chippy back…? That’s a good thing to you? Oof. Embarrassing.

4 minutes ago, skandar said:

lol what a moron. It’s a good thing to get chippy after the whistle then throw your hands up pretending like you don’t know why your opponent is getting chippy back…? That’s a good thing to you? Oof. Embarrassing.

You're right, no one would ever dare push the pace and challenge JB. Good thing you're not in charge of anything because you would kill USA wrestling. Moron.

• Clown 1

2 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I’ve asking for weeks but other then being good at wrestling what makes Burroughs “a great ambassador” for the sport ? 

His great interviews.  His intelligence and insights.  His interaction with and appreciation of international fans.  Creating an international fan base.  His commitment to excellence.  

• Bob 2

14 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

It's not beef if it's one-sided. NLWC had to buy the only guy to beat JB with a lifetime supply of perineum tanning lotion and red sunglasses.

But in all seriousness, MM didn't back down and acted like a punk once again. He's quickly turning into Johnny Hendricks with his consistent in-match antics. It's not a good look when you run into someone who can take your punch and dish it back out.

i'm a penn st. fan, and a burroughs fan.  i thought MM was dirty in this match.  big time.  lost respect.  but it would have been nice if JB had taken the high road instead of his late dirt.

i will say i don't know how any fan, penn state or not, can show anything but respect for JB, arguably USA's best ever.  shame on them.  God forbid JB should pull a sock up.  he gained one extra breath, he should be flogged. 

Just now, BIGTENFANBOY said:

You're right, no one would ever dare push the pace and challenge JB. Good thing you're not in charge of anything because you would kill USA wrestling. Moron.

Lmaooo what are you even talking about? Messenbrink started the after the whistle antics. Burroughs retaliated. Only of them got booed. Thats a fact. No ones talking about “pushing the pace” or “challenging” JB lol. Who said anything about me being in charge of USA wrestling 😂 😂

Whatever argument youre having in your head isn’t taking place in reality. Take your meds today?

• Bob 1

2 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Do you know what ambassador means?

it’s not something that can just be easily quantified and you can stubbornly argue against anything brought up. Burroughs has gotten more mainstream attention than any wrestler in US history. He’s had countless appearances and interviews with huge programs. He’s been nothing but gracious, charming, articulate and engaging in all of them. He’s been the key to USA wrestling moving into the modern age. A lot of the country (rightfully) views wrestling as a sport for dumb racist jocks. He’s done a great job of dispelling that view.

• Bob 1