One year rentals. The portal, are they good or bad?

42 minutes ago, Fred said:

Let me guess.. Penn state fan?

Nah, strong athlete supporter who had to navigate a litany of self-serving coaches between the 8-years of high school and college, and who paid for "the trade" of education with a few surgeries of my own.   

Also, a long time college football fan who has watched the immense amount of injury and physical damage athletes would put themselves through in vain bc they lost out on the politics side of things with a coach who didn't like them.

In this new setup, you produce, you get paid.  It is more mercenary in nature, and it is challenging for some institutions who will gripe and whine, but it means that the kid who can produce for two years and winds up blowing out a knee, a shoulder, etc. won't be walking away from the endeavor empty handed.  And it means if you get lied to by a coach, an all too common reality of recruiting, you can change your circumstances unpenalized.  It empowers athletes, which is a good thing.  

• Brain 1

36 minutes ago, fishbane said:

I guess they weren't all 1 year rentals, but PSU had 4 transfer starters this year.  Nagao (3 year rental), Mesenbrink (4 year rental), Truax (1 year rental), and Kerkvliet (5 year rental)

Michigan must be the team with the 4 1 year rentals and a team trophy; DeAugustino (1 year), Cannon (1 year/injured), Gomez (1/2 year), Griffith (1 year), and Davison ( 1 year).

What team had 4 1-year rentals and didn't get a trophy? 

I can’t even think of any with more than two, and the only one with two that I can think of is Indiana (Lee and Fongaro)

So my thoughts are that the portal can be good for a guy who is very good but can't crack the line up at his current school.  It allows them more years to compete and potentially place at the NCAA tournament.  Just as a PSU fan to see guys like Teske, Negron, Neville, Beard get their chance and get more than one year makes me happy.

However, if you are a starter and haven't lost your head coach I have very mixed feelings about these guys moving on.  It is bad for the smaller schools and those with less booster NIL money.  Problem is I have no idea how to stop it.  The NIL is really out of control and the NCAA has almost no way to put that genie back on the bottle.

• Bob 2

47 minutes ago, fishbane said:

I guess they weren't all 1 year rentals, but PSU had 4 transfer starters this year.  Nagao (3 year rental), Mesenbrink (4 year rental), Truax (1 year rental), and Kerkvliet (5 year rental)

Michigan must be the team with the 4 1 year rentals and a team trophy; DeAugustino (1 year), Cannon (1 year/injured), Gomez (1/2 year), Griffith (1 year), and Davison ( 1 year).

Iowa had 4 transfer starters and didn't win a trophy: Teske, Woods, Franek, Caliendo

• Bob 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Iowa had 4 transfer starters and didn't win a trophy: Teske, Woods, Franek, Caliendo

They only had 1-1 year rental.  They're other transfers (Cruz, Teske, Woods, Voinovich, Caliendo, Swafford, and potentially the Ferraris) all had more than 1 year of eligibility.  PSU was the most successful team with 4 transfer starters this year.  This discussion is about 1 year rentals.  I think Michigan is the only team with more than 2.

Edited by fishbane

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

I can’t even think of any with more than two, and the only one with two that I can think of is Indiana (Lee and Fongaro)

Yeah definitely some teams with 4 transfers, but not 1 year transfers.  Going down the standings at NCAAs this hypothetical team with 5 1 years transfers that is not in the top 3 has to be pretty far outside the top 3.  Here's the top 10.  Might be missing a transfer or two, but I am pretty sure no team has 4 other then Michigan.

PSU - McHenry (Not a starter/2 years), Nagao (3 years), Mesenbrink (4 years), Truax (1 year), and Kerkvliet (5 years)

Cornell - None

Michigan - DeAugustino (1 year), Cannon (1 year/injured), Gomez (1/2 year), Griffith (1 year), and Davison (1 year).

ISU - Echemendia (2? years), Chittum? (4 years) , Feldkamp (1 year).

Iowa - Cruz (Not a starter 4 year), Teske (2 years), Woods (2 years), Voinovich (Not a starter/3 year), Franek (1 year), Caliendo (3 year),  Swafford (Not a starter/2-3 years)

ASU - Parco (3 years), McLane (2 years), Negron (2-3 years)

Virginia Tech - None

Ohio State - None

Nebraska - Smith (2 years)

OSU - Spratley (4 years), Jamison (4 years), Young (4 years), Alvarez (Not a starter/1 year), Olejnik (1 Year), Sanchez (Not a starter/3-4years)

NIL and Portal will be the down fall of smaller programs.  They recruit and give them scholarships , train, develop the wrestlers and then get poached by bigger programs.

This will lead to the end of smaller programs which will lead to less scholarship options for recruits that the big schools did not recruit or recognize their talent.  This will eventually lead to HS numbers declining.

look at how many SEC and ACC have wrestling programs.

• Bob 2

1 hour ago, fishbane said:

Eh, I wasn't talking 1 year rentals, despite the OP stating that.  I was referring to rentals as a whole.  Iowa had rentals at 133, 141, 157, and 165.

OS would have had four if VV had started the postseason at 149lbs.

FWIW, Cannon had two years when he came and the word is that he should be able to get a medical for this year - so he'll have two years remaining still.

As far as Penn State having rentals at 133, 165, 184, and 285 - I don't actually count Kerk as he transferred without ever wearing a tOSU singlet.  Also they don't count either.  It just isn't fair.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

6 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

As far as Penn State having rentals at 133, 165, 184, and 285 - I don't actually count Kerk as he transferred without ever wearing a tOSU singlet.  Also they don't count either.  It just isn't fair.

Who doesn’t count?  I can see the argument for Kerk, but Truax, Nagao and Mesenbrink were all via the portal.

Transfers go in both directions.

PSU started 4 transfers (though I laughed out loud at the the oxymoron "5 year rental"). Meanwhile, 4 former PSU wrestlers transferred out and qualified for the NCAA tournaments for other teams.

They get what they earn. What could be wrong with that?

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Who doesn’t count?  I can see the argument for Kerk, but Truax, Nagao and Mesenbrink were all via the portal.

I said they don't count in jest.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me