Shapiro - is he really a threat to win it as Freshman?

Dark Energy

1 hour ago, Ban Basketball said:

If I had dime for every "next big thing" entering the college ranks from either freestyle, Greco,  or high school I'd be living the life of a lottery winner. 

I couldn't count the number of "next big thing" flops. 

Sure, there are busts. But #1 overall recruits are typically a pretty safe bet to have future success. 

28 minutes ago, Gus said:

Sure, there are busts. But #1 overall recruits are typically a pretty safe bet to have future success. 

We shall see.

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

1 minute ago, WildTurk said:

It shows.  A big reason why you should talk less

Fair enough, but we shall see regarding Shapiro, won't we, ma'am?

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

15 hours ago, Dark Energy said:

Listing to FRL - mention of Shapiro as a real title threat at 157.  Even that he is a favorite.  

157 seems pretty deep.  Feel like I’m missing something.  I know Shapiro wrestled college guys last year and did well.  But did he beat anyone upper echelon?  For those that he did beat, was it with severe authority?  

Curious to hear the case for him being at least a top two favorite to win 157.

The kid is an absolute stud and of all the recruits out there Shapiro was on the top of list for myself and everyother PSU fan.  Shame Cael didn't get him but he's going to do very well in the Cornell program and be a great representative for USA wrestling one day.  Kid's special 

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

12 hours ago, Gus said:

How many Junior Freestyle World Champs have been busts? Not many! I'm still waiting for Braxton Amos to break out, but he seems to be a bit of a 'tweener, and his skillset may be more suited to the international styles.

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

How many Junior Freestyle World Champs have been busts? Not many! I'm still waiting for Braxton Amos to break out, but he seems to be a bit of a 'tweener, and his skillset may be more suited to the international styles.

USA Jr Freestyle World champs since 2005

2007 - Bubba Jenkins

2013 - Kyle Snyder

2015 - Spencer Lee

2016 - Spencer Lee, Mark Hall

2017 - Daton Fix, Mark Hall, Gable Steveson

2018 - Mekhi Lewis

2019 - David Carr, Mason Parris

2021 - Kegan O-Toole, Rocky Elam, Braxton Amos

2022 - Jore Volk, Ben Kueter

2023 - Meyer Shapiro, Mitchell Mesenbrink

From what I can see on Cadet & Jr world champs the list includes: Gable Steveson, Mark Hall & Meyer Shapiro

• Fire 2

12 minutes ago, Gus said:

USA Jr Freestyle World champs since 2005

2007 - Bubba Jenkins

2013 - Kyle Snyder

2015 - Spencer Lee

2016 - Spencer Lee, Mark Hall

2017 - Daton Fix, Mark Hall, Gable Steveson

2018 - Mekhi Lewis

2019 - David Carr, Mason Parris

2021 - Kegan O-Toole, Rocky Elam, Braxton Amos

2022 - Jore Volk, Ben Kueter

2023 - Meyer Shapiro, Mitchell Mesenbrink

From what I can see on Cadet & Jr world champs the list includes: Gable Steveson, Mark Hall & Meyer Shapiro

Ban was right.  A ton of busts on there! (sarcasm)

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

None. The answer is none. Every Junior Freestyle World Champ is a Junior Freestyle WORLD CHAMP.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

12 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

None. The answer is none. Every Junior Freestyle World Champ is a Junior Freestyle WORLD CHAMP.

Right, but the topic is NCAA wrestling, and another poster started rattling off some drivel about all the busts that he's witnessed over the years (despite bragging that he only follows one school, and only in-season).

7 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Right, but the topic is NCAA wrestling, and another poster started rattling off some drivel about all the busts that he's witnessed over the years (despite bragging that he only follows one school, and only in-season).

I used to read his posts. I just skip over them now.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

43 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Ban was right.  A ton of busts on there! (sarcasm)

There are 16 wrestlers listed that have won a Jr World title. 9 of them have won at least one NCAA title (Jenkins, Snyder, Lee, Hall, Steveson, Lewis, Carr, Parris, O’Toole), 2 more have AA’d (Fix and Elam), 3 have yet to compete collegiately (Shapiro, Kueter, Mesenbrink), 2 have competed and qualified for NCAA’s but not AA’d yet (Volk and Amos). 

16 hours ago, Ban Basketball said:

If I had dime for every "next big thing" entering the college ranks from either freestyle, Greco,  or high school I'd be living the life of a lottery winner. 

I couldn't count the number of "next big thing" flops. 

Here's a list of the US's previous junior world champs from 2010-2020.

Kyle Snyder

Spencer Lee

Gable Steveson

Mark Hall

Daton Fix

Mekhi Lewis

David Carr

Mason Parris.

Alot of flops in there.

37 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Here's a list of the US's previous junior world champs from 2010-2020.

Kyle Snyder

Spencer Lee

Gable Steveson

Mark Hall

Daton Fix

Mekhi Lewis

David Carr

Mason Parris.

Alot of flops in there.

As I said,  I only follow UNI, so I wouldn't even know what a " junior world champ" is or means. 

The even larger list that I could compile is just purely based on " the next big thing" because they won yet some other kind of "world title."

Somehow it seems that there are endless " world championships. "

1 minute ago, Ban Basketball said:

As I said,  I only follow UNI, so I wouldn't even know what a " junior world champ" is or means. 

The even larger list that I could compile is just purely based on " the next big thing" because they won yet some other kind of "world title."

There is no such list.  You literally saw THE list. The ONLY lists. No busts. 

How would you know if you only follow UNI?

7 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

So when you said ‘if I had a dime for’ and ‘I can’t count how many’….. you had absolutely no basis whatsoever for those statements, you were just looking to argue about something. 

I don’t think that is surprising. 

6 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

There is no such list.  You literally saw THE list. The ONLY lists. No busts. 

How would you know if you only follow UNI?

The next big thing.  Seen a lot of trust hype over the years, with many living up to just about zero. 

1 minute ago, WrestlingRasta said:

So when you said ‘if I had a dime for’ and ‘I can’t count how many’….. you had absolutely no basis whatsoever for those statements, you were just looking to argue about something. 

I don’t think that is surprising. 

The next big thing/ highly hyped rasslers.

There's a BIG list from twenty year's time. 

• Haha 1