PSU at Iowa match commentary

When I see Ayala take down a good wrestler from his three point stance I may concede that his three point stance is not stalling.   Does anyone have film of Ayala taking anyone down from 3 point position???????   This match or any other?  Maybe he is quick enough to do it but I just have not seen it?

I really hate 3 point stance.  Have you noticed?  That said, as long as it is legal, I think Nagao and Davis should use it in certain situations. But wrestling would be a better product without it.

As far as the equivalency fantasy that exists between refusal to tie and three point stance ......I disagree that a right hand only tie or no ties leave a wrestler in a stalling only position.  For example - At around 2:32 of this match you see RBY with his arm back.  At 2:35 you see RBY on top of DeSanto.  Hmmm. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvemcMG_-Gc&t=192s

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Certainly possible. Mesenbrink is great.  I think it's more likely to narrow as people feel his pace.  Like I said, Caliendo was still attacking late.  We'll see. 

He got demolished in CHA. It’s where he should perform the best. The only reason these two wrestlers are considered remotely on the same level is the absolute joke that is the rankings at this weight not having MM top 3. 

There are two athletes at this weight who might bear Mesenbink. And only one of them is in the state of Iowa. 

Edited by billyhoyle

Hawkeye's are getting better at stalling. The fans love to cry about stalling when their guys are stalling. Hope Nelson doesn't come back, he's the king of stalling. He has no offense. In the age of the tree point takedown, you've got to have offense.

I thoroughly enjoyed the meet and have a couple thoughts:

125 is going to be very interesting.  These guys are are pretty equal and anyone can seemingly beat anyone in any given day.  I think Ayala and Davis were evenly matched and it could go either way at any time.  I also think the knee down stance in this case would be a stall if Davis had actually attempted shots (although if starocci's throat block is a stall call than this is).

Bartlett has proven he's improved.  Closer matches but he definitely is better than last year.

Kasak and Rathjen are pretty much equal and that match could go either way but I'm not sure either guy is an AA at this point.  In any event everyone is chasing Lovett and from what I saw last night from him good luck.

MM is quite better than Caliendo and I expect that gap to grow.  If the matches get "tighter"  it will only be due to Caliendo turning into a typical block/slowdown/low offense guy who tries to "Lewan" a victory.

Starocci's may have a conditioning problem or a boredom problem.  Not sure but we will see.  Maybe he's still isn't 100%.

Brooks is Brooks. 

Kerk right now is a monster.  Bastida may have something for him but I think the size/strength edge will be too great.

• Fire 3

15 minutes ago, PSULou64 said:

Kasak and Rathjen are pretty much equal and that match could go either way but I'm not sure either guy is an AA at this point.  In any event everyone is chasing Lovett and from what I saw last night from him good luck.

this.  Watching Lovett vs Gomez leaves you with the feeling that the road to AA may be too long this year.  Rathjen may have the better path if he can avoid the 3rd period fatigue that showed up against Kasak.

10 hours ago, VakAttack said:

It's still very possible that Kueter is the postseason guy.

I think he should.  How many qualifying spots will the B10 get?

10 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Exhibit A on the weird stalling calls going both ways.  What is Kerkvleit doing on top to get a stall call?  Nothing. 

ETA: I'm ok with the refs being aggressive with stalling.  Notably, this ref has not been waiting until the third to hit guys. 

Agree.  I thought Kerk could’ve been hit a couple different times on top.

3 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I think he should.  How many qualifying spots will the B10 get?

Agree.  I thought Kerk could’ve been hit a couple different times on top.

In Brands' press conference he said they wanted Keuter to feel how fast Kerkvliet comes, so he knows. That sure sounds like a coach getting a guy ready for the post season.

• Fire 2

6 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Why wrestle him if he's not going go...

The math for why Hill ducking Kerk there made sense has already been explained.

Plus he gets the 5 dates so might as well use them.

But of course Iowa’s linebackers coach basically said a long time ago that Kueter was planning to start this season 

Edited by 1032004

1 hour ago, MPhillips said:

Why wrestle him if he's not going go...

Maybe you are asking the wrong question(s)?  😉

The only other I see is maybe giving him more experience for that last dual meet of the season against OSU, they're gonna need those points.  But sure I'd put more money on post season. 

9 hours ago, Le duke said:

Tom Brands saying Tom Brands things after getting smoked at home:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like how he avoids the Arnold question but then Gabe himself comes out and says he’s not healthy

I like how he avoids the Arnold question but then Gabe himself comes out and says he’s not healthy

I mean, who gives a rip if a kid in RS is hurt? Not saying it flippantly; I hope Arnold gets healthy but just answer the question, Tom. It’s not a state secret.

It’s not like teams are plotting and scheming about how to beat Iowa based on whether or not Arnold is in the lineup. Penn State certainly doesn’t care.

Agreed, but you know as well as anyone that damn near everything in college wrestling is a secret...

Yes, but the way he answered the question, during an embarrassing overall interview, was just terrible. The guy just can’t give a compliment to anyone that’s not on his team. It’s beyond him.

Just say, “We’re not going to use Gabe this season.” Doesn’t give away the secret (Gabe’s hurt) but ends the stupid line of questioning for the year.

4 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I like how he avoids the Arnold question but then Gabe himself comes out and says he’s not health ...

Did Cael forget to call Tom and tell him Penn St was coming to town cause if he did call you'd think Iowa would've been ready I mean they should've been ready but if Cael didn't call you can understand why they weren't ready.  

BTW:  if Tom Brands & Kamala Harris did an interview together what in the heck would that look like?  🥴

Edited by ionel

7 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Yes, but the way he answered the question, during an embarrassing overall interview, was just terrible. The guy just can’t give a compliment to anyone that’s not on his team. It’s beyond him.

Just say, “We’re not going to use Gabe this season.” Doesn’t give away the secret (Gabe’s hurt) but ends the stupid line of questioning for the year.

He said, 'they have a high powered team and score a lot of points.'

I don't disagree with your post though...

From BEG: “Who ate more mat tonight: Franek or Schriever?”

I missed the HWT match last night to attend to one of my kids. Watched it this morning. Kerk nearly put Kooter through the mat. That was wild.

He said, 'they have a high powered team and score a lot of points.'
I don't disagree with your post though...

After that he yelled, like a crazy homeless person, “Not to put them on a pedestal!”.

• Haha 1

Just now, Le duke said:

After that he yelled, like a crazy homeless person, “Not to put them on a pedestal!”.

I know. I heard it. This is no way, 'out of character' for him. He's never been any different. 

I'm just surprised that any of it still surprises folks...