Smokers (Meat)

Husker_Du

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

The horizontal axis is time. The vertical axis is temp. The green line is ambient temp. The purple line is internal temp of the chicken. Used a Meater+ probe and the app to get that.

altitude, humidity, spin drift ... ?  

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

The horizontal axis is time. The vertical axis is temp. The green line is ambient temp. The purple line is internal temp of the chicken. Used a Meater+ probe and the app to get that.

Took me a minute to figure those huge variances in temp, I’m assuming that’s when you open to baste?  Sorry if seems stupid, just never seen something like that. 

I'm sooprised that my culture isn't tediously cancelled again,  so before I am permenantly cancelled,  I have a question.  If I've burnt all of my bridges and no one wants to help,  then maybe toughen up a little bit and don't let disagreements hurt you so much. 

Here goes.  How long does the chuck roast take to smoke? Going to try it tomorrow. 

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

3 minutes ago, mspart said:

I never did one of those Ban.   But even the steaks I smoked that I left in too long weren't bad, just a little tough but good on flavor.   Never had a bad piece of smoked meat and I guess I've tried hard enough.

mspart

True. I did overcook some beef kabobs last weekend though that bordered on inedible. 

Edited by Ban Basketball

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

14 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

I'm sooprised that my culture isn't tediously cancelled again,  so before I am permenantly cancelled,  I have a question.  If I've burnt all of my bridges and no one wants to help,  then maybe toughen up a little bit and don't let disagreements hurt you so much. 

Here goes.  How long does the chuck roast take to smoke? Going to try it tomorrow. 

It usually takes around 5 hours.

• Fire 1

45 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

It’s not about time, every cut and every cook is a little different. It’s about internal temp.  To get there depends on how big and thick the cut is. 

And please, can you leave the nonsense to the other threads. 

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

Agreed @WrestlingRasta on both statements.  I did a chuck roast and it took longer than expected and wasn't quite as fall apart as I thought/hoped it would be.  Not sure I would do another one.

Pork Butt going on Sunday a.m. for all the wrestling coaches who are coming over...can't wait!

Give chuck another chance. Maybe not a great cut or something got slightly goofed up... I have done dozen and they are super tasty.

• Fire 1

10 minutes ago, Gus said:

Give chuck another chance. Maybe not a great cut or something got slightly goofed up... I have done dozen and they are super tasty.

I ditto this.  

If you keep it a low temp (220 max) you're going to be okay, it's nice meat you can do a lot of things with.  Smoking at 250 or so you're going to be at a big risk of losing it.   Resting time is a big deal as well with all the fattines in a chuck.  Resting is underestimated a good bit.

I read that more fat equals more flavor and less fat equals more tender.  I go for choice or better.  Certified Angus is supposed to be between choice and prime.  I usually search for the cut that is choice but close to prime.  The last brisket took eleven hours the one before took fifteen and they weighed within two ounces of each other.  

I'll save the hassle if not,  but if anyone is interested in me posting pics of my Traeger chuck roasts today I will. 

Yes, plural,  as I'm smoking/grilling enough for leftovers for the week.