Bo Bassett - is he the next "Spencer Lee" in terms of being a program changer?

Jimmy Cinnabon

I heard he's about to announce his top 5.  Another PA kid, elite lightweight who could buck the trend and become a Hawkeye and lead the program...be a real game changer.

Do we think it happens or does he go to Ohio State or Penn State?

Penn State has had a long drought at 125 ever since Nicky Suriano left and cursed the program.  They need an elite 125 pounder but at Penn State Bassett would just be "another guy" although he'd probably win at 2-3 NCAA titles and just as many team titles.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

He is 138 this year as a Soph.  He likely projects as middleweight at the lowest...

He could end up pulling a Truax and starting his true frosh season at 149 and ending at 165 then going 197 before his career is order.

There isn't any chance he sees 125, hell... there is a very small chance he sees 133, come NCAA D1 wrestling.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

3 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I heard he's about to announce his top 5.  Another PA kid, elite lightweight who could buck the trend and become a Hawkeye and lead the program...be a real game changer.

Penn State has had a long drought at 125 ever since Nicky Suriano left and cursed the program.  They need an elite 125 pounder but at Penn State Bassett would just be "another guy" although he'd probably win at 2-3 NCAA titles and just as many team titles.

Not at Iowa. Spencer Lee was there, was excellent but didn't change much of anything about iowa Wrestling. Spencer Lee was the leader in a team not prepared to follow courtesy of Coaching not equipped to take advantage of his presence. They followed him rather than pushing and developing him even further.

Penn State or Cornell are the two that make sense. Forget Iowa and tOSU isn't doing a great job at developing top shelf talent once they hit campus.(a good job, but not like PSU and Cornell)

He is looking like a long term great - but still has not won an NCAA title. Let him continue his path in High School, entering some College tournaments and see how he progresses. See if his knees, elbows and back hold up to the pounding.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

3 hours ago, AgaveMaria said:

Not at Iowa. Spencer Lee was there, was excellent but didn't change much of anything about iowa Wrestling. 

If Spencer didn't wrestle for Iowa, there would be even more seasons where the team had zero individual champions, possibly to an unforgivable extent to the fanbase. Brands' contract may not have been renewed last year if it wasn't for Lee. The program had 3(? Ramos, Clark DSJ) title winners over the past decade and Spencer alone doubled that number. Iowa Wrestling might look completely different today if it wasn't for him.

Back to the topic, I thought Basset was leaning toward Ohio State?

7 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Sorry Jim, he updated his list to almost every wrestling program on his updated list, just a shame I didn't see Penn St on there. 

23 minutes ago, MNRodent said:

He has it narrowed down to....

image.thumb.png.d4720292d577e1ab689c3a6655e9c82b.png

Narrowed PA schools down to Penn State, Pitt, Lehigh, Drexel, UPJ, UPenn, Edinboro, Bucknell but no Franklin & Marshall or Lock Haven?  @Husker_Duwhat's that drama all about?  Backstory?

Edited by PortaJohn

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

SynthGH...breakfast of champions. If the ncaa is going to dish out dumb money to kids to jump ship, they should also catch up on the drug testing. Endless gas tanks and growing from midgets to light heavies. Aren't they still only testing for weed coke test levels? 

For 100k, what's the incentive for top guns to stay put? Franek is ok at best.