Penn State vulnerable?

Jimmy Cinnabon

Penn State beat Lehigh yesterday but it was not a totally dominant win, even factoring in some guys missing action like SVN and Brooks.

125 - Gary Steen looks largely like the same wrestler from years past.  Tries hard, still too small.  Not a NCAA qualifier.  Their other options in Howard and Davis did not wrestle.  I think Davis is probably their best bet since Howard cannot stay healthy.

133 - Nagao lost and it wasn't close.  Granted Crookham may be the best 33 pounder in the country but Nagao didn't have much for him.  I think Nagao still AAs but I don't think he's a finalist.

149 - SVN did not wrestle for some reason

157 - Haines won but did not dominate.  He looks banged up already.

165 and 174 - Mesenbrink and Starocci looked great.  Need to see a larger sample size for MM to see if he's big enough for the weight.

184 - Truax looked great, but he's likely not a finalist either and definitely not beating Keicksen.

HWT - Kerk looked good but may have gotten injured

So I still think PSU wins it all, but we may need to pump the breaks on having 9 AAs, 7 finalists and 5 champs.

My prediction as of now is 8 AAs: 133, 141, 149, 157, 174, 184, 197, HWT.

4 finalists at 149, 174, 197 and HWT

3 champs 174, 197 and HWT

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

How many finalists and champs do you have?

I’d probably say 5 finalists and 4 champs if I had to put numbers on it.

174/197/285 are basically locks to make the finals and are heavy favorites to win, then would need 2 finalist and 1 champ out of 141, 149, 157, and 184 which I’d put decent odds on happening.  I honestly wouldn’t be shocked to see Brooks or Kerk lose, but also wouldn’t be shocked to see 2 or more of 141/149/157/184 win.

49 minutes ago, headshuck said:

Steveson might still go which bumps Kerk to the bottom bracket.

If Steveson wrestles then Kerk likely drops to the 2 or 3 seed side which still puts him in the finals. He took his only competition to the woodshed and the coaches poll will not look kindly upon Schultz ducking multiple years.

i am an idiot on the internet

2 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Penn State beat Lehigh yesterday but it was not a totally dominant win, even factoring in some guys missing action like SVN and Brooks.

125 - Gary Steen looks largely like the same wrestler from years past.  Tries hard, still too small.  Not a NCAA qualifier.  Their other options in Howard and Davis did not wrestle.  I think Davis is probably their best bet since Howard cannot stay healthy.

133 - Nagao lost and it wasn't close.  Granted Crookham may be the best 33 pounder in the country but Nagao didn't have much for him.  I think Nagao still AAs but I don't think he's a finalist.

149 - SVN did not wrestle for some reason

157 - Haines won but did not dominate.  He looks banged up already.

165 and 174 - Mesenbrink and Starocci looked great.  Need to see a larger sample size for MM to see if he's big enough for the weight.

184 - Truax looked great, but he's likely not a finalist either and definitely not beating Keicksen.

HWT - Kerk looked good but may have gotten injured

So I still think PSU wins it all, but we may need to pump the breaks on having 9 AAs, 7 finalists and 5 champs.

My prediction as of now is 8 AAs: 133, 141, 149, 157, 174, 184, 197, HWT.

4 finalists at 149, 174, 197 and HWT

3 champs 174, 197 and HWT

Don't forget that Cael has apparently lost interest in coaching.  He just stares at the wrestlers on the mat with disinterest making you think he just wants the get back to the practice room and play dodgeball.  🙄

I'm with Jimmy on this.

The 1st weekend of December is always the best barometer for the season and how mid-March shapes up as a whole.

Jimmy needs to see if MM is big enough for 65s, because he's an expert on this (he already pointed out how Brooks was too small for 184, so he's hedging his bet by stating Brooks makes the finals at 197 - this way he can point out how he already posted that he was too small if he doesn't, but here he has him typed into the finals if he does - well played JC; I'm sure you do really well at the blackjack tables).

After such a lackluster performance against the Bethlehem builders' school yesterday, it's obvious PSU will not contend for a title and that the Sanderson cabal should all be fired.

7/10 on your troll meter...

• Haha 1

Every year Jimmy. Every freaking year, you come across as not having learned from recent history. There’s struggle, there’s peaking, there’s regression; Penn State like every other team goes through this and absolutely masters performance in mid-March. I would be concerned if they DON’T look this way at different points through the season, that’s how peaking works!

Edited by MLB9
  • Fire 1

Every year Jimmy. Every freaking year, you come across as not having learned from recent history. There’s struggle, there’s peaking, there’s regression; Penn State like every other team goes through this and absolutely masters performance in mid-March. I would be concerned if they DON’T look this way at different points through the season, that’s how peaking works!

Opening dual weekend and usually around the first or second weekend of February, they look like crap.

Then they come out and pistol whip everyone in January and March.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Fire 1

6 hours ago, MLB9 said:

He knows what he’s doing. It’s all part of his game…He doesn’t actually believe it

Yeah, same here. Will be a good match, both are great on their feet. Bastida probably will be giving up a few pounds. 

I think Kerk wins 10-4 or so.

Davison isn’t on the level and wrestled a terrible match against Bastida. Not exactly a good measuring stick to compare him to Kerk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

SVN out for the year.  This hurts.

Cinneboy cursed the lions. Maybe he is really an Iowa sleeper agent? Would explain why he welches on bets and thinks he is right no matter what reality is.

Edited by AgaveMaria

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

5 minutes ago, AgaveMaria said:

Cinneboy cursed the lions. Maybe he is really an Iowa sleeper agent? Would explain why he welches on bets and thinks he is right no matter what reality is.

he's also mixing in a lot of dumb but straightforward posts, which undermine his troll status. 

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."