Kyle burwikk

jajensen09

1 hour ago, jajensen09 said:

Bono could take it to his AD, that easy.

Perhaps your emotions are getting the best of you.  It's understandable.

Maybe think of it this way...

When an employee enjoys and wants to keep their job, they don't normally revisit items with their boss after the boss has reached a conclusion based on the best available information without any new information coming to light--especially after they issue a statement that they consider the matter closed and won't be further discussing the topic in public.

Cast aspersions on Bono all you want, but his actions seem reasonable and defensible to me.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

Perhaps your emotions are getting the best of you.  It's understandable.

Maybe think of it this way...

When an employee enjoys and wants to keep their job, they don't normally revisit items with their boss after the boss has reached a conclusion based on the best available information without any new information coming to light--especially after they issue a statement that they consider the matter closed and won't be further discussing the topic in public.

Cast aspersions on Bono all you want, but his actions seem reasonable and defensible to me.

Lol or just do the right thing. No skin off his ass to take it to the AD

• Haha 1

Consider reading the attached starting on page 12, "Assertions of No Participation Opportunity at Previous Institution."

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/committees/d1/clr/D1CLR_Guidelines.pdf

This is from February 2022.  Note the highlighted section.  It takes time to update forms.  The one provided earlier is current, dated 12/07/2022  My guess is the prior one is identical except that it didn't include the yellow highlight indicating the form was about to become obsolete.

This excerpt appears to make it a black and white issue:

"If applicant institution is unable to document that the student-athlete was no longer given an opportunity to participate by his or her previous institution for reasons outside the student-athlete’s control or if the student-athlete was dismissed from the previous institution’s team, which led to the student-athlete’s decision to transfer, the case should be denied."

This is guidance the NCAA wrote for itself to govern transfer and one-year sitouts.  If anyone is to blame, it's the NCAA.

Edited by 98lberEating2Lunches
  • Fire 1

Kyle put it out there that he was thinking about transferring of his own volition prior learning of Taylor's transfer into Wisconsin.

The May 1 portal entry deadline is about coaches and institutions having time to establish their teams. It was a step to reigning in an undesirable side-effect of the portal transfer process.

Kyle could've been less than fully truthful on his waiver exemption request, asserting some circumstance for which waiver exemptions are granted.  It doesn't appear that he was.  Good for him.

Just doesn't seem right for Nebraska, Manning, or Kyle to expect Wisconsin or Bono would certify the No Participation Opportunity untruthful.  Good for them.

And if rumors of Kyle's likely departure circulated Wisconsin led to Taylor's recruitment, well then, that would appear to fly in the face of the spirit of the May 1 deadline.

• Fire 1

11 hours ago, Idaho said:

95% of us know where this has landed ... some of us 5 pages ago... Not much else to see here.  

so all I've gotta do is go back and read the first 4 pages, what've we been doing these last 6 pages?!  🙄

• Fire 1

8 hours ago, jajensen09 said:

Just sign the papers Bono.  More stuff is starting to leak about he was shady at his last coaching position too

I’m still waiting for you to tell us specifically which papers you want Bono to sign.  You told me it is not the NPO exception document, but you won’t say which document you want him to sign.

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

6 minutes ago, jchapman said:

I’m still waiting for you to tell us specifically which papers you want Bono to sign.  You told me it is not the NPO exception document, but you won’t say which document you want him to sign.

It is the NPO for this year. He signs it, burwick wrestles. Sorry if his AD signs it

9 hours ago, jchapman said:

I’m still waiting for you to tell us specifically which papers you want Bono to sign.

A legitimate concern appears to have turned into a farce, once all the information could be pieced together.  I believe the continued calls for Bono to sign is simply trolling.  I also believe this thread has served its purpose and should be allowed to die in peace.

8 hours ago, MPhillips said:

Say it enough times and it becomes true?:classic_dry:

Apparently that's the strategy.

8 hours ago, jchapman said:

So lie to the ncaa and Burwick wrestles?

