UNC

Dogbone

1 hour ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

Sprint freestyle and butterfly. He's really hard to beat at 50 in every stroke.

Rising junior. Lots of room to improve - he just finished his first year of club swimming, and he's still never been in the pool more than four practices a week. He'll probably swim D2 or D3 - he could swim low D1, but we're more focused on finding a school that's the right size, environment, and offers his potential majors, and some of these low D1 schools have no business playing D1 sports. (Many are smaller than his high school.)

I should say, recruiting in swimming is absolutely cutthroat. The whole goal is to recruit over the top of your roster - in a sport of early bloomers, that's pretty easy to do. Makes me more impressed by how Cael is able to keep things so copasetic (at least, on the surface) with his kids at PSU.

Thank you for sharing. I always envied the sprinters like your son. Best of luck to him. 

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 hour ago, flyingcement said:

As other openings pop up, he should be a strong consideration, depending on the school.  I also would like to see him land a head job.

Stanford job just opened up.

• Fire 3

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

For what it’s worth, Ramos is going to be staying with the UNC staff (for now). Learning from a coach on the mat (Coleman) and now getting to learn from a CEO (Koll) may end up being the best thing to ever happen to him in the long run. He’s going to see the best of both worlds and get to apply unique aspects of each style to create his own way of coaching.

On another note, here’s Koll’s first presser at UNC for anyone interested. He discusses being the CEO type coach of a program. I was pretty interested in his take on program building and especially recruiting. A good quote from him is “if you have 3 things to do, 2.5 of them are always recruiting.” I cannot wait to see what he does with recruiting at UNC. I’m also thankful we have an AD and Chancellor so invested in all athletic programs. I was surprised to hear our AD cold called Rob about the position… That tells me that UNC knew who they wanted immediately. Lots of interesting tidbits from how this all transpired.

Link: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CwnyV2CNMsL/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Edited by goheels1812
  • Fire 4

11 hours ago, goheels1812 said:

For what it’s worth, Ramos is going to be staying with the UNC staff (for now). Learning from a coach on the mat (Coleman) and now getting to learn from a CEO (Koll) may end up being the best thing to ever happen to him in the long run. He’s going to see the best of both worlds and get to apply unique aspects of each style to create his own way of coaching.

On another note, here’s Koll’s first presser at UNC for anyone interested. He discusses being the CEO type coach of a program. I was pretty interested in his take on program building and especially recruiting. A good quote from him is “if you have 3 things to do, 2.5 of them are always recruiting.” I cannot wait to see what he does with recruiting at UNC. I’m also thankful we have an AD and Chancellor so invested in all athletic programs. I was surprised to hear our AD cold called Rob about the position… That tells me that UNC knew who they wanted immediately. Lots of interesting tidbits from how this all transpired.

Link: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CwnyV2CNMsL/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Yep Ramos staying..... creates an interesting situation. On one hand it does provide a great opportunity for him to continue to hone his skills as a future head coach. On the other hand, he has kind of stuck with not a lot of other options being August right before school starts when this happens. I think it will work out. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

21 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

On the one hand, all those Cornell commits probably feel shafted, and portal notwithstanding they aren’t going to get into an equivalent school.

On the other hand, Koll got them into Stanford…

On the third hand.... will they keep following to UNC?

image.png.8fc8de60a7e664eaf59d581fff7bbf50.png

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Idaho said:

Yep Ramos staying..... creates an interesting situation. On one hand it does provide a great opportunity for him to continue to hone his skills as a future head coach. On the other hand, he has kind of stuck with not a lot of other options being August right before school starts when this happens. I think it will work out. 

Of course he’s going to say he’s staying now.   Maybe it’s the truth, maybe not, we don’t really know. He probably stays at least for this year but I could certainly see him explore his options next year or even a couple years.  I do imagine Koll will likely be honest with how long he plans to stick around.

I did say in a different thread that Koll is probably one guy he shouldn’t be too mad about if he gets the job, and maybe he does stick around for awhile, but understand if he may feel a bit slighted too.

• Fire 1

23 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Of course he’s going to say he’s staying now.   Maybe it’s the truth, maybe not, we don’t really know. He probably stays at least for this year but I could certainly see him explore his options next year or even a couple years.  I do imagine Koll will likely be honest with how long he plans to stick around.

I did say in a different thread that Koll is probably one guy he shouldn’t be too mad about if he gets the job, and maybe he does stick around for awhile, but understand if he may feel a bit slighted too.

While we don't know what was said behind closed doors, we do know that publicly UNC never wavered from him being the interim while they actively search.

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

While we don't know what was said behind closed doors, we do know that publicly UNC never wavered from him being the interim while they actively search.

I mean that’s not saying much.  From Scott stepping down to Koll being announced was exactly 2 weeks, and seems like maybe at most a week between Scott stepping down and Koll being offered it.

23 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I mean that’s not saying much.  From Scott stepping down to Koll being announced was exactly 2 weeks, and seems like maybe at most a week between Scott stepping down and Koll being offered it.

It doesn't matter if it says much to or for me.  Plausible deniability for UNC goes a long way.

22 hours ago, 1032004 said:

You pretty much covered every scenario .... he might stay he might not.  He might leave next year....maybe in a couple years... He might like working with Koll and he might be slighted...

17 hours ago, nhs67 said:

It doesn't matter if it says much to or for me.  Plausible deniability for UNC goes a long way.

Wondering if UNC made a condition that whoever they hired, Ramos was staying.  Seems from the outside UNC covered their bases and it appears had honest conversations with Ramos. Hard to pass up on Koll and his resume. 

• Fire 1

16 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Wondering if UNC made a condition that whoever they hired, Ramos was staying.  Seems from the outside UNC covered their bases and it appears had honest conversations with Ramos. Hard to pass up on Koll and his resume. 

Koll wanted to hire Ramos as his assistant at Stanford. It was a tough situation obviously with Galli at the time having his $ in both programs. Taking Ramos from UNC and having him be the assistant at Stanford wouldn't have looked good. 

• Fire 1

48 minutes ago, Corby said:

Koll wanted to hire Ramos as his assistant at Stanford. It was a tough situation obviously with Galli at the time having his $ in both programs. Taking Ramos from UNC and having him be the assistant at Stanford wouldn't have looked good. 

Probably the best move at the time. If someone else would have been hired (not Koll) was UNC's  condition  of hiring to keep Ramos on staff?  Seems like they were committed to him no matter the HC hire. Of course, there may have not been talks with anyone else.  

3 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Probably the best move at the time. If someone else would have been hired (not Koll) was UNC's  condition  of hiring to keep Ramos on staff?  Seems like they were committed to him no matter the HC hire. Of course, there may have not been talks with anyone else.  

Ramos would've been the coach if Rob didn't come is my opinion 

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Idaho said:

You pretty much covered every scenario .... he might stay he might not.  He might leave next year....maybe in a couple years... He might like working with Koll and he might be slighted...

Darlin' you got to let me know
Should I stay or should I go?
If you say that you are mine
I'll be here 'til the end of time
So you got to let me know

It's always tease tease tease
You're happy when I'm on my knees
One day is fine and next is black
So if you want me off your back
Well come on and let me know

😏

D3

• Fire 1

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

2 hours ago, D3 for LU said:

Darlin' you got to let me know
If you say that you are mine
I'll be here 'til the end of time
So you got to let me know

It's always tease tease tease
You're happy when I'm on my knees
One day is fine and next is black
So if you want me off your back
Well come on and let me know

😏

D3

Skated to this cassette til the sun went down over the abandoned gas station.