Top Programs... that are gone

AgaveMaria

Kentucky's Rick Dellagatta had some epic battles with Iowa's Randy Lewis. 

… and is the third person involved in the 1984 controversy with the Olympic team who often doesn’t get mentioned. I met him for the first time a few years ago down in Texas … where he was WITH Randy Lewis.
  • Fire 1

Insert catchy tagline here. 

4 minutes ago, Jason Bryant said:

… and is the third person involved in the 1984 controversy with the Olympic team who often doesn’t get mentioned. I met him for the first time a few years ago down in Texas … where he was WITH Randy Lewis.

Sorry to have to ask,  but what was the controversy? I'm curious to know. 

• Fire 1

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

1 minute ago, ionel said:

Thought The Deuce said his goodbyes over an hour ago, what happened?  I'm curious. 

Name calling violation, ma'am.

Hang in there; you'll get your culture cancelling in due time..  I'm guessing Bob's not read my reply to him yet. I'll be gone (again) once he does. 

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

2 hours ago, 11986 said:

Didn’t Dellagatta beat Sergei Beloglazov at some point? 

Dual at Atlantic City, as I recall. The next week or so at World Cup, Sergei teched him. Ricky was very dangerous especially from a scrambling point of view. The two got into what appeared to be more of a folkstyle match (rolling around).

• Fire 2

4 hours ago, Ban Basketball said:

Sorry to have to ask,  but what was the controversy? I'm curious to know. 

Randy Lewis made the final best of 3 against Lee Roy Smith. Randy won the first match, lost the second and got injured and defaulted the 3rd. Lewis protested the scoring in the 2nd match. It ended up going to binding arbitration where Dan Gable who was the 84 Olympic coach got subpoenaed to testify. Binding arbitration ruled in Lewis's favor and part of the 2nd match was re-wrestled and Lewis won and went on to win the gold medal in the Olympics. Lee Roy, John, etc. have basically held a grudge against Gable because they felt he showed favoritism towards Lewis. 

• Fire 2

3 hours ago, Tripnsweep said:

Randy Lewis made the final best of 3 against Lee Roy Smith. Randy won the first match, lost the second and got injured and defaulted the 3rd. Lewis protested the scoring in the 2nd match. It ended up going to binding arbitration where Dan Gable who was the 84 Olympic coach got subpoenaed to testify. Binding arbitration ruled in Lewis's favor and part of the 2nd match was re-wrestled and Lewis won and went on to win the gold medal in the Olympics. Lee Roy, John, etc. have basically held a grudge against Gable because they felt he showed favoritism towards Lewis. 

Thanks!

9 hours ago, Jason Bryant said:

I saw them together in Texas as well. Randy didn't have as much hair and Rick was nice enough to remind him of it lol 

16 hours ago, Ban Basketball said:

Name calling violation, ma'am.

Hang in there; you'll get your culture cancelling in due time..  I'm guessing Bob's not read my reply to him yet. I'll be gone (again) once he does. 

why do you keep calling people 'ma'am' ? 

you're 5 seconds away from being booted for being a board nuisance and a general displeasure.

but what else is new? 

• Fire 1

TBD

1 hour ago, Husker_Du said:

why do you keep calling people 'ma'am' ? 

you're 5 seconds away from being booted for being a board nuisance and a general displeasure.

but what else is new? 

Ironic coming from a name caller, eh, friends?  Gee, like the ban wasn't going to happen anyway. 

Pull the switch.  I couldn't care any less. I just request to PULL IT.  No Zoo or anything.  I'll happily enjoy no access at all. 

Git on it, boy!

• 1 month later...

I feel grateful every year that UNC, Duke and NC State don't join Clemson, Ga. Tech. and the SEC of yesteryear by eliminating their NCAA D1 wrestling programs in the South.   Hopefully Coach Koll can manage to make winners out of folks from the South (especially North Carolina).   That could significantly boost our sport's return further South, couldn't it?   

Encouragingly enough, NC State fairly recently had an NCAA champion who is apparently from North Carolina.    

• Fire 1

On 8/28/2023 at 7:07 AM, Ban Basketball said:

Ironic coming from a name caller, eh, friends?  Gee, like the ban wasn't going to happen anyway. 

Pull the switch.  I couldn't care any less. I just request to PULL IT.  No Zoo or anything.  I'll happily enjoy no access at all. 

Git on it, boy!

Why do you get off on playing the victim? 

Just now, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Why do you get off on playing the victim? 

That was nearly two months ago.  Not relevant to today,  oh timely one. 

WOWZA! Someone done did just get out of jail.