Pan-Am Olympic Games Qualifier Wrestle-Offs: 2/3/24 at 10am Mountain on Flo

17 hours ago, nhs67 said:

No, I got all that.  They let him go, though, and it didn't look that bad of a hit when I first watched it.

Turns out it was enough for him to spend a few hours at the hospital.  

Very much hoping that Nick can qualify the US.  And hoping Yianni can fully recover soon enough to feel in great form by the trials.  I liked seeing his early offense and some adjustments he has clearly made to come up quick on shots vs getting cheap tilted.

7 minutes ago, Dark Energy said:

Very much hoping that Nick can qualify the US.  And hoping Yianni can fully recover soon enough to feel in great form by the trials.  I liked seeing his early offense and some adjustments he has clearly made to come up quick on shots vs getting cheap tilted.

We are on the same page here.

There clearly needs to be some sort of concussion protocol with USAW.

Some people can take those hits and it doesn't phase them.  Some can get nudged 10x lighter and they are gonzo.  We need to ensure the safety of the latter.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

BTW, hearing more about the process and what I hear is stupid.

Not only are organizers requiring an entrant at the championship one week before the qualifier, they are talking about using the championship results to seed the qualifier which would force the same wrestler to enter both.

Between that, if it happens, and our new challenge process we wind up aaking our top of the ladder to break their training cycle three times in a few weeks. And with the championship ending the 24th while the qualifier begins the 28th this is just stupid.

By stupid I mean money grab.

• Fire 3

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

While we are all bitching, I'm here to complain that my buddy again narrowly missed making the olympic team yesterday because Team USA and their stupid goddamn blatant money grab known as the olympic team trials decided to put on a marathon in FLORIDA that didn't end until after NOON. Everyone dropped like flies and now we may only send two reps on the men's side because of the complex and difficult global selection process that was blatantly ***ducking** ignored and the women's side produced unexpected results to say the least via picking terrible race conditions. The athlete's issues were straight up ignored because they wanted some sweet money from NBC/Peacock. It would be the equivalent of having to weigh in at 65kg in order to compete at 74kg. ***ducking** travesty.

End rant but I needed to complain outside my running bubble, please resume complaining about the Pan Am $ham.

• Fire 3

i am an idiot on the internet

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

While we are all bitching, I'm here to complain that my buddy again narrowly missed making the olympic team yesterday because Team USA and their stupid goddamn blatant money grab known as the olympic team trials decided to put on a marathon in FLORIDA that didn't end until after NOON. Everyone dropped like flies and now we may only send two reps on the men's side because of the complex and difficult global selection process that was blatantly ***ducking** ignored and the women's side produced unexpected results to say the least via picking terrible race conditions. The athlete's issues were straight up ignored because they wanted some sweet money from NBC/Peacock. It would be the equivalent of having to weigh in at 65kg in order to compete at 74kg. ***ducking** travesty.

End rant but I needed to complain outside my running bubble, please resume complaining about the Pan Am $ham.

Did your friend run 2:09 (and change) and finish third?  I see Rupp finihsed in 2:14.   My fastest time is 2;56 ... quite a ways of these speedsters.  🙂

1 hour ago, SocraTease said:

Did your friend run 2:09 (and change) and finish third?  I see Rupp finihsed in 2:14.   My fastest time is 2;56 ... quite a ways of these speedsters.  🙂

Not third but close behind. If Korir doesn't get to say he's an Olympian because of this stupid decision then that's a travesty.

For all the non-runners, this is like skipping worlds the year before and Pan Ams that year and hoping to qualify at global last chance even though you had 4 years to plan.

• Fire 2

He visibly got worse during that match.   You could see it, he wasn't right.   I feel bad for him and hope he can come back from that.  At the end of the match he was squatting and lost balance going backwards.   He needs to follow the protocol to give himself the best chance at success.  

mspart

17 minutes ago, mspart said:

So for 55 we have Zane and for 65 we have Nick going to the Pan Am qualifiers.   Is that correct?   All other weights are qualified for FS.   Is that correct?

mspart

yessir biggest bullets seem to be rby at 57 although he did not look great with a 2kg allowance against deshazer and also gut taken down and gutted by kael lauridsen who's a college freshman training at the otc this year I wonder if the cut is hard for him and then Andreu I heard is the guy for Cuba at 65kg hes been good at 57 but I think he will be undersized and nick is probably just better anyhow.

