CMU's Tom Borrelli to retire.

4 minutes ago, MNRodent said:

Ben Bennett.

A quiet, internal hire.  Could put a focus on internal recruits.  A lot of good ones have got away the last few years.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

2 minutes ago, fishbane said:

Cunningham?

That would be the best hire imaginable.

Imagine Sta(l)rocco following him there.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

That would be the best hire imaginable.

Imagine Sta(l)rocco following him there.

Probably the best possible outcome for every team, PSU excepted.   Gotta think he at least takes a call about it and that its his if he wants it.  Koll went back to UNC.  Scott left a head coach job to go back to OSU.  Santoro took an interview at Pitt before they hired Gavin.  

14 minutes ago, fishbane said:

Probably the best possible outcome for every team, PSU excepted.   Gotta think he at least takes a call about it and that its his if he wants it.  Koll went back to UNC.  Scott left a head coach job to go back to OSU.  Santoro took an interview at Pitt before they hired Gavin.  

Eventually PSU is going to lose these assistance, I’d love to see it start here! 

29 minutes ago, BuckyBadger said:

Jason Borelli seems like he has to at least be in the conversation.

That would be the easiest transition for kids already on the team. Coach Borrelli to Coach Borrelli.

16 minutes ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

Eventually PSU is going to lose these assistance, I’d love to see it start here! 

You'd think so, but then on the other hand, think about the massive drop off in performance of the "machine" that these guys will be going to. It's like you get to ride around in a fleet of Ferrari's but you just don't get to put your name on the racing team, or you can have your own racing team but you have to compete in a bunch of VW Rabbits.

What Penn State has built in wrestling is about as special as anything achieved in my living memory in college sports, and if it continues for one more cycle of guys, I'd say it is the most impressive thing in any sport anywhere.  Right now I think it is only outweighed by Late 90's early 200's tiger woods, the Patriots run, and then of course the bulls, but I was too young and not enough of a B-ball fan to appreciate that.

Pippen and Rodman could have gone and worn bigger hats at other teams, but when you have something really special, being a part of that bigger engine can be more enticing.  

Cunningham would be a home run hire, but CMU might be a step down for him. No offense to the Chippewas, just that being part of the current PSU dynasty might be plenty fulfilling for him. He gets to work with some of the best kids, money is probably good, and Cael seems to give him a lot of responsibilities and latitude to do things the way he wants to. I think his kid is also expected to join the roster next season.

• Wrestle 1

Get pops Ferrari coaching. His three boys out there. Just need a couple other kids, who you could find a stack of cash to make that work, and you’re winning most of the matches most of the time. 

Bada bing…

25 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

You'd think so, but then on the other hand, think about the massive drop off in performance of the "machine" that these guys will be going to. It's like you get to ride around in a fleet of Ferrari's but you just don't get to put your name on the racing team, or you can have your own racing team but you have to compete in a bunch of VW Rabbits.

I see what you're saying but you need to Ford the river and Focus on the big picture

i am an idiot on the internet

4 hours ago, MNRodent said:

I bet a few CMU alumni are going to apply. David Bolyard and Luke Smith come to mind, and there is no way that Jason Borelli doesn't apply for dad's job. 

What a magnificent job Tom Borelli did.  My jaw used to drop watching some of his guys compete during the heyday of his program. You'd see his guys taking on big name recruits from prominent programs and beating them with regularity. At some point, it got more difficult for CMU to continue to push towards the top ten but they have always remained competitive.  In my opinion, Borelli is one of the best D1 wrestling programs in the history of our sport.

Edited by silver-medal
  • Bob 2

This is an interesting topic; on the Wisconsin wrestling forum, a Reader to CMU thread was started. That thread predates this thread. While the early response was a bit snarky… Minnesota fan coming on the Wisconsin forum to stir the pot, it now seems there just might be a little something to the Reader to CMU? thread. If that happens, that might increase the murmurs of discontent with Bono to full fledged screams for immediate change!!

Cunningham would be the best hire, although unless he really has it in his heart to coach his alma mater, I'd think he'd probably leave well enough alone.  He's in an excellent place at PSU as an assistant, and would be dealing with a lot less $$ at Central.