Who Should Coach Wisconsin Next Year?

Who Should Coach Wisconsin Next Year?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Who SHOULD Coach Wisconsin Next Year?

• Bono
    • Askren(s)
    • Cunningham
    • Metcalf
    • Pritzlaff
    • Ruschell
    • Brandvold
    • Reader
    • Other

Didn't UW select Bono over both Ben Askren or Damian Hahn like 6 years ago?  Either Askren or Hahn would have been far better choices and the  program would have been in  much better shape.  I'm not sure either guy would want the job if it became available, but I think either guy could get things turned around, with Askren probably more quickly as he could probably lure some AWA guys to transfer over.

Wouldn’t whichever Askren brother people want to take over UW leaving AWA do long term damage to AWA, thus nullifying the potential advantages to getting an Askren on UW staff? Just thinking out loud here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, poorwrestler said:

Wouldn’t whichever Askren brother people want to take over UW leaving AWA do long term damage to AWA, thus nullifying the potential advantages to getting an Askren on UW staff? Just thinking out loud here

Nah, if one left they would be fine, they have head coaches at each location

they wouldn’t miss a beat 

That said, I don’t think Bono gets canned, if Mac didn’t shitcan Gard , bozo is probably safe this year. They will most likely give him the annual one year extension.

Alverez screwed up this hire, Mac has a chance to fix it! 

3 hours ago, poorwrestler said:

I said that a couple pages ago

i am an idiot on the internet

Pritzlaff would be the ideal hire. 2x NCAA Champ at Wisconsin and has been one of the best assistant coaches in the country for a long time.

He was an assistant at Wisconsin when they finished 4th. Not sure of the circumstances of him leaving.

18 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

This would be a very interesting hire.  I feel like Kolat might be too principled to leave the Navy job.  

I think he belongs at a major wrestling school looking turn the corner. But yeah, there has to be something special about coaching at one of the military academies. 

12 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

This would be a very interesting hire.  I feel like Kolat might be too principled to leave the Navy job.  

He left on weird terms from Wisconsin.  Was assistant coach in late 90s when the Steiners were there and all three were still competing.  Kolat left Wisconsin mid-season.

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

1 hour ago, poorwrestler said:

The coach Wisconsin should want is Trevor Brandvold. But f you guys you can’t have him!

Why not, he doesn't like money?   💰 

15 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

Not money that smells of cheese and spotted cow

spottedCow.jpg

he more likes the smell of gopher dung?  🤷‍♀️

😉

Edited by ionel
  • Bob 1
  • Fire 1

On 3/28/2024 at 5:25 PM, wrestle87 said:

This is tough, are we talking about getting Wisconsin to actually kind of be a program again...or "who is the guy who can come in and make this amongst the best 3 teams in the nation?"

In my entire lifetime, Wisconsin has always been the same kind of team...extremely inconsistent across the lineup, but always with a few dudes who the average ncaa qualifer wants nothing to do with.  

After a brief perusal of AA data, Wisconsin has only had 2 seasons since 1980 with more than 3 AA's, those was 2010 and 2011.  

The functional high-watermark for the program, which could be something that is an issue at the institutional level instead of the coaching level, is effectively 3 AA's.  

In that time span since 1980, Wisconsin has had 6 National Champions.

Call me crazy badger fans...are you guys a little delusional when it comes to the actual historic strength and institutional support of your program?

Yeah...BUT, there has been a substantial change in the prep talent in Wisconsin. The Askren's provided the infrastructure for these guys to all come and work out. That was a big problem in Wisconsin. The talent was spread out and there were few clubs.

AND then on top of that, it's not like they just provided the buildings, each place has a coach who wrestled and had success in College save for...I guess where Messenbrink is, and he was one of the best coaches in the state...and an even better coach when talking about coaching the elite Wrestlers. The state didn't have much of that. 

That combo of just locations and then coaches who Wrestled at a high level have really changed the game in Wisconsin. So in theory, they should be able to do more than they have historically.

It's been beaten to death already, but just going through and about what their lineup would look like, you could have just dominance on the upper half of the lineup with for arguments sake, '57-Messenbrink, '65 O'Toole, '74-Mocco, '84-Parker, '97-Buchhannan. Just that stretch right there would be pretty damn impressive. You could also have Barnett at '25, Clark at '33, keep Zargo at '49. That's a top 3 team right there. And I know Wisconsin's had some issues where their admissions is a pain in the ass, even with Wrestlers of O'Toole's caliber who they hadn't been able to get into UW in the past, but...I believe all these guys are really good students as well. I used O'Toole as an example because...I didn't want to be a dick and use a real example of someone who couldn't get in there.  

There's also as much talent still coming as there is already in College. Sinclair is absolutely on O'Toole/Messenbrink's level at this point, Hopke, the Mirasola's, Charlie Millard is an extremely impressive kid. There's a '74 Jake Stoefell who is impressive.

Just now, scourge165 said:

Yeah...BUT, there has been a substantial change in the prep talent in Wisconsin. The Askren's provided the infrastructure for these guys to all come and work out. That was a big problem in Wisconsin. The talent was spread out and there were few clubs.

AND then on top of that, it's not like they just provided the buildings, each place has a coach who wrestled and had success in College save for...I guess where Messenbrink is, and he was one of the best coaches in the state...and an even better coach when talking about coaching the elite Wrestlers. The state didn't have much of that. 

