Weight cutting

Let’s see both ends of the spectrum of guys(Not including Hwts) who cut a ton or we know don’t cut at all. It was well documented years ago Matt Pell AA’d at 184 as a sophomore weighing in at 176 because he couldn’t beat Tyron Woodley at 165 or Ben Askren at 174, then dropped to 165 after Woodley graduated.

Examples for cutting would include Matt Ramos, Patrick McKee and Cole Matthews.

Some guys not so much might be Dylan Shawver and Dayton Fix.

Whos cutting too much and needs to move up?

1 hour ago, Lunaticfringe said:

Let’s see both ends of the spectrum of guys(Not including Hwts) who cut a ton or we know don’t cut at all. It was well documented years ago Matt Pell AA’d at 184 as a sophomore weighing in at 176 because he couldn’t beat Tyron Woodley at 165 or Ben Askren at 174, then dropped to 165 after Woodley graduated.

I've actually heard multiple times that making 125 is easy for him and that he bumped up to 133 because they had Schroder at 125.

1 hour ago, Lunaticfringe said:

Cole Matthews doesn't look like that big of a 141 pounder compared to someone like Echemendia or Tagen Jamison.

First people that come to mind as looking big for their weight class are Levi Haines and Isaiah Salazar. Others that come to mind this year as looking big are: Stanich at 125, Crookham at 133,  O'Toole, Carr and Hamiti at 165, Brayden Thomposn, Mekhi & Starrocci at 174, Will Feldkamp & TJ Stewart at 184 & Michael Beard at 197

For guys on the smaller side Shawver is a good example. A few more examples would be Teske at 133, Henson at 141, Gomez at 149, Antrell Taylor at 165 & Kennedy at 174

I'd bet a buffalo nickel that Beard is over 230 by trials. How he has made 197 for so many years blows my mind almost as much as it has blown his cardio.

i am an idiot on the internet

25 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

I'd bet a buffalo nickel that Beard is over 230 by trials. How he has made 197 for so many years blows my mind almost as much as it has blown his cardio.

The day after NCAAs, some all you can eat buffet owner in Bethlehem, PA is going to be seriously reevaluating their business model 

• Haha 3

Nothing wrong with Beard’s cardio.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Winners Circle said:

I've actually heard multiple times that making 125 is easy for him and that he bumped up to 133 because they had Schroder at 125.

100% accurate. Schroeder had the starting spot at 125, Ramos could have sat behind him for the year or bumped up and competed at 133. Worked out well for him, and getting back to 125 was/is not hard.

• Bob 1

Obviously hidlay the younger is not cutting much if anything this year.  Hayden back in the day must have really been putting in the work with the plastics though, he was enormous for 157, I'd bet that's what ate away at him.

Same vein, kemerer must have been cutting truckloads, considering he took a year off and then immediately jumped to 174, being arguably the biggest guy at that weight class.  

Bo Nickal was a rail getting down to 174 his first year.  Lucas Davison mentioned in his interviews that he would easily bounce back to the 230's without even thinking about it while he was wrestling 197 at Northwestern. 

This is my favorite example of these stories, Mark Munoz tells a heck of a story, one of my favorites about being a wrestler for John Smith:

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

You should watch Beard's EIWA finals with Cardenas.  Then report back as to who was cutting more.

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

Does this nickel have the date worn off, or is it in good condition?

2 hours ago, Gus said:

Others that come to mind this year as looking big are: Stanich at 125, Crookham at 133

Stanich didn't look as big as Berginc (EIWA semis) and Ungar (EIWA finals).  Vito looked bigger than Crookham.  To my eyes, anyway.

In my mind, a big question concerns who might be affected (negatively) the most by the weight cut Thursday morning and Friday morning.

Lewis against Starocci?

And who might benefit Saturday night from the opportunity for weight gain and rehydration in the finals.  We often see a few guys balloon in the finals and be noticeably larger than their opponents.  

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Le duke said:

You might re-evaluate that statement Friday night if seeds hold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bingo. I'm not hating on him but the fact of the matter is that he's a victim of NCAA weight classes not matching UWW weight classes and he is a tweener because of it. He's an AA despite cutting massive weight. Great technician, bad tournament cardio, great mental strength to overcome the bumps in his road and I'm rooting for him to finish with a bang and make an impact on the Senior Circuit at his natural weight class (97kg). 

i am an idiot on the internet

Deakin was the most gigantic wrestler for his weight that I have seen in a long time.  He looked like a jacked 174 lber.  I don't know how bad his cut was.  Usually top athletes don't talk about their weight cutting but 3 that regularly talk about how miserable they were are: Austin Gomez when he was 133 for ISU, Isaiah Martinez when he was 157, and most of all Alex Dieringer when he was making 157.  I never heard him complain about it, but you know Matt McDonough was suffering, too.

Edited by Konquest
  • Bob 1

21 hours ago, Gus said:

Cole Matthews doesn't look like that big of a 141 pounder compared to someone like Echemendia or Tagen Jamison.

First people that come to mind as looking big for their weight class are Levi Haines and Isaiah Salazar. Others that come to mind this year as looking big are: Stanich at 125, Crookham at 133,  O'Toole, Carr and Hamiti at 165, Brayden Thomposn, Mekhi & Starrocci at 174, Will Feldkamp & TJ Stewart at 184 & Michael Beard at 197

For guys on the smaller side Shawver is a good example. A few more examples would be Teske at 133, Henson at 141, Gomez at 149, Antrell Taylor at 165 & Kennedy at 174

I said to my nephew "Haines makes Lewan look like a dwarf"

20 hours ago, lu_alum said:

Nothing wrong with Beard’s cardio.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

seems like he has solved that gas tank issue this year - but Brooks can come at you with a very high pace for 197