The insight and wisdom of Pyles on display…

On 4/18/2024 at 3:22 PM, Old Dirty said:

Pyles:

"we need more weight classes."

"we should get rid of 57kg."

USA coming off the team championships with 1st place in 22 & 23

"Our guys are so malnourished that they cant compete"

"Wrestlers dont have tension towards their opponents like women's basketball players do"

I'm pretty sure he simply said that they should make the weight 58 kg or 59 kg, not just eliminate a weight class(a pretty valid argument IMO).

And the guys who are cutting to 57 are...usually malnourished. Vito should be a guy who's competing for an Olympic Title and he doesn't have a weight class. He's going to have to go up(I believe). 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

I'm pretty sure he simply said that they should make the weight 58 kg or 59 kg, not just eliminate a weight class(a pretty valid argument IMO).

And the guys who are cutting to 57 are...usually malnourished. Vito should be a guy who's competing for an Olympic Title and he doesn't have a weight class. He's going to have to go up(I believe). 

Pyles statement made about as much sense as saying we shouldn't have a lowest weight class.

He was just trying to act like he was on the right side of a non existent debate that kept Vito out of the trials. Pandering to the moment doesn't get more vapid.

Edited by Hammerlock3

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

47 minutes ago, lisa morales said:

You and Jason having your periods at the same time I see.

Or you could just hold yourself accountable for your own actions(words), albeit it is on a Bulletin Board System (BBS).

Oh wait... you're being a troll - never mind then.  Trolls don't do that.  It is actually a defining characteristic in their Pillars of Foundation.

You could almost call it a code of honor, or creed.  The Troll's Creed.

• Haha 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

11 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

Pyles statement made about as much sense as saying we shouldn't have a lowest weight class.

He was just trying to act like he was on the right side of a non existent debate that kept Vito out of the trials. Pandering to the moment doesn't get more vapid.

Ok...all of that is fine. I happen to agree with him, we should raise it up a bit, there's too big of a gap, but whatever, you can disagree.

What he absolutely did not do was advocate to eliminate a weight or eliminate THAT weight altogether. There are very few adults who can safely cut to 125. It'd be outstanding if we could advocate going back to the 10 weights and just keep them as the WC weights...

Either way, pandering or not, what Pyles said was grossly misrepresented. 

I agree with Christian for the United state 59 or 60 KG being the lowest weight would probably be ideal. However, there are a lot of nations that seem to not have as much of an issue getting guys at that weight probably because their average population weight is much lighter in general. So I'm not sure it's not a case of us looking at our team as a majority rather than a minority.

14 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

It’s certainly an “existing” debate and wasn’t just because of Vito.  For example Gilman struggling with the cut was brought up as well prior to the trials, and some of the speculation around Lee was that he was at an advantage because he seemed to be one of the only top guys that didn’t appear to struggle with the cut.

And yeah as was mentioned wanting to raise 57kg isn’t mutually exclusive from wanting more Olympic weights.  IIRC in that discussion they were making suggestions for weight classes if there were 8 or something.

• Bob 1

15 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

It’s certainly an “existing” debate and wasn’t just because of Vito.  For example Gilman struggling with the cut was brought up as well prior to the trials, and some of the speculation around Lee was that he was at an advantage because he seemed to be one of the only top guys that didn’t appear to struggle with the cut.

And yeah as was mentioned wanting to raise 57kg isn’t mutually exclusive from wanting more Olympic weights.  IIRC in that discussion they were making suggestions for weight classes if there were 8 or something.

i describe the debate as non-existent because the problem is that they're are too few weights, which no one is arguing about, not that 57 is too low. 

2 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Ok...all of that is fine. I happen to agree with him, we should raise it up a bit, there's too big of a gap, but whatever, you can disagree.

What he absolutely did not do was advocate to eliminate a weight or eliminate THAT weight altogether. There are very few adults who can safely cut to 125. It'd be outstanding if we could advocate going back to the 10 weights and just keep them as the WC weights...

Either way, pandering or not, what Pyles said was grossly misrepresented. 

i'm not implying he said that. I'm saying that as long as we have this few weight classes people are going to struggle and it has nothing to do with 57k being too low.

• Bob 1

10 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

i describe the debate as non-existent because the problem is that they're are too few weights, which no one is arguing about, not that 57 is too low. 

