Smokers (Meat)

Husker_Du

51 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

IMG_5289.thumb.jpeg.7923a5401e022b4fc9330808a7629d70.jpeg

pork tenderloin

Just curious: are you in the BBQ bidness of some sort? You grill and smoke more than anyone I've ever known. 

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

I've done it before and I've not done it before, but I'm opting today to do no foil wrapping for my ribs.  If that's a bad move at all, someone let me know.  In the past they turned out great.

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

Been in three hours and they're looking great.  Spritzing with apple juice, and I always keep a pan of water in the smoker/grill, for added moisture.

I was, and almost always have been, disappointed with my Traeger.

Results not worth sharing.

I do apologize.

Edited by Ban Basketball

On 8/31/2023 at 8:21 AM, Ban Basketball said:

Anyone do pork ribs just straight up,  with no wrapping or 3-2-1 method? Been a while for me, but I'm going to this weekend. 

The point of the wrap is to decrease the 'stall' - and also to keep the meat from drying out. It does work well, but it's just one method.

If you've got the time to wait out the stall, and are judicious about keeping the meat moist, there are other methods that work well that won't leave you with burnt ribs. But they have their own nuances. Which is why the 3-2-1, 2-2-1, 2-1-1, etc. methods with wrapping have become so popular. They're easy and relatively consistent.

Nothing worse than spending hours on the BBQ to end up with burnt up meat. I've been there more than I'd like to.

6 hours ago, Ban Basketball said:

Been in three hours and they're looking great.  Spritzing with apple juice, and I always keep a pan of water in the smoker/grill, for added moisture.

On a Traeger, if you spritz you don't need a pan of water. The pan of water adds to the amount of mass that needs to be heated in the chamber, thus affecting the cook. A regular spritz will be more than adequate for keeping the meat from drying out.

On 9/1/2023 at 6:56 AM, WrestlingRasta said:

Get a little crazy this morning after being cooped up in the house.  So in honor of 45, we’re gonna smoke Stormy Daniels’ vagina…

That is crazy stuff. Had to search the internet to figure out your post. 

It is nuts that Stormy is pointing out 45's little mushroom based on actual experience. Just so weird.

Stormy-Daniels-picked-out-a-mushroom-she

1 hour ago, Gus said:

I don’t wrap my ribs and usually don’t wrap my pork butts and they come out great. 

When I buy thicker, fattier ribs, I don't wrap them at all. The fat in the meat will basically 'baste' the meat while it cooks. Releasing moisture in the process. No need to wrap, the moisture from the fat keeps the meat from drying out.

I've never wrapped a pork butt. So much fat and connective tissue there to breakdown, I've found it best to leave it cooking without opening the lid from start to finish. As they say, If you are lookin' it isn't cookin'

10 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

When I buy thicker, fattier ribs, I don't wrap them at all. The fat in the meat will basically 'baste' the meat while it cooks. Releasing moisture in the process. No need to wrap, the moisture from the fat keeps the meat from drying out.

I've never wrapped a pork butt. So much fat and connective tissue there to breakdown, I've found it best to leave it cooking without opening the lid from start to finish. As they say, If you are lookin' it isn't cookin'

Agreed. And the bark is significantly better. 

• Fire 1

Yes,  my main frustration last night was just how freaking LONG a low and slow cook on a Traeger takes! I've never seen anything like it. 

Anything I cook at 225 takes hours upon hours.  Two racks of St. Louis ribs took 7 1/2 hours,  and that was finally turning it up to 350 for the last hour,  just to end it! 

Just not fully sold on this Traeger.

Minor annoyance when the pellet hopper runs empty and kills the cook.

Major annoyance on a super cold winter day that kills the flame and the auger feeds a bunch of pellets into the hopper to try to get back to temp forcing you to tear everything down to clean it out before restarting.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Ban Basketball said:

Yes,  my main frustration last night was just how freaking LONG a low and slow cook on a Traeger takes! I've never seen anything like it. 

Anything I cook at 225 takes hours upon hours.  Two racks of St. Louis ribs took 7 1/2 hours,  and that was finally turning it up to 350 for the last hour,  just to end it! 

Just not fully sold on this Traeger.

Never used a Traeger.  Do you have to tend to it while it is cooking?

12 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Never used a Traeger.  Do you have to tend to it while it is cooking?

Not much, but as Headshuck said,  you have to mind the pellet hopper. If it runs down,  it kills all of the heat. 

Other than that,  they're pretty easy.  Temperature stays consistent too.

• Fire 1