Budapest Ranking Tournament

A challenge-fest on Mat B... between McKenna & Yazdanicherati...

tied 8-8 w/ criteria to Mc Kenna... challenge lost , McK gets another point w/ 2 sec. to go

D3

Edited by D3 for LU

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

The Iranian had a bad case of sour grapes at the end... he figured he had the match in the bag.

McKenna's persistence paid off big time.

D3

• Fire 1

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

1 minute ago, MPhillips said:

Parrish loses 13-2.

Wow... get the license of that truck that hit her!

(Sorry to here about that loss.)

D3 

4 hours ago, Dark Energy said:

Vito loses 2-0?  Surprising score.  He has been prone to give up points.  And is known for scoring them.  Will be curious to see this one.

I will say that he has improved his defense in past year it seems.  Nahshon matches are a counterpoint to that.  Still, only giving up 2 to a defending 57kg world champ is a good thing.  Will be curious to see if Vito was on the attack.

Opponent took <checks notes> zero shots.  Vito got to his legs once, and attempted attacks continuously.  Vito hit with two passivity calls.  Go figure.

3 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

Opponent took <checks notes> zero shots.  Vito got to his legs once, and attempted attacks continuously.  Vito hit with two passivity calls.  Go figure.

International refs consider mat control when it comes to activity clock violations.  They have done this for years while the US does whatever TF they want to do.

I am not excusing it or faulting Arujau (or his coaching/prep).  I wish the refs here would just simply ref the same way.  I believe Arujau will still medal at the very worst come Worlds.  He beats that guy next time and doesn't leave it to the clock.

• Fire 3

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

9 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

International refs consider mat control when it comes to activity clock violations.  They have done this for years while the US does whatever TF they want to do.

I am not excusing it or faulting Arujau (or his coaching/prep).  I wish the refs here would just simply ref the same way.  I believe Arujau will still medal at the very worst come Worlds.  He beats that guy next time and doesn't leave it to the clock.

Hear, hear!

D3

1 minute ago, Grecojones said:

Where are you guys watching this? On flow all i have is matt b and c

You can scan back on those two feeds to see those matches that already occurred.

D3

15 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Absurd statement when the defending silver medalist at the weight is from the US and the guy who beat him took silver at a ranking tournament.

You of all people know that statistically speaking last year was the outlier rather than the norm. Without even going all the way back to the previous medal, let's just look at how the US has done the previous two quads:

2016 Molinaro qualifies weight at olympic last chance, 2-2 made it to the bronze match but lost

2017 Retherford 1-1

2018 Stieber 0-1

2019 Retherford 0-1

2020ne Olympics weight not qualified

2021 worlds Yianni 1-1 (post olympics where no olympic medalists competed and the Russian backup won the tournament)

2022 Yianni 4-1 silver (no Russia)

So over seven world/olympics including one heavily diluted tourney, the US record is 8-6 with 50% of wins in one tournament and 75% from two tournaments six years apart. 65kg has been and remains the weakest weight in the US and the statement is accurate, not absurd.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

17 minutes ago, mspart said:

So 3 golds, 2 silvers, and 3 bronzes for MFS.    Again, that is a pretty good showing!

mspart

I don't think it really is at a ranking series tournament like this...

How many returning Worlds medalists were in the entire field, not including the USA?  Less than ten?

• Fire 2

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

49 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

You of all people know that statistically speaking last year was the outlier rather than the norm. Without even going all the way back to the previous medal, let's just look at how the US has done the previous two quads:

2016 Molinaro qualifies weight at olympic last chance, 2-2 made it to the bronze match but lost

2017 Retherford 1-1

2018 Stieber 0-1

2019 Retherford 0-1

2020ne Olympics weight not qualified

2021 worlds Yianni 1-1 (post olympics where no olympic medalists competed and the Russian backup won the tournament)

2022 Yianni 4-1 silver (no Russia)

So over seven world/olympics including one heavily diluted tourney, the US record is 8-6 with 50% of wins in one tournament and 75% from two tournaments six years apart. 65kg has been and remains the weakest weight in the US and the statement is accurate, not absurd.

The history lesson, while interesting, is not what his statement, nor my reply, was about. He used the words "right now". I disagree with that sentiment. What happened from 2016 to 2021 does not change my opinion. The fact remains that the US has the defending world silver medalist at 65. 

Your qualifier that 65 is the weakest weight in the US is also not what his statement, nor my reply, was about. When you have silver or better at 8 of 10 weights (and 5 of 6 Olympic weights), then sure a weight with a silver medalist can be considered relatively weak, but that does not make it weak in the absolute.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge