Iowa Preview

Maxwell Smart

The first topic I addressed in this forum was how intermat is in love with the Brands brothers and I didn't understand the adulation based on the lack of results in the last 13 years. Kevin Claunch writes they "THRIVE off your negative vibes" and "they get STRONGER with every negative thought about Iowa and are MASTERS at motivating their athletes when it's THEM against the world." The staff gets the best out of their talent, which is generally seems to be why talent goes there. Look at their record! No NCAA team titles in 14 years, finished 3rd and 4th several times, top recruits and transfers never became individual champions, several years with NO individual national champion. The fan base readily accepts that they're the 2nd best team and crow about it. There was a time when what Kevin Claunch wrote was 100% accurate, but it hasn't been that way since Dan Gable. The Brands brothers are entertaining but aren't the great coaches they get credit for being. IMO.

What the actual fck are you on about Maxwell "Not so" Smart?  They have legitimately won an NCAA title and were the heavy favorites to win a cancelled 2020 tournament.

I direct you here, if you want to know FACTS...

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

8 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Didn't we see this thread a couple months ago with  "How much ________. is in love with Iowa"? 

Ah yeah... in that time they went from winning one to winning none, though... interesting...

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Maxwell Smart said:

The first topic I addressed in this forum was how intermat is in love with the Brands brothers and I didn't understand the adulation based on the lack of results in the last 13 years. Kevin Claunch writes they "THRIVE off your negative vibes" and "they get STRONGER with every negative thought about Iowa and are MASTERS at motivating their athletes when it's THEM against the world." The staff gets the best out of their talent, which is generally seems to be why talent goes there. Look at their record! No NCAA team titles in 14 years, finished 3rd and 4th several times, top recruits and transfers never became individual champions, several years with NO individual national champion. The fan base readily accepts that they're the 2nd best team and crow about it. There was a time when what Kevin Claunch wrote was 100% accurate, but it hasn't been that way since Dan Gable. The Brands brothers are entertaining but aren't the great coaches they get credit for being. IMO.

In the last 14 tournaments they have 3 team titles, 2 seconds, 4 thirds, 4 fourths, and 1 fifth.

No other team, including PSU has finished in the top 5 each of the last 14 tournaments.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

5 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

So if I am following, you think Iowa gets too much attention but also started a new thread to discuss Iowa???  

He is growing, man.  At least he didn't title it "Maxwell Smart Jr" or something along that line.

• Haha 1

There's no hate for Iowa. The Brands brothers are held in high regard even though they underachieve with the talent they bring in. The statements made in the preview laud their ability to motivate and get results, I don't believe their record reflects the adulation. They should have more individual champions with the talent they've had since the brothers took over the program. There's no doubt the Hawkeyes are one of the best programs, they're not just "the best" like the good old days. The amount of coverage isn't the point, it's the constant praise of the coaches who don't get the most out of their athletes. It's been my opinion for years and that opinion doesn't make me stupid.

4 hours ago, Maxwell Smart said:

There's no hate for Iowa. The Brands brothers are held in high regard even though they underachieve with the talent they bring in. The statements made in the preview laud their ability to motivate and get results, I don't believe their record reflects the adulation. They should have more individual champions with the talent they've had since the brothers took over the program. There's no doubt the Hawkeyes are one of the best programs, they're not just "the best" like the good old days. The amount of coverage isn't the point, it's the constant praise of the coaches who don't get the most out of their athletes. It's been my opinion for years and that opinion doesn't make me stupid.

Yes it does.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Maxwell Smart said:

As an Iowa fan, I actually find myself gravitating more towards your point of view than that of a lot of message board active Iowa fans. It does feel like, despite being consistently a trophy hunting team, that Iowa has underperformed and more often than I care to recall. Not having a champion every year stinks even if that might be due to PSU's success clouding my judgment. It also stinks that some of our highly touted recruits have come up short (Marinelli, Evans, Warner, Moore, come to mind) and that we seem to be beleaguered by injuries every year. I've heard many different rationalizations for these things from the fans over the years and some of them even make sense. Still, it stinks. 