That would be showing real support for Kyle.  Alas, Wisconsin won't do it, so we'll see Kyle in a Nebraska singlet in 2023-24, assuming he doesn't enter the portal again.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, jchapman said:

So lie to the ncaa and Burwick wrestles?

This clinging to technicalities and ignoring of facts while playing with the collegiate athlete's limited asset (his eligibility) is gross.

They recruited a former All-American at his weight class.  The writing is pretty clearly on the wall, and also, that's not the scenario he signed up for.  Under your scenario, the only one who owes any loyalty is the one with less power, the very young adult who only has 5-6 chances to compete at this level.  The wrestling team can do as it likes to improve themselves and their situation, but Burwick can not.

14 hours ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

That would be showing real support for Kyle.  Alas, Wisconsin won't do it, so we'll see Kyle in a Nebraska singlet in 2023-24, assuming he doesn't enter the portal again.

And then you have this guy essentially celebrating the guy losing a year of eligibility.  Sad all around.

• Fire 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

this guy essentially celebrating

Who me? I am not celebrating.  I'm just being a realist.  Blame the NCAA not the Wisconsin AD or Bono.

Facts include the rule, May 1 deadline exists, and NPO NCAA process guidance exists at least until next year, because those are the rules the coaches and NCAA collectively agreed upon.

Also, Kyle admits he was thinking of leaving after last year's competition well before the May 1st.  That's before the Taylor Lamont recruitment.

Nobody on this board knows the nature of any communications between Bono and Kyle, including before Kyle talked face-to-face with Wisconsin coaches well after entering the portal late.

It's pretty evident that all of Kyle's public statements made it less likely that the Wisconsin AD could squint with one eye to certify the NPO.  Doing so now would seem risk the NCAA coming down on him.

To me, it has never been about picking sides or becoming morally outraged.  I just wanted to try and better understand what went on.  I think I have a much better understanding now than immediately after Kyle's Tweet.

Even @Husker_Du seems to understand both sides.  And he has declared he's not getting in the middle of it.  So I don't expect him to reply to this thread.

• Haha 1

This situation is exactly the kind of thing that makes everyone hate the NCAA and why it is one of the least sympathetic, most bureaucratic organizations in recent memory. It is like the residents of the Gables of Del Mar / Del Boca Vista. They exist to enforce these insane rules.

And there is a lot of Stockholm Syndrome going on in this thread. Some have pointed out the absurdity of the rule while others have defended the school, the administrators, coaches and the NCAA because of the existence of The Rule. Never mind that the rule is awful and awfully written making it nearly impossible to interpret. The fact that multiple compliance departments can come up with multiple interpretations of a single rule tells you everything you need to know about how well NCAA rules are written. I know what the words Non, Participation, and Opportunity mean, but I have no idea what a Non Participation Opportunity is. The opportunity not to do something? Holy Bureaucratic Double Speak, Batman.

If we go to first principles, Burwick is wrestling for Nebraska right now. He transferred to Nebraska after Wisconsin recruited someone to replace him. His replacement wrestles for Wisconsin, he wrestles for Nebraska. Simple. If there is a rule that prevents that from happening, the fault is in the rule, not the wrestler.

The worst part is that the NCAA knows this better than anyone. They fought successfully for decades to maintain their exemption from anti-trust so that they could enforce rules that clearly violate anti-trust standards. Having recently lost several high profile cases, they have begun to back away from some of their more draconian stances, but for some reason, this is one that stands.

• Fire 2

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Let the dude wrestle. This clearly doesn’t come off as a case of someone transferring to avoid discipline (think former Oregon QB and donkey Jeremiah Masoli) and even though they are giving out free years like candy these days, the lifespan of a college wrestling career is pretty limited.

I don’t care WHO is at fault, but let the dude compete. I don’t even care what the “rule” is here. Let the dude compete.

What is the end result? Maybe a dual win and maybe the difference between 4th and 5th in the Big Ten tournament?

• Fire 5

Insert catchy tagline here.