Cyclone State?

23 minutes ago, AgaveMaria said:

All hype and hope aside.

Who wins the dual with Iowa next season?

Prob depends on whether Jimmy gets the 3 Ferrari enrolled don't ya think?  

• Bob 1

Lol, I would really enjoy it if the state had to legally change it's name every year depending on which wrestling team finished higher in march. 

Some day it might even be the Panther State.

Edited by wrestle87
  • Bob 1

16 hours ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Brother you have some serious fact checking to do. Micic is not in Michigan and Ed Ruth is in the Balkans. Nate Carr is not in the room helping out. Illinois, apologies to our venerated blogger, has been hot trash for a while. They redshirted a ton this season but lets see how they are doing next year before we start speaking nicely about them.

5 hours ago, KLCarnegieTech_1969 said:

Maybe you should check your facts.  I stand by what I said.  Micic might not be in Michigan today, and Ruth might be in the Balkans, but they are both affiliated with the program.  A far cry from TNT and Morningside. 

What metric are you using to say Illinois has passed Iowa?  

1 hour ago, Winners Circle said:

I think you'd have a hard time convincing any non-Hawkeye fan that it's not even worth having a debate over.

Anyone that rationally looks at the output of success over the last 15 years would conclude that Iowa State has been little brother in the state of Iowa. They may turn the tide and pass Iowa in the future but out placing them once at nationals in the last 15 years by 1.5 points in a year that they lost the dual to them and Iowa lost half their starting lineup to a gambling probe would be a very, very weak argument. 

16 minutes ago, Gus said:

Anyone that rationally looks at the output of success over the last 15 years would conclude that Iowa State has been little brother in the state of Iowa. They may turn the tide and pass Iowa in the future but out placing them once at nationals in the last 15 years by 1.5 points in a year that they lost the dual to them and Iowa lost half their starting lineup to a gambling probe would be a very, very weak argument. 

1. What does the last 15 years have to do with it being a Cyclone state RIGHT NOW?

2. Some would say they have already passed Iowa based on how the two teams finished at the national tournament. 

3. As far as losing to them in a dual this year goes, does our sport have a dual championship? Until we do, the individual national tournament is what matters and I'm pretty sure EVERY college coach in America would agree. 

11 minutes ago, Winners Circle said:

1. What does the last 15 years have to do with it being a Cyclone state RIGHT NOW?

2. Some would say they have already passed Iowa based on how the two teams finished at the national tournament. 

3. As far as losing to them in a dual this year goes, does our sport have a dual championship? Until we do, the individual national tournament is what matters and I'm pretty sure EVERY college coach in America would agree. 

You're really stretching yourself here.  That's not how "ownership of a geographic area" works in a sports fandom context.  Here's some examples:

No matter what they do, New York will never be a Nets town.  The Knicks own.

No matter what they do, LA will never be a Clippers town.  The Lakers own.

No matter what the Buffalo Bills do, New York will still be Giants/Jets/Bills state (in that order), even though the first two teams play in New Jersey.

Your whole argument centers around a single data point and you're trying to extrapolate it to have huge, wide-ranging meaning because people like Iowa be down and like pointing and laughing.  Iowa is not a Cyclone State.  It is unlikely to ever become a Cyclone State.  Congrats to the Iowa State fans, coaches, and wrestlers for outplacing Iowa this year, though.

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1

I don't have a metric.  Let try and be more clear.  My apologies if my remarks were misleading.  What I was trying to say is  Iowa has been in decline since the departure of Lee, DeSanto, Murin, Kaleb Young and Michael Kemerer.  If those athletes from PA had not wrestled at Iowa, the decline would have started sooner.  Additionally, I don't see it getting any better.  TNT do not have the appeal as they once did.  My point was more of a prediction.  Because of Illinois' younger and more dynamic coaching staff (Poeta, Delgado, O'Connor, Martinez, Ed Ruth, Jeremy Hunter) Illinois should be drawing better kids with Chicago in their back yard.  

10 minutes ago, KLCarnegieTech_1969 said:

I don't have a metric.  Let try and be more clear.  My apologies if my remarks were misleading.  What I was trying to say is  Iowa has been in decline since the departure of Lee, DeSanto, Murin, Kaleb Young and Michael Kemerer.  If those athletes from PA had not wrestled at Iowa, the decline would have started sooner.  Additionally, I don't see it getting any better.  TNT do not have the appeal as they once did.  My point was more of a prediction.  Because of Illinois' younger and more dynamic coaching staff (Poeta, Delgado, O'Connor, Martinez, Ed Ruth, Jeremy Hunter) Illinois should be drawing better kids with Chicago in their back yard.  

Most of the guys you listed either graduated last year or the year before, with this year being amplified by a gambling scandal that took additional starters away.  Meanwhile those young and dynamic bucks at Illinois have had one All American and 9 NCAA qualifiers since Poeta took over according to the Illinois website.  Iowa had nine qualifiers this year. WTF are we talking about right now? 

• Brain 1

17 hours ago, Winners Circle said:

Until we do, the individual national tournament is what matters and I'm pretty sure EVERY college coach in America would agree. 

Not Cael. To him, this is all just a game. Bigger things out there thanks to Our Heavenly Father. 

1 hour ago, JuanMogen said:

Not Cael. To him, this is all just a game. Bigger things out there thanks to Our Heavenly Father. 

What about his Heavenly Mother? But, the Mormon God is a polygamist so he may not be sure which of the wives is responsible for him?

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Didn't Iowa beat ISU H2H this year?

Yep. Cyclone fans finally sold out the arena anticipating an easy win and they still choked. Fair weather wrestling fans.

Dresser really shit the bed that day aswell. Embarrassing coaching

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, WildTurk said:

Yep. Cyclone fans finally sold out the arena anticipating an easy win and they still choked. Fair weather wrestling fans.

Dresser really shit the bed that day aswell. Embarrassing coaching

And it only sold out because lot of Iowa fans. They also give away free tickets to high school clubs/teams

• Brain 1

On 3/27/2024 at 5:40 PM, AgaveMaria said:

All hype and hope aside.

Who wins the dual with Iowa next season?

It’s early, so lineups could change if transfers, but based on lineups I’ve seen projected so far:

125 Ayala dec Terukina/Perryman 3-0

133 Frost dec Schriever/transfer 3-3

141 Block dec other Frost 6-3

149 Johnson/Echemendia dec Rathjen 6-6

157 Caliendo dec Chittum/Johnson 9-6

165 Kennedy dec Chittum/Euton/Rojas 12-6

174 Arnold dec Gaitan 15-6

184 Brands dec Tate Naak. 18-6

197 Glazier dec Hagarty/Bartelt 21-6

285 Bastida Mdec Hill 21-10

May see Iowa get a transfer at 133 and ISU at 184/197. Hard to predict but best guess