Terry Brands applied for the UNC Head Coach job?

Jimmy Cinnabon

19 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Honestly, it is pretty crazy that Terry Brands, with all of his personal and coaching accolades, can't get a HC job.

That is a stupid statement.  Even for you.

• Fire 2

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

This actually does surprise me, but the point about Nelson graduating makes sense.  

I don't see any major program giving him a shot.  I think I'm stating the obvious here in saying this--he's a strong individual coach, but he's lacking in some key areas that are required for long-term success as the head of a program.  In order for him to be successful as a head coach, I think he'd need to rely heavily on an associate head coach that can fill those gaps, and I'm not sure who that guy is.  

I could see him going to a smaller program and having some success, at least on an individual basis with a handful of guys.  I just don't see him signing up for a pay cut, which is what that would be.  

4 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie said:

This actually does surprise me, but the point about Nelson graduating makes sense.  

I don't see any major program giving him a shot.  I think I'm stating the obvious here in saying this--he's a strong individual coach, but he's lacking in some key areas that are required for long-term success as the head of a program.  In order for him to be successful as a head coach, I think he'd need to rely heavily on an associate head coach that can fill those gaps, and I'm not sure who that guy is.  

I could see him going to a smaller program and having some success, at least on an individual basis with a handful of guys.  I just don't see him signing up for a pay cut, which is what that would be.  

May I suggest this young man for Terry's associate head coach?

Spencer Lee – University of Iowa Athletics

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, steamboat_charlie said:

If he is actually applying for jobs Terry Brands will be at or near the top of the list for any school that has an open position.

The interesting thing with regard to Spencer is (I believe) he signed with HWC through 2028.   If Terry leaves I doubt his contract with HWC would allow him to leave.  I am sure they would work something out (if Spencer even would want out) but Terry leaving could have a greater impact on the HWC than the Hawkeyes.   

Super interesting. Gotta give the job to Koll, though. A proven guy. What he did at Cornell was amazing.

Does anyone know who else applied/interviewed?

Where else would Terry Brands apply to coach at? Is he gonna throw his hat in the ring for the next Big 10 head coach opening? He was def not on my radar for potential head coach jobs.

59 minutes ago, Gus said:

If he is actually applying for jobs Terry Brands will be at or near the top of the list for any school that has an open position.

Any school? I don't think so.  He wasn't at the top of UNC's list, nor Stanford's, nor will he be for Princeton.  

Are we going to pretend he isn't who he is?  He's an attack dog. He's notoriously hot tempered. He's confrontational with officials, fans, and opposing wrestlers.  He hasn't been a head coach in 20 years.  The last time he was, he bailed after 3 seasons.  Some of his conduct you'd be surprised to see from a young coach in their 20's, let alone a guy in his mid 50's.  Are you imagining he's interviewing well--or do you think some AD's might be put off by the thousand yard stare?

I don't dislike the guy or anything.  He's entertaining as hell as a spectator.  He's just not head coach material.  

• Fire 3

7 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie said:

Any school? I don't think so.  He wasn't at the top of UNC's list, nor Stanford's, nor will he be for Princeton.  

Are we going to pretend he isn't who he is?  He's an attack dog. He's notoriously hot tempered. He's confrontational with officials, fans, and opposing wrestlers.  He hasn't been a head coach in 20 years.  The last time he was, he bailed after 3 seasons.  Some of his conduct you'd be surprised to see from a young coach in their 20's, let alone a guy in his mid 50's.  Are you imagining he's interviewing well--or do you think some AD's might be put off by the thousand yard stare?

I don't dislike the guy or anything.  He's entertaining as hell as a spectator.  He's just not head coach material.  

Also there's a similar reason why Mike Stoops is no longer a head coach and why his brother kept him in the box not down on the field.

45 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie said:

I'm an Iowa hater but don't you think it's a little unfair to assume Terry hasn't matured or evolved as a coach in the last 20 years?