That combo of just locations and then coaches who Wrestled at a high level have really changed the game in Wisconsin. So in theory, they should be able to do more than they have historically.

It's been beaten to death already, but just going through and about what their lineup would look like, you could have just dominance on the upper half of the lineup with for arguments sake, '57-Messenbrink, '65 O'Toole, '74-Mocco, '84-Parker, '97-Buchhannan. Just that stretch right there would be pretty damn impressive. You could also have Barnett at '25, Clark at '33, keep Zargo at '49. That's a top 3 team right there. And I know Wisconsin's had some issues where their admissions is a pain in the ass, even with Wrestlers of O'Toole's caliber who they hadn't been able to get into UW in the past, but...I believe all these guys are really good students as well. I used O'Toole as an example because...I didn't want to be a dick and use a real example of someone who couldn't get in there.  

There's also as much talent still coming as there is already in College. Sinclair is absolutely on O'Toole/Messenbrink's level at this point, Hopke, the Mirasola's, Charlie Millard is an extremely impressive kid. There's a '74 Jake Stoefell who is impressive.

Oh...and as for the coach, it's obvious to me. The same guy MOST programs would hire right now if they could.

You take Cunningham. Let the Askrens do their thing. You take a piece of PSU away...the guy a lot of people say is a co-head coach. And I know Sanderson has sacrificed a little salary to keep him there as he's such an enormous part of that program.

IF you wanted to make a splash, you have someone who is willing to throw millions at the program. You try and pry him away. I'd assume he'd have the Askren's respect...there'd be a mutual respect there.

Imagine the guys who'd come with him...which is not to say you'd have an exodus from PSU, but you'd get some guys he's close to as coaches...and then...PSU is going to have a team of backups that would probably win a team title(not really, but they have a little depth). 

I think the answer to this question for literally ANY program should be Cunningham. And at Wisconsin with the Askren's involved in AWA and almost disqualifying for that reason, it's an easy one.

More realistic would be Trevor Brandvold. 

21 hours ago, GreatDane67 said:

Pritzlaff would be the ideal hire. 2x NCAA Champ at Wisconsin and has been one of the best assistant coaches in the country for a long time.

He was an assistant at Wisconsin when they finished 4th. Not sure of the circumstances of him leaving.

He was basically the HC in waiting...they started to have a little more success, Davis pushed the TL, Pritzlaff took an interview that wasn't approved IIRC, maybe he did it again, then he was basically let go. Don't see that being a good fit.

On 3/29/2024 at 12:49 PM, poorwrestler said:

Nah, I think they've build a good enough core of coaches...and really as, if not more importantly, the infrastructure that you could take any one coach out and you'd still have enough good coaches to keep it rolling.

The AD has already(apparently) said it wouldn't be Ben as he's too controversial/outspoken. So you'd likely get Max. I'm making a LOOSE comparison here so please don't jump down my throat, but from what I've heard, there are SOME similarities between he and Sanderson in their mannerisms as coaches. How they keep guys relaxed, he's organized, he's less controversial(or not really controversial at all). 

I don't want people twisting that into saying I'm suggesting he'd be Cael, I just feel like you'd get a more laid back approach and guys Wrestling free...IF you were to pick one of the three main coaches at AWA(Messenbrink, Ben and Max).

One last thought in these...TLTR posts, but I'd guess you're going to see former AWA guys who've had a LOT of success coming back and coaching at AWA as well. Maybe not everyone, but...a couple guys. So I don't think they'd see a drop off

Even if they can’t lure a guy like Cunningham, I think a guy like Brandvold would be pretty successful. He’s a Wisconsin native who had a great career, has been coaching in college and must have good connections to Wisconsin high school coaches.

@scourge165 do you know if Brandvold has a good relationship with Askren. If not, then maybe it’s not much better than Bono, but since Minnesota lands AWA guys I’d imagine he and Askren are on good terms.

Edited by BuckyBadger

Even if they can’t lure a guy like Cunningham, I think a guy like Brandvold would be pretty successful. He’s a Wisconsin native who had a great career, has been coaching in college and must have good connections to Wisconsin high school coaches.
[mention=430]scourge165[/mention] do you know if Brandvold has a good relationship with Askren. If not, then maybe it’s not much better than Bono, but since Minnesota lands AWA guys I’d imagine he and Askren are on good terms.

Brandvold has had a significant hand in recruiting Jager Eisch, Ethan Riddle, Charlie Millard, Wyatt Duchateau and any other AWA kids at Minnesota.

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

I say let Bono stick around a few more years, let him show the ropes to Parker Keckheisen, then give PK the reigns. If he coaches like he wrestles, constant offense, rock solid positioning, stand out conditioning, etc. AWA connections and Schwab-induced intensity seems like an outstanding potential combination. 

• Fire 1

On 3/30/2024 at 4:23 PM, BuckyBadger said:

@scourge165 do you know if Brandvold has a good relationship with Askren. If not, then maybe it’s not much better than Bono, but since Minnesota lands AWA guys I’d imagine he and Askren are on good terms.

I don't know either and haven't heard. But, as others mentioned, Minnesota has recruited AWA kids pretty well. So...it's apparently not a bad one.