Down Goes Max Dean

PortaJohn

That was my first time watching PSU this year, so some of my observations will be such a small snap shot,

125- Maybe can qualify- no points but seems like a kid that will be solid enough to keep things to a decision in important duals.

133- World level as expected.  I have no idea why he didn't take the last score for the tech?  National champ

141- Great ability to keep things close.  different weight but same guy  round of 12 type

149- Monster.  Reminds me of a metcalf type.  heavy hands and constant pressure.  top 6 this year.

157- qualifier with 1 or 2 backside wins.

165- seems like another really good middleweight.  165 is so tough that I doubt he places this year, but he will be right there with a few other guys for that 6-8 place.

174- Simply a machine.  I would hate to wrestle this guy.  National Champ

185- Brooks is in a class of his own but this Ball kid would start most places.  

197- Dean is what he is.  Like Warner and most of these 197 guys he could win it all or fall early in the tournament.  I thought the 2 at the end of regulation should have been awarded and when Rider challenged for the singlet pull (lung timeout) it really hurt Dean who was much fresher.  Folk style really needs the one point awarded to the other guy rule on failed challenges.

285- Kerk is getting better.  I hope he doesn't figure out the legs and turks because it will seperate him from everyone else.  Tony won't beat this guy again short of forcing an upper body situation and going big.  Too fast.  National champ.  These guys are who I thought they were.  

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, Hokeye said:

That was my first time watching PSU this year, so some of my observations will be such a small snap shot,

125- Maybe can qualify- no points but seems like a kid that will be solid enough to keep things to a decision in important duals.

133- World level as expected.  I have no idea why he didn't take the last score for the tech?  National champ

141- Great ability to keep things close.  different weight but same guy  round of 12 type

149- Monster.  Reminds me of a metcalf type.  heavy hands and constant pressure.  top 6 this year.

157- qualifier with 1 or 2 backside wins.

165- seems like another really good middleweight.  165 is so tough that I doubt he places this year, but he will be right there with a few other guys for that 6-8 place.

174- Simply a machine.  I would hate to wrestle this guy.  National Champ

185- Brooks is in a class of his own but this Ball kid would start most places.  

197- Dean is what he is.  Like Warner and most of these 197 guys he could win it all or fall early in the tournament.  I thought the 2 at the end of regulation should have been awarded and when Rider challenged for the singlet pull (lung timeout) it really hurt Dean who was much fresher.  Folk style really needs the one point awarded to the other guy rule on failed challenges.

285- Kerk is getting better.  I hope he doesn't figure out the legs and turks because it will seperate him from everyone else.  Tony won't beat this guy again short of forcing an upper body situation and going big.  Too fast.  National champ.  These guys are who I thought they were.  

Appreciate an honest assessment from a non PSU fan. Most guys on this site  just like to hate anything PSU and can’t say anything without the hate. 

141–can’t yet figure out what to make with Beau. Definetly looks a ton stronger at this weight, but still keeping matches closer against guys I feel like he should be putting away earlier. Last night great example, but did come up big at the end. Weak weight, could come top 3 or could be rd 16 

197–Dean has his style, Super tough defensively, great on top. May drop 1 or 2 more during season but come tournament time, can’t see him anywhere other than top 4. Been in final in last 2 NCAAs so not worried about him

HWT—Honestly, I wish Kerk would get rid of his new leg ride. Got reversed against Cassiopi, was way to high yesterday. Gonna put himself in danger when he shouldn’t be. That being said..coaches know a helluva lot more than me

Edited by Pish
  • Fire 2

11 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

Agree.  Concerned for when he eventually meets up with Elam.  I'd have Dean as a solid underdog 

Elam will have to win in feet because Dean will rack up 2:00 of RT when Elam goes down for his 1

i am an idiot on the internet

2 hours ago, Pish said:

Appreciate an honest assessment from a non PSU fan. Most guys on this site  just like to hate anything PSU and can’t say anything without the hate. 

141–can’t yet figure out what to make with Beau. Definetly looks a ton stronger at this weight, but still keeping matches closer against guys I feel like he should be putting away earlier. Last night great example, but did come up big at the end. Weak weight, could come top 3 or could be rd 16 

197–Dean has his style, Super tough defensively, great on top. May drop 1 or 2 more during season but come tournament time, can’t see him anywhere other than top 4. Been in final in last 2 NCAAs so not worried about him

HWT—Honestly, I wish Kerk would get rid of his new leg ride. Got reversed against Cassiopi, was way to high yesterday. Gonna put himself in danger when he shouldn’t be. That being said..coaches know a helluva lot more than me

I cringe when Kerk throws the legs in.  With no ACL he has to rely on his muscle and positioning to keep his leg in proper anatomical location.  It worries me every time.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

5 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I cringe when Kerk throws the legs in.  With no ACL he has to rely on his muscle and positioning to keep his leg in proper anatomical location.  It worries me every time.

