Why was Messenbrink at Cal Baptist?

No offence but I was surprised when I first saw it announced, then he decides PSU is the place for him all along. Both are legit decisions, its just kind of hard to imagine what changed.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

5 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Mesenbrink jumped levels after committing and reassessed his future accordingly.

This right here, he talks about it on Cayden Henschel’s podcast, says as soon as he got there he knew it was a bad fit, and between committing and enrolling he went from being a fargo non-placer to being a 2x age group world medalist.  

Also said he thought about transferring, but that it would look trashy if he transferred out after getting world medals bc people would think he was shopping his accomplishments.

Mizzou was one of the teams. I had actually heard he was leaning that way and I was attending a MU dual when some of my wrestling buddies and they were pondering the 23-24  lineup when Jacques would be gone.  They started coming up with scenarios and then I told them about Mesenbrink and the Askren (AWA) tie in.  I was thinking it was a done deal and how cool it would be for those guys (Mitchell and Kegan) to be workout partners and what a solid addition to MU Wrestling.  Then NIL came knocking at the door, disguised as Penn State, and what is "Tiger Style" compared to hanging out with the likes of Starocci, Haines, Bartlett, Brooks, etc.... and etc.... and coached by, just a step below jesus, Cael Sanderson and staff.  Those Mesenbrink glasses became shaded, and both mascots may have claws, but Mitchell decided he'd rather hangout with Lions instead of Tigers.  Money=Leverage=Power=Control=Dynasty (arrange the order anyway you want)

Dynasties eventually end, but maybe not in my lifetime.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

This right here, he talks about it on Cayden Henschel’s podcast, says as soon as he got there he knew it was a bad fit, and between committing and enrolling he went from being a fargo non-placer to being a 2x age group world medalist.  

Also said he thought about transferring, but that it would look trashy if he transferred out after getting world medals bc people would think he was shopping his accomplishments.

Respect to him for feeling a sense of loyalty and commitment to the program that showed interest in him before he became a big name.

I just find it a bit puzzling that both Askren and Messenbrink senior probably know the college recruiting process/development at the next level better than 99%. It’s not like he was a kid with parents/coaches who haven’t been through this before.

You’d think they’d have said something to him like it’s great that you want to be loyal but if it’s not the right place, don’t waste your limited years of development there. 

In any case, seems like he’s in the right place now.

his senior year he took 7th at super 32 I just think he developed quite late which seems to be a common think with AWA guys. I follow High school wrestling quite closely and knew nothing about him until he beat haines for the u20 spot.

Haven't seen this mentioned, but it could've been for academic reasons. If he couldn't get into a Big Ten school or Mizzou, it's not uncommon to go to a more lenient school from an academic standpoint to get your foot in the door, establish some grades, and then transfer to where you actually want to go. 

He was pretty well known regionally.  Undefeated his last 3 years of high school at a prominent large school in a tough state. He may not have been recruited by any top 5 schools, but I have to believe Wisconsin, Minnesota, SDSU, Michigan schools, etc. gave him a serious look.  Maybe the California weather and lifestyle just appealed to him initially.

13 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

Haven't seen this mentioned, but it could've been for academic reasons. If he couldn't get into a Big Ten school or Mizzou, it's not uncommon to go to a more lenient school from an academic standpoint to get your foot in the door, establish some grades, and then transfer to where you actually want to go. 

He was all conference academics all four years of high school. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

38 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

his senior year he took 7th at super 32 I just think he developed quite late which seems to be a common think with AWA guys. I follow High school wrestling quite closely and knew nothing about him until he beat haines for the u20 spot.

The Mesenbrink story can serve as a motivational tool for any coaches to share with their athletes.  Regardless of what level you are now, keep "chopping wood" and working toward achieving your goals.  Sometimes the improvements are micro, but they are still measurable.  In Mitchell's case, he made a big jump.  But when you listen to his interview explaining why he was looking to transfer, he points out the work he had to do to make the jump.  He went home and trained his ass off and was privy to some pretty good coaches and workout partners.  

I forwarded the link to the Mesenbrink interview to one of the HS kids I work with in the off season.  Sports/competition is such a head game.  We all know you have to "believe to achieve, then sweat to get!"

Edited by MidwestMan
  • Fire 3

6 minutes ago, ionel said:

Why was Messenbrink at Cal Baptist?

Btw:  he was never there.  🙄

Hmmm... Didn't know you could wrestle a dual for a team but not actually be there. 

I’m wondering if he didn’t think he’d have long term success, so might as well go to school for free and be in the sun (he mentioned something about nice weather). Then, perhaps, Ben did Ben things by helping him with the mental and convincing him he could go far if he changed his mindset.

And, of course, there’s the opportunity to wrestle for Cael. And NIL money.

1 hour ago, BuckyBadger said:

Respect to him for feeling a sense of loyalty and commitment to the program that showed interest in him before he became a big name.

I just find it a bit puzzling that both Askren and Messenbrink senior probably know the college recruiting process/development at the next level better than 99%. It’s not like he was a kid with parents/coaches who haven’t been through this before.

You’d think they’d have said something to him like it’s great that you want to be loyal but if it’s not the right place, don’t waste your limited years of development there. 

In any case, seems like he’s in the right place now.

Committing somewhere and then never attending the school or wrestling for the program is definitely not loyalty and commitment to the program lol.

21 minutes ago, MidwestMan said:

The Mesenbrink story can serve as a motivational tool for any coaches to share with their athletes.  Regardless of what level you are now, keep "chopping wood" and working toward achieving your goals.  Sometimes the improvements are micro, but they are still measurable.  In Mitchell's case, he made a big jump.  But when you listen to his interview explaining why he was looking to transfer, he points out the work he had to do to make the jump.  He went home and trained his ass off and was privy to some pretty good coaches and workout partners.  

I forwarded the link to the Mesenbrink interview to one of the HS kids I work with in the off season.  Sports/competition is such a head game.  We all know you have to "believe to achieve, then sweat to get!"

what an OUTSTANDING post!!!!!

41 minutes ago, The_KC_Godfather said:

I’m wondering if he didn’t think he’d have long term success, so might as well go to school for free and be in the sun (he mentioned something about nice weather). Then, perhaps, Ben did Ben things by helping him with the mental and convincing him he could go far if he changed his mindset.

And, of course, there’s the opportunity to wrestle for Cael. And NIL money.

In fact, Mesenbrink was adamant that NIL wasn’t a part of his decision saying, “My recruiting process was not influenced by NIL. Less than 1%, .1%, nothing about NIL played a part in me picking Penn State.”

Mitchell went on to say, “To hear the things that people are saying about NIL…it’s shocking.” He feels those a part of the NIL conversation are taking the rumors they hear online and believing them as fact rather than getting their information straight from athletes. The coaches he talked to only offered him scholarships and kept all of their conversations to school and wrestling-related topics. "

35 minutes ago, Idaho said:

In fact, Mesenbrink was adamant that NIL wasn’t a part of his decision saying, “My recruiting process was not influenced by NIL. Less than 1%, .1%, nothing about NIL played a part in me picking Penn State.”

Mitchell went on to say, “To hear the things that people are saying about NIL…it’s shocking.” He feels those a part of the NIL conversation are taking the rumors they hear online and believing them as fact rather than getting their information straight from athletes. The coaches he talked to only offered him scholarships and kept all of their conversations to school and wrestling-related topics. "

Thanks for that. I would imagine the opportunity to wrestle for Cael would out weight NIL money anyway for a lot of wrestlers that want to be in the sport long term.

• Fire 2