Who Should Coach Wisconsin Next Year?

Who Should Coach Wisconsin Next Year?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Who SHOULD Coach Wisconsin Next Year?

• Bono
    • Askren(s)
    • Cunningham
    • Metcalf
    • Pritzlaff
    • Ruschell
    • Brandvold
    • Reader
    • Other

32 minutes ago, animalhouse said:

Interested to see what the general public thinks about what's going on at Wisconsin, and where they should go from here. 

I think we need a good technique coach. And someone that can actually show progress with our kids not just be the head coach for six seasons and have the same results year in and year out. I think everyone would like Ben Askren obviously but I would be good with like David Taylor, Logan Stiebler , Jordan Burroughs, etc.

This is tough, are we talking about getting Wisconsin to actually kind of be a program again...or "who is the guy who can come in and make this amongst the best 3 teams in the nation?"

In my entire lifetime, Wisconsin has always been the same kind of team...extremely inconsistent across the lineup, but always with a few dudes who the average ncaa qualifer wants nothing to do with.  

After a brief perusal of AA data, Wisconsin has only had 2 seasons since 1980 with more than 3 AA's, those was 2010 and 2011.  

The functional high-watermark for the program, which could be something that is an issue at the institutional level instead of the coaching level, is effectively 3 AA's.  

In that time span since 1980, Wisconsin has had 6 National Champions.

Call me crazy badger fans...are you guys a little delusional when it comes to the actual historic strength and institutional support of your program?

Edited by wrestle87
  • Brain 1

1 minute ago, wrestle87 said:

This is tough, are we talking about getting Wisconsin to actually kind of be a program again...or "who is the guy who can come in and make this amongst the best 3 teams in the nation?"

In my entire lifetime, Wisconsin has always been the same kind of time...extremely inconsistent across the lineup, but always with a few dudes who the average ncaa qualifer wants nothing to do with.  

After a brief perusal of AA data, Wisconsin has only had 2 seasons since 1980 with more than 3 AA's, those was 2010 and 2011.  

The functional high-watermark for the program, which could be something that is an issue at the institutional level instead of the coaching level, is effectively 3 AA's.  

Call me crazy badger fans...are you guys a little delusional when it comes to the actual historic strength and institutional support of your program?

The high school wrestling landscape of blue chips in Wisconsin has changed significantly in the last 5-10 years, IMO. Making this more interesting of a topic.

• Bob 1

Just now, animalhouse said:

The high school wrestling landscape of blue chips in Wisconsin has changed significantly in the last 5-10 years, IMO. Making this more interesting of a topic.

So, I'm curious, kind of bc I'm from NJ and the dynamic is somewhat similar in regards to high school talent vs viable wrestling destinations, do wisconsin fans continue to root for Wisconsin kids when they go out of state? 

I know from NJ, that always sort of seems to be the case, you know who the jersey kids are, and you root for them regardless of the singlet, because its good for wrestling within the state.  

NJ college programs have never been (and still are not) a major proven pathway to major success at the NCAA level.  They won't actively get in your way or hinder you, which is great progress, but they aren't going to turn you into a champion.

This has always been kind of known and acknowledged, so any time a kid can get an offer to a bigger program with more pedigree, support, and a better track record, it's always viewed as a serious win.  

• Fire 1

With a one of the Askrens at the helm and has an assistant that could take on the administrative burden Wiscy could build a strong program.  The pipeline to AWA would make them a perennial power.  

• Bob 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

2 hours ago, animalhouse said:

Interested to see what the general public thinks about what's going on at Wisconsin, and where they should go from here. 

SmartSelect_20240328-183300_Chrome.jpg.9fd89f1881f34857ab731311111201d5.jpg

2 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

In my entire lifetime, Wisconsin has always been the same kind of team...extremely inconsistent across the lineup, but always with a few dudes who the average ncaa qualifer wants nothing to do with.  

Weren’t those Pritzlaff and Frayer’s last two years on the staff?

We can name as many names as we want, but if UW moves on from Bono (which they should) the main requirement for whoever gets hired will be to establish a great relationship with the AWA club. They have so many talented wrestlers that we need to keep in the state. My personal choice would be Ben Askren because the hire would give the program quite a bit of buzz in the wrestling world. 

• Bob 2

I'd consult with both Askrens and John Mesenbrink on who to hire as coach.  Instead of poaching youth for college within the same state - let the AWA program alone since its running successfully.  But make sure you have their view before going forward.  The goal is alignment

• Bob 3

Wisconsin season ticket holder but lifelong Hawkeye fan… I know, right. 😂

1. Wisconsin’s wrestling facilities are abysmal. They sorely need an upgrade.

2. The Badgers simply cannot compete with the NIL capabilities of Penn State and others. What is the answer to increase the collective funding?

3. Like it or not, having Askren “on board with whomever the Badgers might hire is extremely important… losing too many high-quality wrestlers to out-of-state programs. The in-state wrestlers who stay, honestly, are not “those guys!”

4. Attendance at home meets is not amazing… wrestling is most definitely a fringe sport at Madison. Can changing that help grow the program?

Gents, these are just my random thoughts about the program; take them for what they are worth. 

• Bob 2

13 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

How do folks in Madison feel about Howe? I can't remember if there were hard feelings when he left.

UW fans woukd feel great. He left with Pritzlaff and obviously tied his cart to the right horse. He is the best recruit Wiscy ever landed.

• Bob 1

i am an idiot on the internet

1 hour ago, wrestlingfanforlife said:

Wisconsin season ticket holder but lifelong Hawkeye fan… I know, right. 😂

1. Wisconsin’s wrestling facilities are abysmal. They sorely need an upgrade.

2. The Badgers simply cannot compete with the NIL capabilities of Penn State and others. What is the answer to increase the collective funding?

3. Like it or not, having Askren “on board with whomever the Badgers might hire is extremely important… losing too many high-quality wrestlers to out-of-state programs. The in-state wrestlers who stay, honestly, are not “those guys!”

4. Attendance at home meets is not amazing… wrestling is most definitely a fringe sport at Madison. Can changing that help grow the program?

Gents, these are just my random thoughts about the program; take them for what they are worth. 

45 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

UW fans woukd feel great. He left with Pritzlaff and obviously tied his cart to the right horse. He is the best recruit Wiscy ever landed.

Jeff Jaggers