Starocci just Andonian'd his knee

JuanMogen

6 hours ago, dragit said:

Definitely differences, including Lee was in a hard fought national semi and Starocci in a cakewalk in a meaningless dual.  But if you watch the videos it's kind of stunning to see transcendent guys who you've watched for four years engage in such truly bizarre sequences and (we'll see hopefully not here) blow up their own opportunity for history.

This.

I don't think they are at all comparable.  Lee, already hurt, but needs to win his match against a legitimate competitor.  Starocci, healthy, just trying to finish the bonus against an over-matched opponent.  Lee had to do something.  Starocci just a freak accident.  

They are both knee injuries, however.  

10 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

But JB did more than AA on one.

JB actually got it repaired, he had an ankle full of screws and probably brushed his teeth with toradol.  Definitely a crazy impressive performance though, arguably the best of his career.

edit: I’m 93% sure he got it repaired like 4-6 weeks before worlds.

Edited by wrestle87
  • Fire 2

12 minutes ago, lightweight said:

This.

I don't think they are at all comparable.  Lee, already hurt, but needs to win his match against a legitimate competitor.  Starocci, healthy, just trying to finish the bonus against an over-matched opponent.  Lee had to do something.  Starocci just a freak accident.  

They are both knee injuries, however.  

The one thing you agreed with I don't think applies.  Lee didn't hurt his knee in the Ramos match, or at least if he did, that's not what the problem was.  My point was that they both did uncharacteristically, inexplicably, unnecessarily silly things which put them in dangerous positions (Lee's was dangerous in terms of giving up a big move that he easily could have avoided, Starocci's was dangerous physically) that cost them dearly.  

1 hour ago, dragit said:

The one thing you agreed with I don't think applies.  Lee didn't hurt his knee in the Ramos match, or at least if he did, that's not what the problem was.  My point was that they both did uncharacteristically, inexplicably, unnecessarily silly things which put them in dangerous positions (Lee's was dangerous in terms of giving up a big move that he easily could have avoided, Starocci's was dangerous physically) that cost them dearly.  

I was agreeing with your point that there were definitely differences, just that.

==========================================================

But I just had a weird moment.  The local cable company is showing a repeat of the 2017 PA state high school championship (they used to be broadcast on PCN, a public cable channel for free, until Flo bought the rights a few years back.)  The 2017 finals featured the well-known match between Spencer Lee, with his knee bandaged up like a quilt, going for his fourth championship and an undefeated high school career versus Desanto, repeatedly described as being on a Visionquest to defeat Lee after having been bonused the prior year.  And everybody knows that Lee lost that match.

But, the finals also feature a young (sophomore?) Carter Starocci from Erie Cathedral Prep, who has a high schooler's middleweight body, and gets pretty much owned by eventual champion, the senior from Penn Trafford, Coy, who captured his third state title.  Starocci's glory would have to come later.  

Both shown live on TV in 2017, and now both of them (or, at least their knee injuries) are being discussed in this same thread.  Deja vu all over again, as they say.  

• Fire 3

20 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

A torn knee isn’t a broken ankle , we ve seen plenty of guys win with tore up knees , Yianni, Spencer, Nolf all recently , I’ve yet to see a guy even AA on a broken ankle 

Jaggers won a national title with a broken or torn ankle... Couldn't even walk

1 hour ago, lightweight said:

I was agreeing with your point that there were definitely differences, just that.

==========================================================

But I just had a weird moment.  The local cable company is showing a repeat of the 2017 PA state high school championship (they used to be broadcast on PCN, a public cable channel for free, until Flo bought the rights a few years back.)  The 2017 finals featured the well-known match between Spencer Lee, with his knee bandaged up like a quilt, going for his fourth championship and an undefeated high school career versus Desanto, repeatedly described as being on a Visionquest to defeat Lee after having been bonused the prior year.  And everybody knows that Lee lost that match.

But, the finals also feature a young (sophomore?) Carter Starocci from Erie Cathedral Prep, who has a high schooler's middleweight body, and gets pretty much owned by eventual champion, the senior from Penn Trafford, Coy, who captured his third state title.  Starocci's glory would have to come later.  

Both shown live on TV in 2017, and now both of them (or, at least their knee injuries) are being discussed in this same thread.  Deja vu all over again, as they say.  

You forgot to say "mic drop" at the end.

