Where should nationals be held?

22 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

Doubt it.  50% of the people living in Phoenix are from the east coast.  Great time to catch up with relatives

From what I saw it looked like 50% were were from the south coast.

• 2 months later...

Cal. Baptist is NCAA D1 now, and could host the NCAA's in or near Los Angeles.   So could new Big 10 members UCLA and USC, if they reinstate or otherwise add wrestling. 

Hollywood's in L.A. County.   Wrestling's worthy of more movies and television shows.  Such programs promote our sport globally...  Hopefully more could emerge in time to help keep wrestling from eventually losing its status as an Olympic sport.   
    Until when is wrestling guaranteed to remain in the Olympics, 2024?  2028 has Los Angeles hosting the Olympics and it seems that wrestling's part of the program.  However, I don't see wrestling mentioned for 2028 here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrestling_at_the_Summer_Olympics

At any rate, more interfacing with Hollywood could help wrestling nationally and globally.   Perhaps it's time to host the NCAA D1 championships out there?

48 minutes ago, AgaveMaria said:

Why not FARGO? Be like homecoming for a lot of the wrestlers as they rekindle their HS summers.

Airport isn't big enough. We struggle to get in and out with 1/3-1/2 the people. And flights aren't cheap.

I say in North Carolina. You typically have good weather in March, the 2nd most D1 teams of any state in the country (UNC CH, NCSU, App State, Davidson, Duke, Campbell, Gardner Webb, Queens). Charlotte has more hotels/eating options, and a bigger arena, but doesn't have a home town team. Raleigh has a home town team, but a smaller arena. 

Edited by CoachC
  • Fire 3

9 minutes ago, CoachC said:

I say in North Carolina. You typically have good weather in March, the 2nd most D1 teams of any state in the country (UNC CH, NCSU, App State, Davidson, Duke, Campbell, Gardner Webb, Queens). Charlotte has more hotels/eating options, and a bigger arena, but doesn't have a home town team. Raleigh has a home town team, but a smaller arena. 

Davidson is right outside of Charlotte and could serve as the home town team.

• Fire 1

9 minutes ago, CoachC said:

These are very valid points, they should put in a bid.

• Fire 1

12 hours ago, AgaveMaria said:

Why not FARGO? Be like homecoming for a lot of the wrestlers as they rekindle their HS summers.

Have you seen March weather in Fargo? Both brutal ice storms and 6-7" snowfall are semi-common occurences and when combined with very high speed winds there is a significantly increased chance of inclement weather shutting down the airport and/or bussing routes which could lead to significant participant and attendee absences. That would be very, very bad for the crown jewel of our sport.

i am an idiot on the internet

4 hours ago, CoachC said:

This makes a lot of sense to me

4 minutes ago, Tripnsweep said:

What's wrong with Hawaii? 

Exactly ... why would you want to be sitting in an arena versus enjoying Hawaii? 

Now if it were beach wrestling.  🙂

Edited by ionel

4 minutes ago, Tripnsweep said:

What's wrong with Hawaii? 

That's the point. Nothing is wrong with Hawaii. Hawaii is paradise. Which makes sitting inside an arena in Hawaii my idea of hell.

I have been outside in Newark. I would much rather be inside an arena in Newark.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

6 hours ago, CoachC said:

In 1994, UNC hosted the NCAA D1 championships, a few years after the U. of Maryland Terps hosted the event:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_Wrestling_Championships

I seem to recall that attendance was GOOD if not relatively VERY GOOD for back then.  This was before one could view so much information online, so many eventual fans still didn't have the strong interest that they have now.     

On 7/23/2023 at 9:58 PM, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

Cal. Baptist is NCAA D1 now, and could host the NCAA's in or near Los Angeles.   So could new Big 10 members UCLA and USC, if they reinstate or otherwise add wrestling. 

Hollywood's in L.A. County.   Wrestling's worthy of more movies and television shows.  Such programs promote our sport globally...  Hopefully more could emerge in time to help keep wrestling from eventually losing its status as an Olympic sport.   
    Until when is wrestling guaranteed to remain in the Olympics, 2024?  2028 has Los Angeles hosting the Olympics and it seems that wrestling's part of the program.  However, I don't see wrestling mentioned for 2028 here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrestling_at_the_Summer_Olympics

At any rate, more interfacing with Hollywood could help wrestling nationally and globally.   Perhaps it's time to host the NCAA D1 championships out there?

LA is the absolute last place I'd ever want to see nationals held.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

In 1994, UNC hosted the NCAA D1 championships, a few years after the U. of Maryland Terps hosted the event:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_Wrestling_Championships

I seem to recall that attendance was GOOD if not relatively VERY GOOD for back then.  This was before one could view so much information online, so many eventual fans still didn't have the strong interest that they have now.     

At 58,299 attendance was the third highest in the 12 year period ended in 1994, a period that included 2 tournaments at Iowa State and three at Oklahoma/Oklahoma State. During that time only Iowa hosted tournaments drew more. Not too shabby.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

23 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Airport isn't big enough. We struggle to get in and out with 1/3-1/2 the people. And flights aren't cheap.

What, you don't know how to drive?

March in North Dakota with a Spring blizzard - people will pack the arena. Even bring sleeping bags so they don't have to leave between sessions.

When they do leave they can go to the museum and see the Wood Chipper from the movie FARGO. it is even signed by BOTH of the Coen Brothers. NO place else can match that!

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

13 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

That's the point. Nothing is wrong with Hawaii. Hawaii is paradise. Which makes sitting inside an arena in Hawaii my idea of hell.

I have been outside in Newark. I would much rather be inside an arena in Newark.

Could hold it in the Pitcairn Islands.