OT: Greatest Christmas movie ever

AgaveMaria

1 minute ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Amen. Our family always found it hilarious that the adult, Dasher, is the one who says to the kids, "Let's not let Rudolph play in any reindeer games." Now that is some real Christmas spirit.

I like it because I think it is the most realistic.  But I hear you

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Amen. Our family always found it hilarious that the adult, Dasher, is the one who says to the kids, "Let's not let Rudolph play in any reindeer games." Now that is some real Christmas spirit.

Yeah. While we're are at let's all admit that every Charlie Brown special also is trash. The fact that I loved them all as a kid just shows how crappy TV was back in the day.

**The jazzy theme song holds up though

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Inspiration for a whole generation of coachesimage.png.da85d5ac496ec0293e5fac67eb0d3f1c.png

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Jim L said:

Yeah. While we're are at let's all admit that every Charlie Brown special also is trash. The fact that I loved them all as a kid just shows how crappy TV was back in the day.

And where were their parents on Thanksgiving?

image.thumb.png.8b267b6eea6127659e00a2d2149f2e4d.png

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

7 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

And where were their parents on Thanksgiving?

image.thumb.png.8b267b6eea6127659e00a2d2149f2e4d.png

Where parents were in the late-60's/early-70's: leaving their kids to their own devices. Believe it or not, we (kids) played unsupervised for most of the day, everyday, including Thanksgiving and Christmas. Note: the parents did show up to WahWahWah all the way to Grandma's house 

Edited by jackwebster

18 hours ago, Jim L said:

A Christmas Carol.

Many great versions, not only the greatest Christmas story ever, but in the running for the greatest story ever.

Discussion officially over

I agree. 

In fact, I just put up a video on YouTube about A Christmas Carol. It's pretty short, but I still discuss how absolutely weird it was, and then explore how Charles Dickens came up with the greatest transformation in the history of fiction. 

• Fire 1

16 hours ago, Jim L said:

The Jazzy theme holds up but the story does too.   The animation is not the greatest I'll give you.   But the Peanuts Christmas show is an all time classic.   The music makes it happen. 

mspart

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, mspart said:

The Jazzy theme holds up but the story does too.   The animation is not the greatest I'll give you.   But the Peanuts Christmas show is an all time classic.   The music makes it happen. 

mspart

Re animation not the greatest: pfft. Frieda and Rerun trill af

Can You Name All 15 Charlie Brown Characters_.gif

Edited by jackwebster
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, mspart said:

mspart

The whole Peanuts storyline that Charlie Brown is a loser that nobody likes and is constantly picked on sucks.

I realized it was sh*tty as a kid in the 70s, not that I didn't always want to watch the Peanuts specials every time they were on.

I present the first Peanuts trip ever:

image.png.7219e268ff63a572e7385f9fb6fba3e1.png

• Fire 1

On 12/18/2023 at 5:43 PM, Wrestleknownothing said:

Don't get me wrong. I love it. Loved it as a kid and that lasts. It is only as an adult that I love it for being such a bad example of adult behavior too.

We can't change history - even Rudolph - it was what it was.

Which is exactly why it is such a great opportunity to review and learn from it.

History has a ton of examples of how we used to do it wrong. We don't need them deleted; we need them as reminders.

• Fire 1

On 12/19/2023 at 3:43 PM, Jim L said:

The whole Peanuts storyline that Charlie Brown is a loser that nobody likes and is constantly picked on sucks.

I realized it was sh*tty as a kid in the 70s, not that I didn't always want to watch the Peanuts specials every time they were on.

I present the first Peanuts trip ever:

image.png.7219e268ff63a572e7385f9fb6fba3e1.png

Suck it up, don't be such a loser, get over your panophobia, Charlie Brown.

The best part of the Xmas Special is when Schulz goes all Kafka and has God turn his back on Charlie Brown in the penultimate scene, the true final scene before net execs Hollywooded it: Linus tells the true meaning of Xmas -- the Jesus savior bit -- Charlie Brown's spirits are lifted and then ... he kills the tree. God has abandoned CB. 

Edit: Wait ... I might be misremembering the order. This might explain a lot. Scheduling therapy appt now.

Edit 2: Nope. I was right.

Edited by jackwebster
  • Fire 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/19/2023 at 9:08 PM, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

I agree. 

In fact, I just put up a video on YouTube about A Christmas Carol. It's pretty short, but I still discuss how absolutely weird it was, and then explore how Charles Dickens came up with the greatest transformation in the history of fiction. 

Thank you for posting your video. It's wonderful. I loved it, as I love the Alistair Sims version of A Christmas Carol dearly. Your video is quite enlightening, providing a cool analysis of the beginning of the story, the background story of Laura Bridgeman and Dickens' writing about her. Very nice. One small quibble: I would avoid words like ridiculous when discussing this serious piece of literature that is everything that you so clearly expressed; it is a call to the reader to improve himself, and to do good in the world. It reminds me of some of the writings of Leo Tolstoy, who in one of his autobiographies lays out what he sees as our duty and responsibility as humans: to take this journey and make it one in which we improve incrementally, doing more good for others in the world.  

Merry Christmas to you and everyone. God bless us, everyone. 

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, Pa in Taiwan said:

Thank you for posting your video. It's wonderful. I loved it, as I love the Alistair Sims version of A Christmas Carol dearly. Your video is quite enlightening, providing a cool analysis of the beginning of the story, the background story of Laura Bridgeman and Dickens' writing about her. Very nice. One small quibble: I would avoid words like ridiculous when discussing this serious piece of literature that is everything that you so clearly expressed; it is a call to the reader to improve himself, and to do good in the world. It reminds me of some of the writings of Leo Tolstoy, who in one of his autobiographies lays out what he sees as our duty and responsibility as humans: to take this journey and make it one in which we improve incrementally, doing more good for others in the world.  

Merry Christmas to you and everyone. God bless us, everyone. 

A very thoughtful critique. I will take it to heart. Cheers!