Paniro Johnson

1 minute ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Why are the cases only dismissed against ISU? 

Because they were the only criminal cases... the NCAA violations is separate issue.  Iowa wrestlers did not have criminal charges, just NCAA violations. 

• Fire 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

13 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Why are the cases only dismissed against ISU? 

The court doesn’t like tough wrestling.

j/k, yeah as mentioned I don’t believe there were still any with charges remaining.  There were some that pleaded guilty to lesser chargers earlier though, I bet they’re pissed

https://apnews.com/article/sports-wagering-cyclones-hawkeyes-56d9ced5e9b21d2800ce87de57c771c7

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

Still looking forward to a world free of the NCAA.

Not this again… this involves change and that scares me. But I also like the idea of wrestling being free and not needing the NCAA calling shots. We could promote and expand our own sport rather than relying on some mega corporation that only cares about profits deciding wrestlings fate and stature. 

4 minutes ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

Not this again… this involves change and that scares me. But I also like the idea of wrestling being free and not needing the NCAA calling shots. We could promote and expand our own sport rather than relying on some mega corporation that only cares about profits deciding wrestlings fate and stature. 

I should have been more precise.  I look forward to an era where the NCAA doesn't have undue, capricious, and inconsistent power to punish wrestlers based on hearsay and incomplete investigations largely based around evidence and intercollegiate politics.

• Fire 2

43 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Paniro was charged with a crime, because he allegedly gambled under someone else's (his mom's?) identity.

Didn't he also destroy evidence, or alleged that he did?  

17 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Was he ever even suspended by the NCAA?  I could be wrong but I thought he wasn’t because the allegations were from before he was a student 

Yes he was given a year suspension. Which won't change. Universities self report violations. So the NCAA didn't get the information from the state . But lawsuits will happen against the state for sure

• Racing Family 1

19 minutes ago, Corby said:

Yes he was given a year suspension. Which won't change. Universities self report violations. So the NCAA didn't get the information from the state . But lawsuits will happen against the state for sure

Interesting, thanks.  And he can’t use a redshirt during it, correct?

15 hours ago, flyingcement said:

In order to make room for Echemendia, Swiderski, and Johnson, he has to

Maybe--but Chittum doesn't look that big to me. And Paniro doesn't look like a 157 either.  And it is hard to say where Paniro will be in the fall after being out all year.  Will be interesting....

Likely to go nowhere.

Sovereign immunity is still a thing and the loss of a year of NCAA eligibility is small potatoes compared to other cases with much, much worse things perpetrated by various states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So Chittum hasn't actually used a redshirt yet and Gaitan could move down to 165.  Echemendia used his red shirt previously and also used the free year, but this was otherwise his first year of eligibility used. I'm gonna place the year of eligibility after the name for clarity.

2024:

141: Echemendia1

149: Swiderski2

157: Chittum1

2025:

141: Echemendia2

149: Johnson3 / Swiderski RS

157: Chittum2

2026:

141: Echemendia3

149: Swiderski3

157: Johnson4 / ChittumRS