I believe on the same FRL where they were talking about raising 57kg they were also talking about adding more Olympic weights.

I’m sure almost every wrestling fan (except Nomad IIRC) wants more Olympic weights. The reason it’s not talked about as much is because it has a slim chance of happening. 

3 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I believe on the same FRL where they were talking about raising 57kg they were also talking about adding more Olympic weights.

I’m sure almost every wrestling fan (except Nomad IIRC) wants more Olympic weights. The reason it’s not talked about as much is because it has a slim chance of happening. 

i actually appreciate that they don't belabor that point, because unless you are talking to the dorks who run the olympics no one is on the other side of that argument. I just don't appreciate them substituting vapid opinions about that could apply to every weight (save heavyweight). Anyone that statement is not intended to contradict you I'm just making myself clear.

Yeah Nomad is cringy result of a modest intellect willfully trying to be interesting. 

3 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

i'm not implying he said that. I'm saying that as long as we have this few weight classes people are going to struggle and it has nothing to do with 57k being too low.

Ok...but I was replying to the person who did say that...that's the point. 

CP told everyone DT declined, but sounds like the opposite is happening. More infinite wisdom... 

Willie confirmed what CP said.

So, apparently something changed since they both got their info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Willie confirmed what CP said.

So, apparently something changed since they both got their info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe Magic Man leaked some false info to get the boosters to dig deep into their pockets... Smart man 

• Brain 1

I figured someone would use this to crap on Pyles.  Too good.

From Pyles, right off bat, they hired a firm to help find a coach.  Before OTTs.  Had serious candidates but couldn’t land them.  So Pyles was right — hard looks elsewhere from the start.  Then DT reached out … hmmmm.  And yes, Pyles thought the answer was no … turned out to be wrong.  What an idiot!!

This assumption that there was a presumptive heir has been a bad one apparently.  No matter how logical it seemed.  

• Bob 1

14 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

my argument all along has been that because there are so few weights, they should be moved to spots between the existing non oly year weights…it gives you deeper weight classes when everyone is forced to go up or down

1 minute ago, Ched64 said:

my argument all along has been that because there are so few weights, they should be moved to spots between the existing non oly year weights…it gives you deeper weight classes when everyone is forced to go up or down

that might make sense, off the top of my head I'd say a problem is that no one wants their studs making a new weight at the olympics.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Dark Energy said:

I figured someone would use this to crap on Pyles.  Too good.

From Pyles, right off bat, they hired a firm to help find a coach.  Before OTTs.  Had serious candidates but couldn’t land them.  So Pyles was right — hard looks elsewhere from the start.  Then DT reached out … hmmmm.  And yes, Pyles thought the answer was no … turned out to be wrong.  What an idiot!!

This assumption that there was a presumptive heir has been a bad one apparently.  No matter how logical it seemed.  

Touché, at least from me (re: the assumption of a presumptive heir). I went off of the info at the time, but I can admit when I’m wrong. Damn do I feel bad for Coleman, though…

Edited by The_KC_Godfather

4 minutes ago, The_KC_Godfather said:

Touché, at least from me (re: the assumption of a presumptive heir). I went off of the info at the time, but I can admit when I’m wrong. Damn do I feel bad for Coleman, though…

I did the same.  Figured OK State would honor the deal made to lure Coleman from UNC.  Makes me wonder what John Smith has to say about this?  I suspect it won't be long before he makes a comment.

• Fire 1

30 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

I did the same.  Figured OK State would honor the deal made to lure Coleman from UNC.  Makes me wonder what John Smith has to say about this?  I suspect it won't be long before he makes a comment.

But do we know there was a deal to lure him from UNC? 

1 hour ago, pokemonster said:

But do we know there was a deal to lure him from UNC? 

If he’s not completely crazy, there had to have been. Anybody that would take that gamble with a huge move for their family and a D1 coaching position on the line, without some sort of guarantee, would be nuts.

My guess is that OSU had every intention of making Coleman the next HC and made some sort of guarantee. Then, DT didn’t make the Olympic team, so they thought “Hey, we’ll throw the barn at DT and pay off CS to make it all go away and move forward with the only person who can compete with Cael.”

Shady af, but I guess business is business. My opinion, anyway…