13 hours ago, Truzzcat said:

yessir biggest bullets seem to be rby at 57 although he did not look great with a 2kg allowance against deshazer and also gut taken down and gutted by kael lauridsen who's a college freshman training at the otc this year I wonder if the cut is hard for him and then Andreu I heard is the guy for Cuba at 65kg hes been good at 57 but I think he will be undersized and nick is probably just better anyhow.

And don't forget Gomez and Destribats at 65.

On 2/7/2024 at 5:58 PM, Truzzcat said:

Alejandro Valdes Tobier is listed at 65kg for Cuba - he'll be the toughest guy in the bracket for Nick Lee to get past IMO.

Valdes is a two-time world bronze medalist (2017 and 2018) and had a really close match with Yianni at Pan-Ams last year

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/10957823-65-kg-gold-yianni-diakomihalis-usa-vs-alejandro-valdes-cub

He also has notable freestyle wins over Khinchegeshvili, Bekbulatov, Haji Aliyev, Franklin Gomez, and even Coleman Scott.

Valdes is listed at 35 years old though so definitely past his prime but still super crafty. That said, if Nick Lee gets rolling early, I wouldn't be surprised if he wins handily. 

• Fire 2

37 minutes ago, Jon_Kozak said:

Alejandro Valdes Tobier is listed at 65kg for Cuba - he'll be the toughest guy in the bracket for Nick Lee to get past IMO.

Valdes is a two-time world bronze medalist (2017 and 2018) and had a really close match with Yianni at Pan-Ams last year

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/10957823-65-kg-gold-yianni-diakomihalis-usa-vs-alejandro-valdes-cub

He also has notable freestyle wins over Khinchegeshvili, Bekbulatov, Haji Aliyev, Franklin Gomez, and even Coleman Scott.

Valdes is listed at 35 years old though so definitely past his prime but still super crafty. That said, if Nick Lee gets rolling early, I wouldn't be surprised if he wins handily. 

You and I would have close matches with Yianni, that's just the way his matches go. But unless Tobier hits two 4 pointers, I think Lee will break him with pace. I think last quality win was Destribats at that ill-fated Pan Am OG qualifier and some low scoring "quality" losses since that point, right?

On 2/9/2024 at 11:57 AM, Jon_Kozak said:

It looks like Nick Lee will have to wrestle the week before at the Pan-Am Championship to have a chance to wrestle at the OG. How do you think that impacts his chances?

https://www.themat.com/news/2024/february/09/strong-u-s-team-set-to-compete-at-pan-american-championships-in-acapulco-mexico-feb-21-24

Also, I see Spencer Lee is handling the Pan-Am Championship duties for 57kg so that Zane Richards can concentrate on the OG. Why not send McKenna or someone else at 65kg?

15 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

It looks like Nick Lee will have to wrestle the week before at the Pan-Am Championship to have a chance to wrestle at the OG. How do you think that impacts his chances?

https://www.themat.com/news/2024/february/09/strong-u-s-team-set-to-compete-at-pan-american-championships-in-acapulco-mexico-feb-21-24

Also, I see Spencer Lee is handling the Pan-Am Championship duties for 57kg so that Zane Richards can concentrate on the OG. Why not send McKenna or someone else at 65kg?

This is the only time I have ever been in support of a 0:01 injury default. Qualify the weight for OG then get the heck off the mat and avoid injury. I would feel different if we didn't know what happens by missing the OG slot. Strategy>Mat time.

• Fire 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

is there any sort of bout board?

I haven't found one. I just go to FloWrestling and click on "LIVE" for the Pan Am Championships. There are two mats wrestling, so I then click double view: □□

There are brackets and results at UWW. When a match goes live, it will show up in their brackets here.