One year rentals. The portal, are they good or bad?

Not sure.  One team with four of them brought home (another) trophy.  The other did not.

I am happy if mine is the one that did and unhappy if mine is the one that didn't.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

Not sure.  One team with four of them brought home (another) trophy.  The other did not.

I am happy if mine is the one that did and unhappy if mine is the one that didn't.

Speaking for many of the other program fans, we wish you all unhappiness.   🤨

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ionel said:

Don't be mean. 😞

7 minutes ago, ionel said:

In any case, you gents only had three starters by years end.

I was referring to the Squawkeyes.

5 minutes ago, Show_Me said:

IMO, nothing about the Transfer Portal is good for the long term health of D1 Wrestling.  You asked.

The Rich get richer. And if there is an AA quality guy at a lower tier school the rich will throw him money to leave. Those lower tier schools will fade a way quicker now. Not good

• Bob 4

3 minutes ago, Show_Me said:

IMO, nothing about the Transfer Portal is good for the long term health of D1 Wrestling.  You asked.

I agree. It was well meaning but was poorly thought out. Sounds like the government. It really hurts the small school. They put in all the work to find a kid under the radar, give him a scholarship and opportunity only to have big schools with boosters with big wallets come along and take them away. 

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, JuanMogen said:

They can get you a very, very, very, very distant third place trophy. Jesus never entered no transfer portal. 

Not true, Jesus did a grad transfer after missing the post-season due to injury in his senior year.  

They are good, it means that the "marriage" aspect of college commitment is effectively gone, which is a great thing. 

The increased churn both in athlete mobility and program flexibility means that neither athlete or program has to stick with an arrangement which isn't working out, it allows kids to actually get out there and make some coin with the immense skillset they've created.  MOST importantly, it means that athletes don't have to stay stuck in a situation they don't like.  That has always been my least favorite part of college sports.  The insane lockup optionality that schools got.

NIL and the portal have done away with that, and it's great.  The quality of wrestling overall is visibly increasing, and that's only going to continue.  This will make us more competitive internationally in the long run. 

• Brain 1

2 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

They are good, it means that the "marriage" aspect of college commitment is effectively gone, which is a great thing. 

The increased churn both in athlete mobility and program flexibility means that neither athlete or program has to stick with an arrangement which isn't working out, it allows kids to actually get out there and make some coin with the immense skillset they've created.  MOST importantly, it means that athletes don't have to stay stuck in a situation they don't like.  That has always been my least favorite part of college sports.  The insane lockup optionality that schools got.

NIL and the portal have done away with that, and it's great.  The quality of wrestling overall is visibly increasing, and that's only going to continue.  This will make us more competitive internationally in the long run. 

So they aren't really going to college to go to college?  🤔

• Bob 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

Let me guess.. Penn state fan?

• Bob 1

7 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

Athletes could always transfer to another school if it wasn't working out for them or if the just changed their mind. Now you can shop  ( you don't even have to shop ,they come knocking at your door )  the market for the highest bidder even if you were happy with your coaches and the school. 

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

I guess they weren't all 1 year rentals, but PSU had 4 transfer starters this year.  Nagao (3 year rental), Mesenbrink (4 year rental), Truax (1 year rental), and Kerkvliet (5 year rental)

Michigan must be the team with the 4 1 year rentals and a team trophy; DeAugustino (1 year), Cannon (1 year/injured), Gomez (1/2 year), Griffith (1 year), and Davison ( 1 year).

What team had 4 1-year rentals and didn't get a trophy? 

35 minutes ago, WildTurk said:

The Rich get richer. And if there is an AA quality guy at a lower tier school the rich will throw him money to leave. Those lower tier schools will fade a way quicker now. Not good

This is why there needs to be a cap on NIL.  Athletes can get paid, but schools would have to determine the value of their athletes.  The current NIL system is going to reward the programs that have the richest alumns and fan base, that in some cases,  were built through their success cheating and not getting caught, or getting caught and a NCAA wrist slap.  At least now, NIL (Now Its Legal), can allow everyone to buy players and not worry about the consequences. (As long as they can control their alumnus!)  In the big money sports (FB/BB) there will always be shady deals/transactions taking place.)  It's always about the Benjamins!  For years I told my friends, "I wish Missouri was better with cheating!"

• Bob 4

1 hour ago, WildTurk said:

We need a version of the UWW's transfer compensation rule

20 minutes ago, MidwestMan said:

This is why there needs to be a cap on NIL.  Athletes can get paid, but schools would have to determine the value of their athletes.  The current NIL system is going to reward the programs that have the richest alumns and fan base, that in some cases,  were built through their success cheating and not getting caught, or getting caught and a NCAA wrist slap.  At least now, NIL (Now Its Legal), can allow everyone to buy players and not worry about the consequences. (As long as they can control their alumnus!)  In the big money sports (FB/BB) there will always be shady deals/transactions taking place.)  It's always about the Benjamins!  For years I told my friends, "I wish Missouri was better with cheating!"

Dubious that this would be lawful - pricefixing conspiracy limiting compensation to the athletes that have NIL property rights.  Letting schools determine the value is inhrently anti-competitive - athletes will earn less than the NIKL market.

Portal and NIL are good for the athletes accomplished/talented enough to benefit economically.  Not easy to measure if it is good for the health and vitality of NCAA mens wrestling overall.