Good point..didn't even think about the ACL..I just think he leaving himself open to being rolled over by these big boys..he using those legs like he's a lanky 141lber

I could have told you friends that Dean would go down.  I saw the shelling that he took at the hands of Drew Foster a couple of years ago.

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

2 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

I could have told you friends that Dean would go down.  I saw the shelling that he took at the hands of Drew Foster a couple of years ago.

Shelled?  What the deuce does it even mean?

You are citing a 6-4 loss in the natty finals in March of 2019 at the weight below as reasoning for last night's loss?

• Haha 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

4 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

"Guys, I know when Dean will lose because I, and no other wrestling fan, saw him lose in the NCAA finals a few years back, down a weight. Don't mind the loss to MSU or the 2 controversial matches at nationals last year, those are irrelevant. It's Drew Foster man, he's the key, man."

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Shelled?  What the deuce does it even mean?

You are citing a 6-4 loss in the natty finals in March of 2019 at the weight below as reasoning for last night's loss?

Took him apart.  Dean done did just rolled over and quit.

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

1 minute ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

"Guys, I know when Dean will lose because I, and no other wrestling fan, saw him lose in the NCAA finals a few years back, down a weight. Don't mind the loss to MSU or the 2 controversial matches at nationals last year, those are irrelevant. It's Drew Foster man, he's the key, man."

You're right!  Great job, my friend!

9 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Then why didn't you?

That was rhetorical. I already know the answer.

Just didn't take the time to do so.

7 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

What a dumb response to back up a dumb original post that was followed by an even dumber take.

Can't get one by you, can I, my boy!?  😉

7 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

What a dumb response to back up a dumb original post that was followed by an even dumber take.

This little ditty reminds me of when I used to play bridge, in a previous life.  There were three kinds of bridge players I played against:
1) Those who could play the hand well during play.
2) Those who could play the hand well after the cards were all played and laying on the table.
3) Those who still couldn't even play the hand well after the cards were all played and laying on the table.
It seems BB envisions himself as a #1.  It's obvious he's a #3.

15 hours ago, Idaho said:

Never have bet... never will bet.   How does my not being a betting person  change the result of tonights match where Laird was the better wrestler?  It has nothing to do with my mouth... probably more to do with Deans legs and Laird's arms. 

actually your twisting words now.... It was said Laird was the better wrestler....you disagreed... I said he proved it.... and he did.   If Dean beats him later then you can claim they are 1-1 against each other. Until then, Laird owns the head to head. 

YARN | - I don't gamble. - Pussy, pussy. | Dumb & Dumber (1994) | Video gifs  by quotes | 8a6b013f | 紗

I'll bet you $20 and give 20 to 1 odds I can get you gambling by the end of the day.

Edited by BTB1127
  • Haha 1

I know no one had "Ethan Laird" on their 197lb NCAA champ bingo card, but we're sleeping on him nonetheless.

He's been around forever and just keeps getting better.  Won 3 matches at NCAAs in 2019, 3 more in 2020, lost in blood round in 2021 before redshirting last year, when he finished 3rd at 97kg WTTs.  Wins over Elam, Gear, Woodley, Beard from his 197 days, then last 2 seasons up at HWT, and now back at 197 and unbeaten. 

Yes, Dean is a marquis win, but Laird is a load who should be on everyone's NCAA radar.

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, BerniePragle said:

This little ditty reminds me of when I used to play bridge, in a previous life.  There were three kinds of bridge players I played against:
1) Those who could play the hand well during play.
2) Those who could play the hand well after the cards were all played and laying on the table.
3) Those who still couldn't even play the hand well after the cards were all played and laying on the table.
It seems BB envisions himself as a #1.  It's obvious he's a #3.

Still a little sore over that data schmata, I see, Butch.

Actually, I'm none of the above, as I'd never even entertain the thought of playing bridge.  You and the old folks at the nursing home must have had a whizzbang of a time playin' dat dere bridge.  LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Rummy man...

I used to play a lot of cribbage, backgammon, and pepper (pretty much an exclusive Iowa card game), but quit a long time ago.  I can handle being beaten at something that is a skilled game, but when it's a matter of luck (dice and getting the right cards), I get way too ticked off and make Deuce Trump look like a good loser.

So, I had to quit.

• Fire 1

15 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Rummy man...

Not necessarily an OSU fan, but I do like your avatar, being a former mini-touring Deadhead in the early 80's.