Even admitting to all that, I'm not sure which coaching staff out there could be expected to do much better than the Brands have. It would be interesting to get someone outside of the program on staff, just to see what they could do. 

Iowa has gotten a very solid corps of recruits over the last half a dozen years or so but they are still behind PSU in this regard. Moreover, I would argue that they haven't even consistently been the #2 recruiting team during this time period. The last time I looked at the data I felt that that distinction belonged to The University. But my glasses may have been foggy. 

The transfer portal has been good to them. But, unfortunately, that seems to be our new reality and if you don't use it you'll find yourself falling behind. Even so it's not like this has played to their great advantage, either. I think PSU, and more recently, Michigan, have scooped bounties out of the portal just as much, as if not more, than Iowa. 

• Fire 1

So, how does Tom compare to Tom Ryan at THE Ohio State University?

Ryan is 198-66 with One NCAA Title.

Brands is 265-25-1 with Four NCAA Titles.

Both coaches have one major problem - Cael Sanderson.

He has changed the landscape much as Gery Kurelmeier/Dan Gable did.

• Fire 1

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

16 minutes ago, AgaveMaria said:

So, how does Tom compare to Tom Ryan at THE Ohio State University?

Ryan is 198-66 with One NCAA Title.

Brands is 265-25-1 with Four NCAA Titles.

Both coaches have one major problem - Cael Sanderson.

He has changed the landscape much as Gery Kurelmeier/Dan Gable did.

Damn it.

You say dumb crap in another thread then follow-up with this fire take?

Why do you have to play with me like that?

4 hours ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

As an Iowa fan, I actually find myself gravitating more towards your point of view than that of a lot of message board active Iowa fans. It does feel like, despite being consistently a trophy hunting team, that Iowa has underperformed and more often than I care to recall. Not having a champion every year stinks even if that might be due to PSU's success clouding my judgment. It also stinks that some of our highly touted recruits have come up short (Marinelli, Evans, Warner, Moore, come to mind) and that we seem to be beleaguered by injuries every year. I've heard many different rationalizations for these things from the fans over the years and some of them even make sense. Still, it stinks. 

Even admitting to all that, I'm not sure which coaching staff out there could be expected to do much better than the Brands have. It would be interesting to get someone outside of the program on staff, just to see what they could do. 

Iowa has gotten a very solid corps of recruits over the last half a dozen years or so but they are still behind PSU in this regard. Moreover, I would argue that they haven't even consistently been the #2 recruiting team during this time period. The last time I looked at the data I felt that that distinction belonged to The University. But my glasses may have been foggy. 

The transfer portal has been good to them. But, unfortunately, that seems to be our new reality and if you don't use it you'll find yourself falling behind. Even so it's not like this has played to their great advantage, either. I think PSU, and more recently, Michigan, have scooped bounties out of the portal just as much, as if not more, than Iowa. 

@Wrestleknownothing?  Can you work your magix with this one?

I might suggest using Flo's until approximately three (3) years ago and then going with Brain's.  Just a gut feeling there.

There isn't anyone out there that could top the Brands aside for Cael and his crew.

You could go for Metcalf, but his shine turns a bit more flat each year he isn't a HC.  Not a sleight, just a matter of recency bias turning less recent.  Also he is under Dresser.  Not sure if that is a good or bad thing for recruiting purposes, were Metcalf go for a HC position elsewhere, but much like Reader with Bono it makes me like him less because of the company he chooses.

Actually?  You want it to be a fire hiring?  JB w/ Mark Hall and James Green would be a fire coaching crew.  Maybe McFadden rather than Green?  Or bring in the other Turdbiscuit and team up all old Nebbie folk in JB, JG, and Berger.

14 minutes ago, headshuck said:

It would take someone that could build a NLWC alternative.

Or perhaps a continuance?  What if Dake and Taylor went there?  Or a Nolf and Zain?

• Fire 1

11 minutes ago, headshuck said:

Sure, but I think the key is the financial backing that comes with the change.

Don't they have a billionaire mogul that is like "I will pay Focus 5,000,000 USD if he'll wrastle for Iowa... and sleep with my wife.  Twice."