PSU at Iowa Predictions Thread

A lot of people are saying this.  I think it comes from the Woods' matches with the largest viewership this year: a somewhat controversial stinker over Echemendia and then the blowout loss vs. Michigan.  In between, he has looked very good at times including a dominant win over Hardy (his toughest regular season match last year) and Lachlan McNeil.

That’s fair… I admit I haven’t seen too many of his matches and was just going by the eye test. He may have improved more than it appears. Either way, I still think it’s fair to call this one a toss up. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Woods wins this one in Carver, but I would be shocked if Woods beats Beau 3 times in row this year.
  • Fire 1

9 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

That’s fair… I admit I haven’t seen too many of his matches and was just going by the eye test. He may have improved more than it appears. Either way, I still think it’s fair to call this one a toss up. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Woods wins this one in Carver, but I would be shocked if Woods beats Beau 3 times in row this year.

All fair points.

• Fire 1

14 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

I would say Iowa is only a slight favorite at one weight - 125

One true toss-up at 141

PSU slight favorites at 149 and 157

PSU moderate favorites at 133 and 165

PSU heavy favorites 174-285

So it really wouldn’t be that crazy for us to see Iowa get blanked, but I do think they will win 125 and find a way to win one between 141-157. So I’ll say 33-6 PSU

I took a stab at translating this into specific weights, but if you do not want to rely on my interpretive skills...

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

3 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I took a stab at translating this into specific weights, but if you do not want to rely on my interpretive skills...

Are interpretive skills imperative to know something? 

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

Pro Iowa predictiom

125 Ayala dec Davis

133 Nagao dec Iowa

141 Woods dec Bartlett 

149 Iowa dec Kasak

157 Franok dec Haines

165 Caliendo dec Messenbrink

174 Starrocci dec Kennedy

184 Arnold dec Truax

197 Brooks dec Glazier

285 Kirvliet maj Kueter

18-14 Iowa

Pro PSU prediction

125 Davis dec Ayala

133 Nagao dec Iowa

141 Bartlett dec Woods

149 Kasak dec Iowa

157 Haines dec Franok

165 Messenbrink maj Caliendo

174 Starrocci maj Kennedy 

184 Truax dec Arnold

197 Brooks maj Glazier

285 Kirvliet maj Kueter

34-0 PSU

MY PREDICTION

125 Ayala dec Davis

133 Nagao dec Iowa

141 Woods dec Bartlett

149 Kasak dec Iowa

157 Haines dec Franok

165 Messenbrink dec Caliendo

174 Starrocci dec Kennedy

184 Arnold dec Truax

197 Brook maj Glazier

285 Kirkvliet maj Kueter

23-9 PSU

• Fire 1

18 minutes ago, Caveira said:

Seeing reports on the minnow page beau at 141 may be ducking woods to protect the #1 seed at big 10s.   Any insiders have any info?

Evans still makes that a match, fwiw.

Also, fwiw that might bite him in the ass.  Hardy handled him last time they wrestled and it appeared to be a style matchup issue.  Hardy is looking at the 4 seed right now.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Honestly, I think you nailed it with your OP. I was trying to add something a little different and I must admit I was having a hard time deciding where Iowa would pick up another win (I do think they take one between 141-157), so I was trying to give myself some wiggle room

But here goes…
125 - Dec Iowa 0-3
133 - Dec PSU 3-3
141 - Dec Iowa (this time…Beau wins at least one at B1G or NCAA) 3-6
149 - Dec PSU 6-6
157 - Dec PSU 9-6
165 - Dec PSU 12-6
174 - MD PSU 16-6
184 - MD PSU 20-6
197 - TF PSU 25-6
285 - Fall PSU 31-6

Not sure where I got 33-6 in my first prediction lol, but I’ll with 31-6 as my final
  • Fire 1

44 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

Honestly, I think you nailed it with your OP. I was trying to add something a little different and I must admit I was having a hard time deciding where Iowa would pick up another win (I do think they take one between 141-157), so I was trying to give myself some wiggle room emoji23.png

But here goes…
125 - Dec Iowa 0-3
133 - Dec PSU 3-3
141 - Dec Iowa (this time…Beau wins at least one at B1G or NCAA) 3-6
149 - Dec PSU 6-6
157 - Dec PSU 9-6
165 - Dec PSU 12-6
174 - MD PSU 16-6
184 - MD PSU 20-6
197 - TF PSU 25-6
285 - Fall PSU 31-6

Not sure where I got 33-6 in my first prediction lol, but I’ll with 31-6 as my final

Good thing I asked

15 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Just speculation, I think... but not out of the realm of possibility.

seems like a lot of the big matches throughout the country are taking place - lets keep that ball rolling!

Where would anyone get information regarding someone not wrestling in the meet?  I suggested it could happen (not Bartlett but just certain guys not going) but that just seemed like a possibility due to how often it seems to happen for one reason or another.

I have to doubt that anyone affiliated with the PSU program or Iowa program that has intimate knowledge of the situation would divulge that. Certainly the wrestlers know better and the coaches definitely wouldn't reveal that.  

Edited by PSULou64
  • Fire 2

27 minutes ago, PSULou64 said:

Where would anyone get information regarding someone not wrestling in the meet?  I suggested it could happen (not Bartlett but just certain guys not going) but that just seemed like a possibility due to how often it seems to happen for one reason or another.

I have to doubt that anyone affiliated with the PSU program or Iowa program that has intimate knowledge of the situation would divulge that. Certainly the wrestlers know better and the coaches definitely wouldn't reveal that.  

Exactly.

55 minutes ago, PSULou64 said:

one of the things I like about this board is it provides breaking info I don't have the time nor desire to look up myself. Rarely do they get things wrong because most of it comes from reputable sites. In this case it could be here say. Lets hope it was and Friday night produces all the matches we expect!

Edited by Rassling

11 hours ago, Caveira said:

Seeing reports on the minnow page beau at 141 may be ducking woods to protect the #1 seed at big 10s.   Any insiders have any info?

I don't see it.  Regardless, you have to win the B1G tourney to get the #1 seed at NCAAs.   PSU doesn't strike me as a team that cares that much about winning the B1Gs or their seed.  It is all about NCAAs so unless they think facing Woods twice is better than three times (highly unlikely), ducking doesn't provide a benefit. 

Past predictors who have not presently predicted:

@BerniePragle, @Gus, @Interviewed_at_Weehawken, @ionel, @Perry, @RandolphTJones, @1032004, @D3UC157, @FearTheTurtle, @fishbane, @Holtfan, @Nailbender, @Nittanychris, @PortaJohn.

Prodigal predictors come home. No questions asked. We will kill the fatted calf.

• Fire 1