I don't know how to feel about women's sports

On the same day that Caitlin Clark hit one of the most amazing game winning shots I have ever seen (contested, step back, three-pointer, FROM THE LOGO)

I also see this:

• In women’s basketball, the Grambling State Lady Tigers beat the College of Biblical Studies 159-18. Grambling started the game on a 34-0 run and didn’t let up. The 141-point win represents the largest margin of victory by a Division I women’s basketball team in history.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

There’s levels to this. Grambling had no business playing a school at that level. The comparison of these two sporting events is only similar in that it was women’s basketball. Nothing else about them is really the same.

Insert catchy tagline here. 

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

• In women’s basketball, the Grambling State Lady Tigers beat the College of Biblical Studies 159-18. Grambling started the game on a 34-0 run and didn’t let up. The 141-point win represents the largest margin of victory by a Division I women’s basketball team in history.

Matt. 5 Verse 39

[39] But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

or her & smite thee with a basket 🤷‍♀️

22 minutes ago, ionel said:

Matt. 5 Verse 39

[39] But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

or her & smite thee with a basket 🤷‍♀️

I think all four cheeks got slapped there.

1 hour ago, Jason Bryant said:

There’s levels to this. Grambling had no business playing a school at that level. The comparison of these two sporting events is only similar in that it was women’s basketball. Nothing else about them is really the same.

I think that is where I struggle. Both the fact that there are levels, but also that the levels are so far apart. Why is Grambling State playing the College of Biblical Studies? Why are these two levels that are so far apart intersecting? Don't the levels exist to prevent this type of thing?

Women's college basketball goes back to 1896. It has been in the Olympics since 1976. It just seems odd that this kind of mismatch exists, but it also seems to be the province of women's sports these days. As a matter of fact, the three largest margins of victory in women's college basketball have happened in the last 6 years.

That mismatch exists because some schools look for easy wins despite where they are in the competitive landscape. Buy games exist in nearly every sport, but these tiny schools see a buy game the same way the smaller FCS schools do in football. But in this case, a D1 playing a non-NCAA school of that size is just poor leadership from an administrative level. It’s not a women’s sports problem it’s a poor leadership college sports problem.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Why is Grambling State playing the College of Biblical Studies?

... the three largest margins of victory in women's college basketball have happened in the last 6 years.

A sign of the end of times, perhaps we need to review Revelations?  🤔

2 hours ago, Jason Bryant said:

That mismatch exists because some schools look for easy wins despite where they are in the competitive landscape. Buy games exist in nearly every sport, but these tiny schools see a buy game the same way the smaller FCS schools do in football. But in this case, a D1 playing a non-NCAA school of that size is just poor leadership from an administrative level. It’s not a women’s sports problem it’s a poor leadership college sports problem.

Great recent example in Men's basketball where NDSU beat a DII school 108-14. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

Great recent example in Men's basketball where NDSU beat a DII school 108-14. 

It was actually a non-NCAA school. Oak Hills Christian College, a member of something called the Association of Christian College Athletics. Enrollment 100.

What is it about the religious schools that makes them want to be martyrs?

• Fire 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I think that is where I struggle. Both the fact that there are levels, but also that the levels are so far apart. Why is Grambling State playing the College of Biblical Studies? Why are these two levels that are so far apart intersecting? Don't the levels exist to prevent this type of thing?

Women's college basketball goes back to 1896. It has been in the Olympics since 1976. It just seems odd that this kind of mismatch exists, but it also seems to be the province of women's sports these days. As a matter of fact, the three largest margins of victory in women's college basketball have happened in the last 6 years.

Is College of Biblical Studies even in a division? Maybe NAIA?  Regardless as a coach you should be respectful of the other team .Especially when the coach knows there is a tremendous skill level between the teams. I would say if you have some of the better mens teams in Div, 1 play a below average NAIA team . They would easily win by a lot. So there are levels in mens sports. 

3 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

Is College of Biblical Studies even in a division? Maybe NAIA?  Regardless as a coach you should be respectful of the other team .Especially when the coach knows there is a tremendous skill level between the teams. I would say if you have some of the better mens teams in Div, 1 play a below average NAIA team . They would easily win by a lot. So there are levels in mens sports. 

They have two sports - men's and women's basketball and isn't a member of a larger organization like the NCAA or NAIA, they're below that in the National Christian College Athletic Association. 

There are some "larger" schools associated with it, but some of these places might be in your local strip mall, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCCAA_institutions

14 minutes ago, Jason Bryant said:

They have two sports - men's and women's basketball and isn't a member of a larger organization like the NCAA or NAIA, they're below that in the National Christian College Athletic Association. 

There are some "larger" schools associated with it, but some of these places might be in your local strip mall, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCCAA_institutions

Thanks. I appreciate that. I figured it must have been a huge mismatch. We had a high school football coach that ran the score up on a school for the  deaf. I think the score was 110 to 7 . It made national news on all the tv stations and he was abruptly fired from his job.

Edited by Paul158
missed a word