Would AJ Ferrari be the defending 2x NCAA champion if he went to PSU?

Theo Brixton

18 minutes ago, Theo Brixton said:

You are taking this far more seriously than I am, bro. Of course it's a ridiculous take. But if you thought about it for even a little bit, you would see there is an element of truth to it. If you can't see that, there's definitely an idiot posting here...

Not assuming that at all. I think Cael could manage this better than John Smith. Albert Sr. would have no delusions that he's the alpha male in this relationship. This is a key element contributing to the dysfunction of all Ferrari-human interactions.

Cael could have clipped Ferrari's wings in a way that no one else could thereby perhaps altering the course of young AJ's life for the better. Cael has never kicked good NCAA points off the team unless there were criminal charges. Does Ed Ruth ring a (Taco) bell? 

AJ would represent one of the few instances where this would undoubtedly be warranted. And it could have benefited him immensely. The more Ferrari is humbled in the room, the less of a criminal he acts outside of it. 

Probably true. Cael can't fix everything.

Absolutely. 

You do understand he’s just transfer right

3 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I think he was making fun of the original question by reversing the premise to show the absurdity

Yes - and I was further making fun of it by asking how many titles PSU would have had with him (less - I should have added "lost" to my original)...but my second question is more of a real question - what coach could handle that guy?

Edited by Idaho

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

7 minutes ago, Idaho said:

but my second question is more of a real question - what coach could handle that guy?

This is the point of the original post. I contend Cael is the only coach with any chance of managing Ferrari(s). Cael obviously doesn't need AJ but prior to his winning the NCAA's, he didn't come across as that much more obnoxious than Starocci and there isn't any evidence (that I'm aware of) that he veered into criminal behavior before then.

1 hour ago, ionel said:

ahh ... remind us again how well J did in managing the drug cartel.  🙄

Yeah he didn't do a very job with that. He didn't get a single "made for TV offer" or book deal. It is odd to think people were talking about the fearless Gopher Cartel.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Theo Brixton said:

This is the point of the original post. I contend Cael is the only coach with any chance of managing Ferrari(s). Cael obviously doesn't need AJ but prior to his winning the NCAA's, he didn't come across as that much more obnoxious than Starocci and there isn't any evidence (that I'm aware of) that he veered into criminal behavior before then.

The only thing I see Cael might've done is kick him out sooner but given what we know most would've done that.  If you don't know what they were doing then hard to speculate someone else would do better.  Any idea what it took to "manage" the Mocco's, there were 3 of them?  Also, coaches really can't "manage" athletes like they use to.  There are several recent football cases where it looks more like the athlete "managing" the head coach.  NIL brings all to another level.  

18 minutes ago, ionel said:

The only thing I see Cael might've done is kick him out sooner but given what we know most would've done that.  If you don't know what they were doing then hard to speculate someone else would do better.  Any idea what it took to "manage" the Mocco's, there were 3 of them?  Also, coaches really can't "manage" athletes like they use to.  There are several recent football cases where it looks more like the athlete "managing" the head coach.  NIL brings all to another level.  

I think AJ needed and would benefit from some tough love. And I think Cael was the only one capable of doling it out. I think it's plausible constant drubbings in the room might have kept his ego in check. That's the working hypothesis at least and will forever remain a though experiment.

Edited by Theo Brixton

55 minutes ago, TexRef said:

Did he win? 

yes, in 2016. Ironically only three wrestlers have won a 125 title since the last time PSU won a 125 title, but everyone thinks they cannot figure out that weight. It is just that they are like the field at the weight.

No one talks about 141, but until Nick Lee, PSU had never had a champ at 141.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing
  • Fire 2

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

9 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

yes, in 2016. Ironically only three wrestlers have won a 125 title since the last time PSU won a 125 title, but everyone thinks they cannot figure out that weight. It is just that they are like the field at the weight.

No one talks about 141, but until Nick Lee, PSU had never had a champ at 141.

Depending on your definition of “the field,” they are probably worse than the field at 125 since Suriano.  

But to be fair, most of that is driven by the 3 years they expected to have Suriano - 2018, 2019, 2020.   Howard was 2-2 at NCAA’s in 2021 and Hildebrandt 1-2 last year, probably about equivalent to “the field.”  But not looking good for this year.

As far as Ferrari goes, I’d agree with the post saying Cael probably would have been sick of him sooner than Smith.  He seems to stay away from guys with character issues or whatever you wanna call it to begin with, and doesn’t seem to have great results turning around the ones that do (although I’m not sure anyone does).

15 minutes ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

I don't think so.  149 NAIA champion.

Long wasn't an NAIA national champion. He won Midlands at 141, wrestled the season at 149 and was reportedly booted from Grand View for violating the terms of his agreement with the coaches prior to the postseason. Grand View set an NAIA scoring record at that tournament without Long. 

• Fire 1

Insert catchy tagline here.