Burroughs vs. Dake

16 hours ago, peanut said:

JB is 35, almost 36. The oldest freestyler I can recall winning a world title is Bonne at 34. JB’s just too old for the most elite levels of this sport. Even Dake is getting close to the end of his elite career.

Big Bruce won in 1995 three months shy of turning 35.

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

5 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

"if multiple time world champ and most recent world silver medalist attempts go-to move then he doesn't deserve the spot"

lol ok. He didn't hit it last time. What's to say he doesn't again? If your kid doesn't finish a shot do you tell them to quit shooting?

it's pretty obvious isn't it... that dake didn't do much... he couldn't hit his wrap... even on lesser opponents.

people figured it out. it's called film study.

now he did still place 2nd. good. but if he is still relying on the wrap. he didn't learn.

perhaps i was a bit overboard on saying he doesn't deserve the spot.

but if he made no  improvements ... then im not wrong.

If he has made improvements than good on him.

i will root for whoever gets the spot.

27 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

it's pretty obvious isn't it... that dake didn't do much... he couldn't hit his wrap... even on lesser opponents.

people figured it out. it's called film study.

now he did still place 2nd. good. but if he is still relying on the wrap. he didn't learn.

perhaps i was a bit overboard on saying he doesn't deserve the spot.

but if he made no  improvements ... then im not wrong.

If he has made improvements than good on him.

i will root for whoever gets the spot.

tl;dr if Dake is only second-best in the world he's a bum but you will root for (against) him if he gets the spot

i am an idiot on the internet

Rooting for JB, but another big factor is the weight - Jordan simply isn't a 74kg guy anymore and it's probably the toughest cut for all the elite guys.  Heck the cut was starting to get the better of him 3-4 years ago and before he moved up. 

I can't help but think he won't have the some pop and energy after those weigh-ins.  Hope I'm wrong though...

Edited by Gantry

JB likely has spear-doubled himself into a neck injury, and Dake is the returning freaking silver medalist.  That’s higher than both Snyder and Helen Maroulis placed last year.  

Dake is a monster, and he blanked burroughs so hard in 2021 that JB completely left the weight class.  The weight cut is likely an unacknowledged/underappreciated issue for JB now too.

I think we see a nolf dake final, and it goes predictably.  

Well I think that JB isn’t going to make it to Dake in the finals. I believe that Nolf will be the guy to face Dake. JB may be super focused but Father Time is still going to be a huge factor. 

On 4/11/2024 at 7:34 PM, bnwtwg said:

Imagine how Dake is going to feel if Burroughs has to wrestle the whole tournament, goes three matches, and wins it all. Does he finally admit that JB was better all those years?

11 hours ago, Red95 said:

Burroughs is on the Mt Rushmore of USA wrestling so it would be unwise to look past him. He absolutely could win OTT but he too has lost a step and has a few landmines on the path to the finals and many of them will be tougher than Marstellar was last year. But it’s going to be fun to watch! 

On 4/11/2024 at 7:34 PM, bnwtwg said:

Imagine how Dake is going to feel if Burroughs has to wrestle the whole tournament, goes three matches, and wins it all. Does he finally admit that JB was better all those years?

When has dake ever said otherwise? It is a huge advantage to miss the challenge and sit in the finals, there is no denying it.  as far as anyone knows dake has a huge amount of respect for jb and was merely pointing out the inequity of the system.  but that doesnt mean he doesnt respect him.  he has trained many years to defeat the GOAT and he did so.  Imagine how JB will feel if he cant get past the challenge tournament to even face him.  in my mind that is the more likely scenario.

23 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

tl;dr if Dake is only second-best in the world he's a bum but you will root for (against) him if he gets the spot

its time to get over yourself.

i admitted i shouldn't have said he didn't deserve the spot

8 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

its time to get over yourself.

i admitted i shouldn't have said he didn't deserve the spot

It's hard to get over myself. My bridge is still as bad as when I got pinned all the time so idk what makes you think I can all of a sudden get off my back at this age.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

i am an idiot on the internet

8 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

It's hard to get over myself. My bridge is still as bad as when I got pinned all the time so idk what makes you think I can all of a sudden get off my back at this age.

My wasn't all that great back when, but I wish it was still as good as it was back then.  Kinda sounds like a country song...