Do we need a "Starocci Rule"?

Starocci received an at-large bid for NCAAs even though he did not actually wrestle in Big 10s.  He stepped on the mat for 1 second before injury forfeiting and then medically defaulting.  It seems to be an abuse of the rule and against the spirit of competition.

I'm a huge Penn State fan but even I feel like this was unjust.

• Brain 1
  • Fire 1
  • Potato 1
  • Clown 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Starocci received an at-large bid for NCAAs even though he did not actually wrestle in Big 10s.  He stepped on the mat for 1 second before injury forfeiting and then medically defaulting.  It seems to be an abuse of the rule and against the spirit of competition.

Get your facts straight and then pop off.

• Bob 2
  • Clown 1

This was my post in the most anticipated match up thread, which was probably not the right location:

But Starocci not wrestling did have multi impacts on the NCAA Qualifiers. 

Bauwmann from Purdue got majored by Maylor then received the MFF.  Didn't win a  contested match and is an NCAA qualifier not because of his wins but because of where he was placed in the bracket.

Sparks only beat DJ Washington (DJ didn't win a match all weekend), received the free pass to the semis, slid to 6th = qualifier.

And no question Brennan from Little Rock is an NCAA qualifier if Starocci competes as he says he was capable of.

I don't know the answer tho.  Starocci shouldn't be excluded, if he can compete in 2 weeks.  I still think he wins it, it just too bad that it has impacts on guys like Brennan who go from last one in to first alternative.  Would of been nice for Little Rock to get another qualifier. 

The whistle blew and he shook hands.  He didn't even get into a wrestling stance.

Listen, if you think we need a Starocci rule then go ahead and write one. I bet you can't write one that does not also create issues. 

I'm out. I am now focused on the wrestlers that did qualify thru their own efforts, one of whom is Carter Starocci. 

• Bob 1

At a bare minimum, it shouldn't be called the Starrocci Rule, it could be the Suriano Rule, or more accurately, the Schlatter Rule.  He was the pioneer in blowing up brackets with a blown out knee as far as I can remember.

The whistle blew and he shook hands.  He didn't even get into a wrestling stance.

He was on the mat for 2 seconds in his second match.

I'd prefer an injured returning national champ or AA in a bracket than the alternative which would be a wrestler ranked something like 29-34.  The last man in is essentially replaceable from the fan/competition perspective.  It is annoying when the guy doesn't wrestle at all and screws up the bracket, but an injured wrestler is an unknown.

Was it Willie that last year had called out Killian Cardinale and being too injured to wrestle at NCAAs and then he went and made the podium? 

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 9.00.59 PM.png

24 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Oh, believe me, I am a fan, but I can't not call bullshit when he goes the bullshit route.

Wrestle - you have established yourself as THE go-to guy for alot of interesting info. I’m just confused sometimes when you go low when you really shouldn’t. Leave that to those who contribute very little of value who dont matter here, and most likely everywhere else.

Edited by Rassling

All this pretended confusion about the rules is a misdirect because the PSU reputation armor won't allow anyone in our media community to point out that Starocci pretending his season was over should do way more damage to his reputation than any amount of losses based on a legitimate injury.

• Bob 1
  • Duck 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

1 hour ago, Pinnacle said:

Starocci wrestled. The result was 2 inj defaults. 

Try telling that to the PSU clown I've been arguing with on FB.  He seems to believe Starocci "has not been defeated", despite having two losses on his record.

My response:

They took the mat, put on ankle bands, shook hands, ref blew the whistle, time elapsed, ref stopped the match, they shook hands, THE OPPONENT'S HAND WAS RAISED, they removed ankle bands, and left the mat.

2 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

You are my favorite Penn state fan!

welcome back, jimmy!

• Bob 1

24 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Try telling that to the PSU clown I've been arguing with on FB.  He seems to believe Starocci "has not been defeated", despite having two losses on his record.

My response:

They took the mat, put on ankle bands, shook hands, ref blew the whistle, time elapsed, ref stopped the match, they shook hands, THE OPPONENT'S HAND WAS RAISED, they removed ankle bands, and left the mat.

I've identified the problem.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, lu_alum said:

My response:

2 losses. 

I don't care what the rule is, but it ought to be clear.  The NCAA has done everything they can to eliminate the "fake" defaults, including making a subsequent med forfeit count as a loss, removing fake defaults from wrestlers' records in duals, changing the at-large criteria to require a wrestler to compete twice at conference tourneys .... I sure thought that showing up at a conference tourney and stepping on and off the mat wouldn't count.

Maybe PSU made a valid argument that the loophole wasn't quite closed, and the NCAA agreed.  But I seem to remember the phrase "real wrestling has to happen" in there somewhere.

7 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

At a bare minimum, it shouldn't be called the Starrocci Rule, it could be the Suriano Rule, or more accurately, the Schlatter Rule.  He was the pioneer in blowing up brackets with a blown out knee as far as I can remember.

Going by historical precedent it was smart of Cael to have his guy do this. Save the knee for the big dance. Maybe this allows him to rain and do just fine. Maybe he tweaks it in preparation? Maybe he slips on wet flooring and doesnt wrestle at all?

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

1 minute ago, AgaveMaria said:

Going by historical precedent it was smart of Cael to have his guy do this. Save the knee for the big dance. Maybe this allows him to rain and do just fine. Maybe he tweaks it in preparation? Maybe he slips on wet flooring and doesnt wrestle at all?

Oh 100%, it’s definitely the smart thing to do.  No point to add any wear and tear when the focus has to be healing.