Team Mexico

peanut

It would be fantastic for the sport for Mexico to develop a real team, even if they are all imports to start.  

And in this day and age, take the route available to you.  If Zahid goes 86 in Mexico, and finds a way into the olympics, he could be a threat to medal. That only does great things for US wrestling as well, and helps show the strength of different programs.

Think about what a big deal it is for Bormet to have Amine’s bronze to the michigan program’s name.

More medals attributed to OTC’s, I’m all for it.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, d3grappler said:

I didn't think Zahid would be eligible to wrestle for Mexico anymore?

Not for 2024.  It's something like two (2) calendar years since competing for USAW I thought?

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Well, then he is thinking next year will be his year!!    Good for him, and best of luck to him.   I don't think it ever matters the when, there are always hammers out there ready to pound on you.   You just have to be the bigger hammer. 

mspart

1 hour ago, mspart said:

Well, then he is thinking next year will be his year!!    Good for him, and best of luck to him.   I don't think it ever matters the when, there are always hammers out there ready to pound on you.   You just have to be the bigger hammer. 

mspart

Dr. Horrible anyone? Captain Hammer, and the hammer is... nevermind. It's a silly sing-a-long blog you wouldn't understand.

Captain Hammer - Doctor Horrible - Nathan Fillion - Whedon ...

i am an idiot on the internet

On 6/17/2023 at 9:25 AM, BuckyBadger said:

Agreed, and I understand it. It’s just that usually you don’t see it happen with a guy of his pedigree. 

IMO international wrestling is a stepping stone for RBY, not a destination. He's taking the path of least resistance to up his stock and start his MMA career with the label "Olympian" next to his name. Or so he hopes. 

• Fire 2

2 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

IMO international wrestling is a stepping stone for RBY, not a destination. He's taking the path of least resistance to up his stock and start his MMA career with the label "Olympian" next to his name. Or so he hopes. 

Maybe his ultimate goal is MMA, but I wouldn’t discount his goal of Olympic gold. And it would not surprise me to see him contend if he dedicates himself to freestyle. 

7 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

It would be pretty wild if RBY doesn't qualify the weight for MX. Assuming he's more likely a 65er than 57, even Pan Ams could be tough with Vito/Nick Lee/Yianni, Rivera, Valdes Tobier, Destribats...

Austin Gomez is the 65 KG guy for Mexico.  RBY is going 57 KG.

• Fire 1

19 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Austin Gomez is the 65 KG guy for Mexico.  RBY is going 57 KG.

Thanks for this. I misread his UFC grappling announcement and thought he was going at Featherweight, not Flyweight next week. So I thought he was moving up for freestyle rather than cutting.

12 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Thanks for this. I misread his UFC grappling announcement and thought he was going at Featherweight, not Flyweight next week. So I thought he was moving up for freestyle rather than cutting.

I do think his grappling one was supposed to be at Featherweight, though?  You're right there, I think.

On 6/17/2023 at 12:13 PM, Tripnsweep said:

Making the US team is a grind. Not that RBY is afraid of that, but for him with high aspirations, why beat your body up for a possible world championships or Olympics, when you can focus on training for the rest of the world, not just getting through a grueling trials process.

Spitballing here, but maybe most wrestlers want to be known as a United States medalist?

8 hours ago, scribers said:

I was always urging BIG to tryout for worlds with Mexico. This was 15 years ago.

I am an innovator.

Larry Langowski did and got a trip to Beijing for it. Also wasn't BIG Russian? Doubt he could prove a family connection to Mexico to get a passport. 

4 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

I’m sorry, I might have missed something who is BIG?

His name was Eugene Bachemesky or something very Russian. He died a few years ago. He got permanently banned from posting on the old forums. I remember him posting a lot, mainly complaining that his parents moved to the US from Russia and he didn't like it here. He wrestled briefly for Rutgers and some other colleges. He wasn't a superstar or anything. I just remembered stumbling across some old results from the Sunkist Open or NYAC and wondered what he had been up to. Turns out he died. 

• Fire 1

47 minutes ago, Tripnsweep said:

His name was Eugene Bachemesky or something very Russian. He died a few years ago. He got permanently banned from posting on the old forums. I remember him posting a lot, mainly complaining that his parents moved to the US from Russia and he didn't like it here. He wrestled briefly for Rutgers and some other colleges. He wasn't a superstar or anything. I just remembered stumbling across some old results from the Sunkist Open or NYAC and wondered what he had been up to. Turns out he died. 

Yevgeniy Bashmachenko

Did become BIG literally and figuratively but believe it or not I remember him from the Prep Tournament. He wrestled for Poly Prep in 1994. Took 7th at 140! (pounds not kilos)

• Fire 1

He started at Penn State and wouldn't stop eating. Might have finished at HWT at Rutgers. Keep wrestling at NYAC while he was posting to the forums as BIG. I'd have to see his obituary to be convinced he is dead.

Kind of a morbid request - he wasn’t exactly a nice guy - esp. to the female posters on TWT back in the day, but here’s the link

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/yevgeniy-bashmachenko-obituary?pid=172173028
  • Fire 1

Insert catchy tagline here. 

I hadn't heard that BIG died. That's too bad.

Didn't he have some sort oof drunken street brawl in Vegas or LA? Maybe I am mixing up old posters.

Anyway, let's ship to Mexico good dudes who are not able to make the U.S. team. That would be a great get for rassling on the continent.

Also, someone above said something about winning a medal in a U.S. singlet being a possible priority. My guess would be winning a medal is the priority, and what singlet you are wearing as it happens is far less important.