Ref calls - debate and transparency

Reffing is hard.  Really is.  I give credit to those that do it at all levels.  Part of what makes it hard is the judgement calls.  If not certain but need to make a call one way or other - that is stressful.  The more certain of ref, less stress.  But if coaches and crowds are uncertain or disagree - more stress again.

I would like USA wrestling, and even UWW - to have public clinics where ref calls, that seem controversial but were right, were highlighted and discussed.  Go into detail on the rule.  Show the video.  Highlight the position and the rule.  

Get coaches and fans better educated.

Note, I didn’t suggest highlighting the wrong calls.  Although that would be very transparent and the very best way to learn for all.  I don’t see how this would occur though.  Too much anger and finger pointing would occur.

Instead, focus on the calls that got it right and explain.

Edited by Dark Energy
  • Fire 1

someone suggested in another thread that they explain every call that is reviewed

i dont know about during match...but at least after, in press conference.. something...

its almost like the old days of international and cary kolat

they talked about it.. you lose. 

20 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

someone suggested in another thread that they explain every call that is reviewed

i dont know about during match...but at least after, in press conference.. something...

its almost like the old days of international and cary kolat

they talked about it.. you lose. 

In the arena it was a different experience. @Jason Bryant did an excellent job explaining what was challenged. And the refs gave clear explanations over the PA of the results of a challenge.

They also put on the jumbotron what was being reviewed by the refs. For example, there was a different view of the Nick Lee / Yianni Diakomihalis action at the end of match 2 on the jumbotron. When they showed it in the arena there was a loud concensus for two.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

On 6/11/2023 at 10:19 PM, Wrestleknownothing said:

In the arena it was a different experience. @Jason Bryant did an excellent job explaining what was challenged. And the refs gave clear explanations over the PA of the results of a challenge.

They also put on the jumbotron what was being reviewed by the refs. For example, there was a different view of the Nick Lee / Yianni Diakomihalis action at the end of match 2 on the jumbotron. When they showed it in the arena there was a loud concensus for two.

Lol then why tf did the flo guys discuss none of that…though I’m not surprised…

They were major homers for certain people in certain matches throughout the day…I miss the days of mark bader and joe flo announcing the wrestling, they were so much better

• Fire 2

On 6/11/2023 at 10:19 AM, Wrestleknownothing said:

Yeah i disagreed but i could see why they reversed the call. I think you could argue that his back was exposed for a frame or two but i also think he was in a very twisted position with his face to the mat, holding strong and it wasn't particularly compelling to me. I wasn't surprised, though. 

The only call i really wanted an explanation of was why the Burroughs singlet-pull brick was considered a timely challenge. And maybe the Marsteller 4, which very easily could have been called 1 for Burroughs. I'd love an explanation of how they judge a step-out in that position.

Edited by ugarles

2 minutes ago, ugarles said:

Yeah i disagreed but i could see why they reversed the call. I think you could argue that his back was exposed for a frame or two but i also think he was in a very twisted position with his face to the mat, holding strong and it wasn't particularly compelling to me. I wasn't surprised, though. 

The only call i really wanted an explanation of was why the Burroughs singlet-pull brick was considered a timely challenge. 

This was the pic I took of the freeze frame they showed on the jumbotron. It was an angle that Flo did not have. Or at least did not show on FRL.

image.thumb.png.fbb8fb810f0de3a8431f6428346fb293.png

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 minute ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

This was the pic I took of the freeze frame they showed on the jumbotron. It was an angle that Flo did not have. Or at least did not show on FRL.

right - i get it - but the freeze frame was literally for a digital frame. i've seen worse not called. no sour grapes though. i was more upset that yianni didn't protect the lead and got himself countered twice to throw away the lead rather than semi-stall and run clock.