Figueroa lost to Maximo Renteria this year

Nothing against Maximo Renteria, he’s a D1 wrestler which is more than the overwhelming majority of wrestlers can say.  But he has a career record against D1 opponents of 9-19.

Has anyone had a worse in season loss during the year they won a national title (not counting injury defaults)?

Just goes to show that anything can happen during the season and you can still win a national title.  Oh and 125 gonna 125

• Bob 1

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

Just goes to show that anything can happen during the season and you can still win a national title.  Oh and 125 gonna 125

*Any wrestler who is clearly a coin-flip with all of the top guys, can get hot in March and win a few coin-flips in a row, even if they lost a head scratcher. 

Is what I think you meant to type. 

This thread will fill up but there's been many many many ridiculous "Upsets" just randomly in duals or early season tournaments. (Get excited, I'm hoping some people reference ones I've forgotten)

9 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Nothing against Maximo Renteria, he’s a D1 wrestler which is more than the overwhelming majority of wrestlers can say.  But he has a career record against D1 opponents of 9-19.

Has anyone had a worse in season loss during the year they won a national title (not counting injury defaults)?

After after his recent performance I bet it won’t happen again. 

Figs was a pre-season top 4 ranked wrestler in every major outlet.

Figs dealt with injuries, out of shape, etc.

Figs got healthy and hot at the right time. 

He was masterful at getting a takedown, then backing up the rest of the way even if it was in the second round, then using his opponents pushing on him to try to get another stall to score again with his outside single. 

He had never wrestled the guys he wrestled at the NCAA...that can be an advantage as some of those guys had wrestled each other multiple times.

As a side note on Renteria.....  The match with Figs was not just that Figs wrestled bad...but Renteria looked very good and went on the offensive from the get go....say what you will about his record last year, but Figs' loss to him won't look as bad next season. He has improved a ton this year. 

• Bob 2
  • Brain 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

3 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Figs was a pre-season top 4 ranked wrestler in every major outlet.

Figs dealt with injuries, out of shape, etc.

Figs got healthy and hot at the right time. 

He was masterful at getting a takedown, then backing up the rest of the way even if it was in the second round, then using his opponents pushing on him to try to get another stall to score again with his outside single. 

He had never wrestled the guys he wrestled at the NCAA...that can be an advantage as some of those guys had wrestled each other multiple times.

As a side note on Renteria.....  The match with Figs was not just that Figs wrestled bad...but Renteria looked very good and went on the offensive from the get go....say what you will about his record last year, but Figs' loss to him won't look as bad next season. He has improved a ton this year. 

Well Renteria was undefeated this year!   Will be interesting to see how he does next year

4 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Well Renteria was undefeated this year!   Will be interesting to see how he does next year

"I had an undefeated season in D1 wrestling." 

Despite only 6-0, he has had a really good season developing.  Yes...it will be interesting to see how he does..

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I watched Figueroa lose in the dual versus Stanford. At that point he'd lost of his last 4, including a match to the Oregon St backup. His season record was 5-5. He went 10-0 the remainder of the year, with pretty much every match being against a top notch opponent.  I'm not sure what was going on with him, be it mental or slow recovery from his injuries, but kudos for turning it around. 

Maximo is a very good wrestler. Last year I remember watching him lose 2-3 to Ramos and then pin (not called by the ref though) DeAugustino in consecutive weeks. 

as a fan, was sorry to see him leave the orange and blue, but hope he has big success at Oregon State. 

• Wrestle 1

Figs from Selma and Renteria from Buchanan; a lot of familiarity with the two being from the Central Section and both of the high schools having strong high school programs. It's not surprising that Renteria took one from him.

• Bob 1

I felt like officials were very generous to Figueroa on the stalling calls. The guy bored me just a bit less than Lewan and Fix do. That said, what a gauntlet he walked through over the last four weeks after looking out of shape and disastrous two thirds of the season! I will be cheering for Ayala to beat him next year.  

38 minutes ago, jmoney said:

I felt like officials were very generous to Figueroa on the stalling calls. The guy bored me just a bit less than Lewan and Fix do. That said, what a gauntlet he walked through over the last four weeks after looking out of shape and disastrous two thirds of the season! I will be cheering for Ayala to beat him next year.  

Just put some glue in the skates.

5 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Who were his losses to?

Well he had 8 wins and 9 losses going into NCAA, which of the 9 are you most interested in?  

Branch spoke about the team meeting with Coach Smith in the hotel the night before to go over the brackets in his Flo interview.

“This was the last year that the guy that beat you had to win or you were out of the tournament. It wasn’t a true double elimination. John got to my weight and said “it’s good”. So I’m like “hey, I must’ve got another guy with a losing record?”. Then he goes “you got the 2-seed” I’m like ‘what’s good about that?’ then John says ‘I’m going to tell you right now you can beat him, but if you don’t beat him (Branch starts laughing as he tells the story) he’s at least going to pull you into the consolation side and you’ll get to wrestle twice’.”

Edited by ionel

21 minutes ago, ionel said:

Well he had 8 wins and 9 losses going into NCAA, which of the 9 are you most interested in?  

Branch spoke about the team meeting with Coach Smith in the hotel the night before to go over the brackets in his Flo interview.

“This was the last year that the guy that beat you had to win or you were out of the tournament. It wasn’t a true double elimination. John got to my weight and said “it’s good”. So I’m like “hey, I must’ve got another guy with a losing record?”. Then he goes “you got the 2-seed” I’m like ‘what’s good about that?’ then John says ‘I’m going to tell you right now you can beat him, but if you don’t beat him (Branch starts laughing as he tells the story) he’s at least going to pull you into the consolation side and you’ll get to wrestle twice’.”

When I was a HS school coach, I can remember thinking this, but never said it out loud.  But then, I'm not John Smith.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, ionel said:

Did he lose to any backups or guys with a career record worse than 9-19?

Edited by 1032004

7 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Did he lose to any backups or guys with a career record worse than 9-19?

When wrestlingstats.com was working it was easy to look that up.  Unfortunately it hasn't been working for a couple years.  

It was an absolutely terrible loss, but prior to an awful start to his collegiate career, Renteria was actually a 3x CA state champ and a top 15 recruit in the class of ‘21. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him start and have some success at OSU next year.

it sounds like in addition to injuries Figs was dealing with what we might call "off the mat" issues earlier this year. In one of his interviews during the tourney or maybe after winning he mentioned "going to rehab," not rehabbing an injury but "going to" rehab. I know from personal experience this usually means something very specific. Anyway, he's a tremendous talent and I have no idea why he didn't get at least some passing OW love (not saying he should've won it). Rooting hard for this kid!

• Bob 1