Terry Brands applied for the UNC Head Coach job?

Jimmy Cinnabon

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

RS/GS, enrolling kids in a community college at less than 12 credits.

Yeah that’s the one I already acknowledged they were skirting…

Do most of them take less than 12 credits? I thought part of the idea behind the community college thing was to help get them admitted to Cornell and I would think taking less than 12 wouldn’t really help that

2 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Not a lot different, but I'm pretty sure there were a ton of "greyshirts" training at Cornell.  I don't think you'd have that many elsewhere.

Yeah but IMO that’s more of an issue with their skirting of the Ivy redshirt rule not the RTC system

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I dug this up. It covers 2009 - 2022. if I update it to include 2023 then Iowa further separates itself from the non-PSU others.

image.thumb.png.dce2383e485061a0cf9eadcad668afb5.png

The line separating dark green from light green is the median placement (also see table below). The dots represent the individual years. The greens combined are the middle two quartiles. The whiskers are the lesser of 1.5x the inter-quartile range and the most extreme value.

image.png.64b183dc49ca6956c84fd2530a4ce6cf.png

And on that note, I bow out for the week (at least from posting data) as I soon board my flight to Belgrade.

I admit to being critical of Brands but that's a pretty tight placement band on the graph. He has coached 90 AAs (100 if you count the Covid year) and averages close to 6 AAs per season. Plus his teams don't lose to ISU, so that helps to keep him off of the hot seat.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

I admit to being critical of Brands but that's a pretty tight placement band on the graph. He has coached 90 AAs (100 if you count the Covid year) and averages close to 6 AAs per season. Plus his teams don't lose to ISU, so that helps to keep him off of the hot seat.

By any objective measure the Brands' are highly successful. It is only in a sport where dynasties are the norm that they get dinged for not being the current dynasty. It also hurts them that they coach at a former dynasty. If they produced these results at any school other than Iowa, Oklahoma State, or Penn State they would be revered.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

2 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

In the thick of Tier 1 ACC.  Shoot for the moon dude!

NC State and VTech have been just as successful as any program not named Iowa or Penn State the last fifteen years.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

2 hours ago, 11986 said:

Agree with what you’ve said here but pretty sure Terry was never on staff at Va Tech. 

You may be correct.  He may have left to join at Iowa.  It's been a bit.

42 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah that’s the one I already acknowledged they were skirting…

Do most of them take less than 12 credits? I thought part of the idea behind the community college thing was to help get them admitted to Cornell and I would think taking less than 12 wouldn’t really help that

More than twelve forfeits the ncaa gap year.

2 minutes ago, 11986 said:

I also may be off on recall but thought he left UTC for Olympic Training Center gig. 

He did... but we all know that was a sham until he could go be with his brother at Iowa.

• Haha 1

On 9/12/2023 at 12:30 PM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

May I suggest this young man for Terry's associate head coach?

Spencer Lee – University of Iowa Athletics

Random question - but why is it in wrestling that only the greatest wrestlers are expected to be good coaches? You certainly don't see this in other sports (nobody assumes Michael Jordan would be the best basketball coach) and, with all the administrative bs required of coaching, why is being great even an advantage over others unless you are the one rolling with the wrestlers / teaching technique on the mat? 

2 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

Random question - but why is it in wrestling that only the greatest wrestlers are expected to be good coaches? You certainly don't see this in other sports (nobody assumes Michael Jordan would be the best basketball coach) and, with all the administrative bs required of coaching, why is being great even an advantage over others unless you are the one rolling with the wrestlers / teaching technique on the mat? 

I assume it is that last part

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

By any objective measure the Brands' are highly successful. It is only in a sport where dynasties are the norm that they get dinged for not being the current dynasty. It also hurts them that they coach at a former dynasty. If they produced these results at any school other than Iowa, Oklahoma State, or Penn State they would be revered.

Pre-Cael, Penn Staters would have been stoked with 5 or 6AAs and top 5 team finishes each season.

2 hours ago, OMW said:

Pre-Cael, Penn Staters would have been stoked with 5 or 6AAs and top 5 team finishes each season.

Before Gary Kurdelmeier/Dan Gable Iowa would have also. They changed Iowa Wrestling.

• Fire 1

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

I dont understand the thought that Coach Koll was the wrong choice for UNC, you look at that placement chart from earlier in the thread, he had Cornell of all places as a top 3 program in the country, UNC finished 12th at NCAAs this year and you think the coach that made Cornell a top 3 program cant do any better than maintain?

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

It is both.  Koll loves his shades of grey.

Kurt Cobain Applause GIF

Edited by Ban Basketball

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!