Starocci

Strange to think that Starocci only has 73 total matches in four years of wrestling.   Sanderson had something like 80 matches in his first two years and somehow managed not to be seriously injured during that time.

4 hours ago, SocraTease said:

Strange to think that Starocci only has 73 total matches in four years of wrestling.   Sanderson had something like 80 matches in his first two years and somehow managed not to be seriously injured during that time.

Pretty insane to think he won 159 matches without ever having a serious injury.

Do you think there has been an increase to injury since scrambling has become such a prevalent part of neutral wrestling for the past 10 years or so?  More torque on the shoulders, knees, joints in general when doing leg passes and diving under etc?

• Fire 1

"Look good, feel good, wrestle good." - J Jaggers

It didn't look like a serious injury to me, but I don't know shit about medicine or knees. Looked like he just tweaked it pretty good. Isn't he an automatic qualifier? He should just sit out Big10s to be on the safe side. 

8 hours ago, SocraTease said:

It's not all that uncommon anymore for guys to not have a lot of matches before NCAAs. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that scheduling has been pretty light since the COVID epidemic wiped out NCAAs in 2020.  Guys don't seem to wrestle in as many tournaments anymore either. 

12 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

It didn't look like a serious injury to me, but I don't know shit about medicine or knees. Looked like he just tweaked it pretty good. Isn't he an automatic qualifier? He should just sit out Big10s to be on the safe side. 

AQ is for the conference champ. He would need to qualify for an at-large spot if he defaults at the conference tournie.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

4 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

AQ is for the conference champ. He would need to qualify for an at-large spot if he defaults at the conference tournie.

He could walk out to the mat, injury default at 1 sec, and default out the rest of the way. He'd surely get an at-large spot as a 3 time NCAA champion. 

Just now, NM1965 said:

He could walk out to the mat, injury default at 1 sec, and default out the rest of the way. He'd surely get an at-large spot as a 3 time NCAA champion

not how it works 

2 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

How does it work then? 

There are no at large spots for previous champs or even 3 or 4 time champs its this year's record/results/ranking only. 

Edited by ionel

4 minutes ago, ionel said:

There are no at large spots for previous champs or even 3 or 4 time champs its this year's record/results/ranking only. 

If being ranked #1 and being 12-0 isn't enough to get an at large selection, then what is? 

1 minute ago, NM1965 said:

If being ranked #1 and being 12-0 isn't enough to get an at large selection, then what is? 

You said "surely get an at-large spot as a 3 time NCAA champion."

26 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

He could walk out to the mat, injury default at 1 sec, and default out the rest of the way. He'd surely get an at-large spot as a 3 time NCAA champion. 

It is formulaic and based on a combination of win%, RPI, and coaches' rank compared to everyone else in the at-large pool. At 12-2, with no RPI (need 15 matches for that), and a very high coaches' rank, he will certainly get an at-large spot.

2 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

It is formulaic and based on a combination of win%, RPI, and coaches' rank compared to everyone else in the at-large pool. At 12-2, with no RPI (need 15 matches for that), and a very high coaches' rank, he will certainly get an at-large spot.

Yeah, Ionel reminded me. Over on wrestlestat I've noticed a lot of guys already have "NQ" next to their names, such as Vince Zerban who came up in the unbeaten conversation. Carter Starocci already has NQ next to his name as well. I'm assuming the wrestlestat guy probably has some sort of algorithm crunching numbers on that or something. 

1 hour ago, NM1965 said:

Yeah, Ionel reminded me. Over on wrestlestat I've noticed a lot of guys already have "NQ" next to their names, such as Vince Zerban who came up in the unbeaten conversation. Carter Starocci already has NQ next to his name as well. I'm assuming the wrestlestat guy probably has some sort of algorithm crunching numbers on that or something. 

i think the NQ notation on guys for this year is a programming mistake tbh. the site hasn't included a NQ notation for the current year until bids were handed out until this season, and the site has had the notation all season - well before any formula could have determined it.

2 hours ago, NM1965 said:

i am pretty sure that they eliminated the :01 injury default workaround that Nick Suriano took advantage of. you have to wrestle two matches at the conference tournament to be eligible for an at-large now.

Edited by ugarles
  • Fire 1

11 minutes ago, ugarles said:

i am pretty sure that they eliminated the :01 injury default workaround that Nick Suriano took advantage of. you have to wrestle two matches at the conference tournament to be eligible for an at-large now.

I don't think so. The NCAA document uses the word participate, not wrestle, in two matches. And injury defaults count as participation, as they require the wrestler to make weight and step on the mat. They also allow the wrestler to go on to the next round if not eliminated by the loss. A medical forfeit does not count as participating as the wrestler can skip weigh, not go on the mat, and does not advance.

By requiring 2 injury defaults they eliminate the option of one injury default, one medical forfeit resulting in one loss on the wrestler's record. Now you have to take two losses.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing
  • Fire 1