Brands wanted them, he got them

H82Lose

5 hours ago, Maxwell Smart said:

They were the pinnacle of wrestling under Dan Gable. The pressure to perform has been getting to the Brands brothers and program for years. The lack of individual champions over the last 10 years is shocking considering other programs like Cornell, Nebraska, Missouri, and N C State recruiting and developing talent.  Unfortunately, they aren't THE program everyone wants to go to and they're falling behind the previously mentioned programs. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out. This behavior isn't agreeable to Iowa fans or wrestling fans.

I guess that’s part of what I’m getting at. This wreaks of desperation, and I don’t think that’s anything Iowa wrestling would ever want to their brand to be associated with.

Edited by RegularStalling

1 hour ago, Dogbone said:

Why does anyone think this changes AJ or any Ferrari from going to Iowa?  

It will get downplayed, just some pushing and shoving, punch didn't even connect, it was the other guy who started it, even if by starting it that means not allowing your head to be pushed down after the match, it was only the one finger solute, come on the tournament's name was soldier solute, just a little misunderstanding.

Nothing in Iowa's history suggest this behavior is so egregious that there would be even a hand slap.   

Dust up with ISU after the match, Desanto's actions, Gilman body slamming Waters...

Just add it to the list of things opposing fans will use to say Iowa is disrespectful thugs and Iowa fans will say is no big deal, only because it is Iowa that people are making a big deal about it. And move on until the next thing.

How many of those guys faced sexual battery charges? 

• Fire 1

Brands did good job controlling Desanto

Not sure its going to work with AJ. just think it will be a side show. lot tradition and greatest taking chance to tarnish that image. Me personally don't think its worth the risk. I would pass.

Edited by cangemi

3 hours ago, VakAttack said:

This is wildly overdramatic.  They're the second most successful program in the current Era.  They're not as good as Oenn State, and that sucks as a fan, but every year they're as good or better than everybody else.

Success has little to do with my point. The program is welcoming the circus in out of nothing more than desperation. Now, wherever Iowa goes to compete, the former allure and awe they were met with is reduced to “what rancid shit are the Ferrai’s going to do today?” That’s a sad state of affairs, and it’s an all time low for a historic program.

• Fire 2

2 minutes ago, RegularStalling said:

Success has little to do with my point. The program is welcoming the circus in out of nothing more than desperation. Now, wherever Iowa goes to compete, the former allure and awe they were met with is reduced to “what rancid shit are the Ferrai’s going to do today?” That’s a sad state of affairs, and it’s an all time low for a historic program.

Hard to deny they have put culture on the back burner.  Its kinda sad when someone makes a deal with the devil and then realizes there wasn't any upside. 

• Fire 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

All par for the course. Just the other day the Brands called a puss on the mat after Iowa lost. The Brands spend more time yelling at the opposing coach then coaching their own athletes. 

Remember when they tried to copy the “fun” Penn State and made all these happy videos? They realized they couldn’t fake it and decided to lean in on being full on heels. Now it’s all about getting people to boo as much as possible. The more people boo the more Iowa fans cheer / regardless of actions on the mat. 

Sad that Iowa used to show extreme aggression and dominance while using it as a character building trait. Now it’s just low character antics to get social media clicks. 

I coached for a long time and like all coaches had to deal with parents who defended their kid's outrageous behavior. But, I never had an athlete whose behavior got close to this (I had a kid steal an i-pod from a locker room; I never had a kid decorate one with his own shit).

Question: What do these parent's say about this. I know it's sorta beside the point bc their adults. Still wonder.

AJ shouldn't be allowed to compete for Iowa against anybody, let alone Brooks.  That said, it's his first competition in 2 years.  Thinking he'd just be this same guy in March is folly.  Again, I hope he doesn't get the opportunity, and if he does, I would predict Brooks to win, but Ferrari would have a legit shot. 

• Fire 3

7 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I meant overall, not just for his very first competition.

So the Ferrari we saw yesterday was just as good as the 2021 NCAA Champ version, apart from a little first-competition gassing? 

Oh man, Brooks would DESTROY him.  I can't believe this is even a conversation.

34 minutes ago, Caveira said:

Best video of the incident I’ve seen so far.  He definitely hits the ref (probably on accident…. But still you can’t do that).   You also get to see the splits / double bird.  

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8CyudVQ/

Thanks, this captures it all, though its annoying to have to cock your head to the side to watch it.

I'm trying to think about what memes to make with the double-bird + splits image.  Ideas, anyone?

14 minutes ago, BAC said:

Thanks, this captures it all, though its annoying to have to cock your head to the side to watch it.

I'm trying to think about what memes to make with the double-bird + splits image.  Ideas, anyone?

Given it's still the 12 days of Christmas you should make it two turtle doves 

i am an idiot on the internet