Brands crying in interview?

Did anybody see the interview with Brands last night? Sounded like he was on the verge of tears the entire time. 

Does he know something? 

Iowa finished fifth behind Iowa State. Two Iowa schools had a national champion (Iowa State and UNI). Iowa had four AAs, the same amount as Arizona State and VA Tech. None of the Hawkeyes finished the season with a win as they lost in their placement match. Out of 43 matches they scored bonus points in 11 of them. 

Probably the worst part for the Hawkeyes were the season storylines. They started the season with a gambling investigation/suspension, halfway through the season AJ Ferrari dominated the headlines, the Big10 storyline had nothing to do with Iowa competing for a championship, but whether they could keep the streak alive of halting a finalists - which luckily Glazier limped into the finals. Then the NCAA championships had no discussion of Iowa competing, but could they keep the final streak alive - the same story as last year. Going back to 2015 the Hawkeyes have only had multiple finalists TWICE. Just doesn’t seem like the Hawkeyes are moving in the right direction. 

• Brain 1

7 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

The DT rumors seem ridiculous. Kinda like JB being mentioned a few years ago.  But it sparks the question of who would be a better replacement for Iowa? Change for the sake of change rarely works out. When Zalesky was fired you had the Brands waiting in the wings who were over achieving in their coaching careers. 

Who is doing that now and would they be a fit at Iowa? I have a hard time seeing Gable giving the go ahead to fire the Brands and that definitely plays a role.  So do you make changes at the assistant level? 

44 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Brands is consistently the second best coach in the country. 

I think you mean consistently the second best funded coach in the country.

And I like the idea of a strong Iowa team.  It's great for the sport.  But consistently is a strong word here.

Edited by wrestle87

2 minutes ago, Packard said:

The DT rumors seem ridiculous. Kinda like JB being mentioned a few years ago.  But it sparks the question of who would be a better replacement for Iowa? Change for the sake of change rarely works out. When Zalesky was fired you had the Brands waiting in the wings who were over achieving in their coaching careers. 

Who is doing that now and would they be a fit at Iowa? I have a hard time seeing Gable giving the go ahead to fire the Brands and that definitely plays a role.  So do you make changes at the assistant level? 

Gable is way more critical than you think.

Taylor makes perfect sense. He has the reputation to recruit against Cael, and he's probably the only one, unless he wants to chase GOAT status and wrestles a whole cycle, he has enough hype to inspire donors...and Taylor is ambitious guy, whats he supposed to chase if not Cael?

• Brain 1
  • Fire 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Wait ... how many AAs did LR have, how many transfers, scholarships, NIL $s, etc... ?

• Fire 1

10 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

Taylor makes perfect sense. He has the reputation to recruit against Cael, and he's probably the only one, unless he wants to chase GOAT status and wrestles a whole cycle, he has enough hype to inspire donors...and Taylor is ambitious guy, whats he supposed to chase if not Cael?

The hard part for me to see is him moving on from his life in state college with how engrained he and his family seem to be there personally and professionally alike. 

Although the same could have been said about Cael leaving Iowa/midwest for PA. When I think of the "Iowa Style" or just the Hawkeye way, DT isn't who would come to mind but maybe they need a total retooling of the culture there. Wrestling evolves like all things do and it's a matter of if Iowa is O.K. With changing their approach to the sport. Out toughing guys isn't really a thing anymore in my opinion because everyone is tough... I think it would be really cool to see that kind of change looking to the future of the program vs continuing down the current path. It just doesn't seem like they are having a ton of fun, not a lot of smiles/very serious can wear on an athlete and a program. We joke about penn state always saying they just have fun but there's some truth to it being an important ingredient.

Edited by Doublehalf

23 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

whats he supposed to chase if not Cael?

Farm animals...K2Roots....smoothies...training center... having a family.... life.    

Rumors are part wishful thinking by those benefiting from the rumors. The other half has to be true that DT wants to do that. Maybe....but maybe he doesn't want the hassle of being a college coach. Between this business ventures, sponsorships and winnings, I am guessing he is doing fine. 