3 hours ago, pokemonster said:

Jaggers won a national title with a broken or torn ankle... Couldn't even walk

Six seed, beat undefeated Chad Mendes. Broke his ankle with about fifteen seconds left in the 3rd period. I remember him screaming. That ankle may be the reason he wears skinny jeans and white sneakers. 

Never Forget...

Edited by MPhillips
  • Fire 2

12 hours ago, MPhillips said:

Six seed, beat undefeated Chad Mendes. Broke his ankle with about fifteen seconds left in the 3rd period. I remember him screaming. That ankle may be the reason he wears skinny jeans and white sneakers. 

Never Forget...

Awesome match to watch live. Boy was he fun to watch once NCAAs started. 

On 2/27/2024 at 12:34 AM, boconnell said:

With my first one I had very few symptoms before the surgery (even with the full ACL and full bucket tear of the meniscus).  They told me the same about there not being any real explanation for the variance in sypmtoms. 

Then a day after the surgery my knee suddenly inflated like a beach ball.  In about 20 minutes it went from normal size to at least double the size.  I called the doctor and they said it was normal and to elevate it.  I did and it shrunk in like 10 minutes.  It was legitimately like the fluid just poured out of my leg.  For about a day it would instantly swell if I lowered it and then instantly shrink if I elevated.  Then after a day it was normal.  The first surgery was also a brutal recovery and the 2nd was super easy (even though I was much older and fatter).  There are general truths with these situations, but every one is unique.  Hopefully Starocci is not seriously hurt, but if it is an ACL, hopefully it's one of those times where he can keep competing.  

Oh...yeah. I didn't even have my first one repaired for a few years, but I did have it blow up on me a few times and have it drained. THAT hurt like a SOB. It's like draining your ear kinda...but worse in how much it hurts and then so much better in how it feels. 

I didn't tear my meniscus with the ACL though. It was just a straight ACL. I thought if you had a torn meniscus or anything else, it would pretty much be a wrap.

BUT, we don't even know what it is. That way it moved...that makes me think it could have been the MCL. 

Definitely hope he can go for the D1s. It'd suck if he couldn't compete. 

23 hours ago, MPhillips said:

Never Forget...

THAT is some impressive shit. I remember him getting hurt...I did not remember it was a broken ankle. 

Again, my own anecdotal experiences, knee injuries can vary in pain or ability to Wrestle on them. A broken ankle though? 

@wrestle87It was amazing.  Jaggers boosted his wrestling so much at big tournaments.  It was always so awesome to watch.

I had a friend with an irrational dislike for Mr. Jaggers. Claimed he got lucky...TWICE. He was a helluva Wrestler also, so he really should have been smart enough to know you don't "get lucky," and win TWO Titles...but he'd still argue it!

Edited by scourge165
  • Fire 1

15 hours ago, scourge165 said:

THAT is some impressive shit. I remember him getting hurt...I did not remember it was a broken ankle. 

Again, my own anecdotal experiences, knee injuries can vary in pain or ability to Wrestle on them. A broken ankle though? 

I had a friend with an irrational dislike for Mr. Jaggers. Claimed he got lucky...TWICE. He was a helluva Wrestler also, so he really should have been smart enough to know you don't "get lucky," and win TWO Titles...but he'd still argue it!

Yeah, I think many people called him lucky after his first title.  But the second title elevated him to legendary gamer status.

• Fire 2

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

On 2/27/2024 at 5:42 AM, Rassling said:

This is what rules the roost in this place. Was this what the creators of this site had in mind? Just curious.

I doubt it, especially since these are Intermat forums, but I don't know.

I think we're probably just a vocal minority, reacting to what seems like a growing phenomenon within the sport.

On 2/28/2024 at 2:10 PM, wrestle87 said:

It was amazing.  Jaggers boosted his wrestling so much at big tournaments.  It was always so awesome to watch.

Reminds me of Quentin Wright.  Still my favorite PSU big guy.

• Fire 2

2 hours ago, whaletail said:

Reminds me of Quentin Wright.  Still my favorite PSU big guy.

Perfectly said.  Wright had that same type of magic.  Jaggers had a cradle, Wright had an underhook that only bosak was able to figure out for one match. 

For an update on Carter there is a reliable poster on another forum who posted Carter has been on the bike.  Is mobile. Will default out of the Big 10's.  If you see Mineo post it on twitter he got it from this guys

Edited by PortaJohn
  • Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted