Koll off to UNC

MPhillips

4 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Hotel Administration as a major isn’t weird IMO, but as an entire “school” kinda is.  It is a bit interesting for an Ivy to have it though, as pay in the hotel industry is notoriously crappy.

Hotel school students aren't studying to become servers and cleaning staff.  They are studying to be management.  They run the Statler Hotel on campus, and at least they used to run the many dining halls as well.  When I was there, the food at the dining halls was outstanding.

10 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

Hotel school students aren't studying to become servers and cleaning staff.  They are studying to be management.  They run the Statler Hotel on campus, and at least they used to run the many dining halls as well.  When I was there, the food at the dining halls was outstanding.

Yes, I know that.  My wife worked in the hotel industry for awhile including at a top-rated hotel in a mid-sized city.  The General Manager of the place barely made over $100k.

16 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

But why get a degree specifically in hotels vs just majoring in something more traditional, going to consulting, getting an MBA.  Surely that latter is viewed as a better path to managing any business, including hotels, than an entire degree focused on hotels?

17 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

But why get a degree specifically in hotels vs just majoring in something more traditional, going to consulting, getting an MBA.  Surely that latter is viewed as a better path to managing any business, including hotels, than an entire degree focused on hotels?

I'm guessing that the market has spoken, and there is a demand for the graduates of the Hotel school.

• Fire 1

10 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

i mean, it's an undergraduate degree. there are hospitality focused electives but most of the curriculum is general to any business career path. and, like i said, the hospitality industry is more than happy to throw money at the school to have them do focused research and training.

• Fire 1

13 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

The hotel industry is huge, and has differences to many other industries, so again I think a specific major (but not necessarily an entire "school") makes sense and could provide some value over a general business major.    But even if someone majoring in it doesn't work in hotels, maybe to your point what they learn is likely not THAT much different than general business majors, so they could still get a job in a different field despite majoring in Hotel Administration.

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, ugarles said:

i mean, it's an undergraduate degree. there are hospitality focused electives but most of the curriculum is general to any business career path. and, like i said, the hospitality industry is more than happy to throw money at the school to have them do focused research and training.

I wonder what research topics are applicable to the hotel industry.   I guess analyzing which costs are the most productive (i.e. profit maximizing), which markets are the most worth attending (depending upon one's preferences), and what closing, opening & checkout times are the most popular and profitable.   Mortgage rate research also comes to mind.   And if there's a restaurant included, well that's another niche with its own nuances (to put it lightly).   What am I missing (besides maybe at least one screw upstairs)?     Liability avoidance (or at least reduction) is also a likely field of interest.   Some maids have reported (alleged) transgressions by occupants and they sue sue sue...   

On 10/14/2023 at 5:04 AM, 1032004 said:

I just noticed every single Freshman and Sophomore on Stanford’s roster is listed as undeclared.  Is that normal there?

The coach roster is out of date. Ayres's Insta links to Prinecton. Ayres won't update sites himself and nobody's left. He told the assistants they don't deserve to work with a top coach like him. Nobody applied because they don't deserve the job in his own words, he tried to hire the assistants back, they walked out, Leeth is already on the job in Texas, that's how nobody's at Stanford to update sites. Maybe, Ayres links to Princeton because he's applying for his job back?

51 minutes ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

I wonder what research topics are applicable to the hotel industry.   I guess analyzing which costs are the most productive (i.e. profit maximizing), which markets are the most worth attending (depending upon one's preferences), and what closing, opening & checkout times are the most popular and profitable.   Mortgage rate research also comes to mind.   And if there's a restaurant included, well that's another niche with its own nuances (to put it lightly).   What am I missing (besides maybe at least one screw upstairs)?     Liability avoidance (or at least reduction) is also a likely field of interest.   Some maids have reported (alleged) transgressions by occupants and they sue sue sue...   

Educate yourself:  https://sha.cornell.edu/admissions-programs/undergraduate/

(note that the School of Hotel Management is one of three business schools in the SC Johnson College of Business)

1 hour ago, drwemitchellca said:

The coach roster is out of date. Ayres's Insta links to Prinecton. Ayres won't update sites himself and nobody's left. He told the assistants they don't deserve to work with a top coach like him. Nobody applied because they don't deserve the job in his own words, he tried to hire the assistants back, they walked out, Leeth is already on the job in Texas, that's how nobody's at Stanford to update sites. Maybe, Ayres links to Princeton because he's applying for his job back?

Wow!   I was unaware of that.   May Stanford's loss (Coach Leeth) be to Tarleton State's benefit.   

I don't see that information on this Stanford wrestling page, so you have really informed me.

Edited by TitleIX is ripe for reform

1 hour ago, BigRedFan said:

Educate yourself:  https://sha.cornell.edu/admissions-programs/undergraduate/

(note that the School of Hotel Management is one of three business schools in the SC Johnson College of Business)

Tourism's only the world's #1 industry, at least the last time I saw such rankings.   Hotel services are a fine niche in which to be.   There are hazards, but being vigilant helps.   

1 hour ago, drwemitchellca said:

Coaches don't update the sites. SIDs do that.

• Fire 1

16 hours ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

Tourism's only the world's #1 industry, at least the last time I saw such rankings.   Hotel services are a fine niche in which to be.   There are hazards, but being vigilant helps.   

War.  War is the world's #1 industry.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

That's an interesting point.   I hope you're wrong regarding it.   Democracies don't go to war with one another.  Or so the United Nations said before Russia's invasions of Ukraine.  Either way, wars seem wasteful compared to other endeavors.  But necessary at times, I guess.

Might you be surprised to see that in the US federal budget, defense only gets 14% of the national budget?     Other programs get more:

https://www.usaspending.gov/explorer/budget_function

26 minutes ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

That's an interesting point.   I hope you're wrong regarding it.   Democracies don't go to war with one another.  Or so the United Nations said before Russia's invasions of Ukraine.  Either way, wars seem wasteful compared to other endeavors.  But necessary at times, I guess.

Might you be surprised to see that in the US federal budget, defense only gets 14% of the national budget?     Other programs get more:

https://www.usaspending.gov/explorer/budget_function

Shouldn't Veteran Affairs also be considered part of the defense budget?  That puts it up to #1.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

There are other categories that seem to lean more towards Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security, such as Education & Social Services.   A seemingly growing quantity of school kids live with their grandparents, after all.   Some states directly subsidize such intergenerational residence-sharing.    So mainly in the interest of separating the categories where feasible, I personally don't think of Veteran's Affairs when thinking of national defense.   But your point's well taken.   

On 10/16/2023 at 10:34 AM, drwemitchellca said:

Maybe he is the second coach in a row to apply for the Stanford job, accept it, and only then look at the housing prices in Palo Alto. 

16 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

Maybe he is the second coach in a row to apply for the Stanford job, accept it, and only then look at the housing prices in Palo Alto. 

I know this is at least part sarcasm but I believe Ayres posted a video a few days after accepting the job from his new house (presumably a rental) basically saying how cool CA was.

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I know this is at least part sarcasm but I believe Ayres posted a video a few days after accepting the job from his new house (presumably a rental) basically saying how cool CA was.

It was tongue in cheek-we already saw from the Koll discussion that  most of the head athletic coaches get a generous stipend for housing.  Ayres is going to do a great job-probably not as well as Koll would have done, but it kind of reminds me of how VaTech went from Brands (for 1 year) to Dresser. 

52 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

It was tongue in cheek-we already saw from the Koll discussion that  most of the head athletic coaches get a generous stipend for housing.  Ayres is going to do a great job-probably not as well as Koll would have done, but it kind of reminds me of how VaTech went from Brands (for 1 year) to Dresser. 

I thought Koll specifically said he did not get any housing incentives from Stanford?