• Wrestle 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

2 hours ago, lisa morales said:

The Ferraris love Iowa City.  Great pizza and the women are smoking hot.  

If they are going after the ferraris they are either desperate or trailer trash refuge suffering from tornado damaged brains.

• Haha 1

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

2 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Am hearing he is going to add Dayton Fix as his new Top Assistant.

• Haha 1

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

3 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Farm animals...K2Roots....smoothies...training center... having a family.... life.    

Rumors are part wishful thinking by those benefiting from the rumors. The other half has to be true that DT wants to do that. Maybe....but maybe he doesn't want the hassle of being a college coach. Between this business ventures, sponsorships and winnings, I am guessing he is doing fine. 

I'm not saying he has too, I'm saying he isn't the type to settle into selling juice and coaching club.

56 minutes ago, Idaho said:

I think (and hope) Taylor will compete through 2028 because he has a chance to be the greatest wrestler in U.S. history. However, I can't imagine he will stick around when he is done competing just because he owns/sponsors a gym. Taylor coaching Iowa would be an incredible combination of the only program with the resources to match PSU and a coach who might be able to compete with Cael for top recruits. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Hammerlock3 said:

I'm not saying he has too, I'm saying he isn't the type to settle into selling juice and coaching club.

My guess is that DT's probably on the same wavelength as Askren where he can make good money and do interesting work outside of the restrictions of the NCAA and NIL. He also be a package deal with Jimmy Kennedy.

1 minute ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

My guess is that DT's probably on the same wavelength as Askren where he can make good money and do interesting work outside of the restrictions of the NCAA and NIL. He also be a package deal with Jimmy Kennedy.

Isn't Askren trying to get back into coaching? Didn't he try to get the Wisconsin job?

1 minute ago, billyhoyle said:

Isn't Askren trying to get back into coaching? Didn't he try to get the Wisconsin job?

I thought he wanted to focus more on his club rather coach at the collegiate level. I haven't been following the Bono thread though

1 hour ago, Hammerlock3 said:

If it happens, everyone should re-read their Freud (and also Jung):  the son attempts to slay the powerful father (figure).

The father (Sanderson), however, might circumvent this situation by bringing aboard his "offspring" (Taylor) and making him an assistant coach and the apparent heir to the family business.  

What would even be more intriguing is if Taylor brought along his pal, Dake, and maybe a lightweight coach, Zain. 🙂

The odds of any of this happening are long, though.  But Farmer Taylor might itch for a new challenge. 

7 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

If it happens, everyone should re-read their Freud (and also Jung):  the son attempts to slay the powerful father (figure).

The father (Sanderson), however, might circumvent this situation by bringing aboard his "offspring" (Taylor) and making him an assistant coach and the apparent heir to the family business.  

What would even be more intriguing is if Taylor brought along his pal, Dake, and maybe a lightweight coach, Zain. 🙂

The odds of any of this happening are long, though.  But Farmer Taylor might itch for a new challenge. 

I believe I read somewhere about Zain being done after this cycle. He already has a full-time job lined up on him. 

17 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

But Farmer Taylor might itch for a new challenge. 

Yeah exactly, i've tried to get that across twice but I keep getting people flexing their knowledge of his instagram

• Brain 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Is he really though?

Since 2011 when PSU's run of team titles started his teams have finished

2011 3rd
2012 3rd
2013 4th
2014 4th
2015 2nd
2016 5th
2017 4th
2018 3rd
2019 4th
2020 Cancelled but presumably 1st
2021 1st
2022 3rd
2023 2nd
2024 5th

So using imperfect science of removing PSU would have garnered them 2 more team titles than they currently have, mean while Cornell would have 2 titles, okie state, Minnesota, TOSU would all have a few team titles sprinkled in there.. its kind of tough to say hes consistently the 2nd best when theres only 2 2nd place finishes since 2011... and even if he is, i don't think hes that far ahead to say hes been definitively the 2nd best...

Edited by BIGTENFANBOY