2023 Senior Pan-American Championships

19 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

Man, that's a short turn around for those who were at the US Open. Is there a weight allowance?

Mike Macch, the confirmed nicest person alive, agreed wholeheartedly.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

37 minutes ago, mspart said:

Will the Argentinian brute Destribats be there?  Right in his home. 

mspart

He is and he is unseeded. 😂😂😂😂😂

5 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

He is and he is unseeded. 😂😂😂😂😂

I lied.

He is seeded 3rd.  Johnny D is seeded 2nd.  Rivera is seeded 1st.  Gomez is unseeded.

Screenshots_2023-05-01-17-04-08.png

FYI for those looking for a refresher on qualifying for Paris 2024 Olympics. As in past years, you really, really want to place top 5 at Worlds this year - the two other options (regional qualifier + last chance qualifier) are full of landmines and are very draw-dependent. 

https://olympics.com/en/news/pathway-to-paris-2024-wrestling-qualification-system-explained

What is the wrestling qualification pathway to Paris 2024?

All of the 288 quotas will be allocated during three phases.

Phase 1: 2023 Senior World Championships

Five quotas for each of the 18 Olympic weight categories - a total of 90 quotas - will be allocated at the 2023 Senior World Championships. The four medallists (gold, silver, bronze and bronze) from the 18 categories at this event will each obtain one quota place for their NOC. Plus, a bout between the two losers of the bronze medal matches will take place and the winner will obtain the last quota.

Phase 2: 2024 Continental Qualification Tournaments

144 quotas will be defined by the 2024 Continental Qualification Tournaments. Each Continent will organise a specific Olympic Qualification Tournament with the exception of Oceania and Africa that will have a joint Qualification Tournament.

The two highest-placed athletes at each Continental Qualification tournament in each of the 18 Olympic weight categories will obtain one quota place each for their NOC.

Phase 3: 2024 World Qualification Tournament

The last 54 quotas will be decided at the 2024 World Qualification Tournament. The two highest-ranked athletes in each of the 18 Olympic weight categories will obtain one quota place each for their NOC. In addition, a bout will be organised between the two third-placed athletes and the winner of that bout will also obtain one quota place for his/her NOC.

4 minutes ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

2024 Pan Am games is Americas qualifier.  Not really sure what landmines are associated with it.

I think it was Retherford that couldn't qualify due to the 2020 Pan Am Olympic qualifier.    Got pinned by Destribats of ARG.   That's why we had no 65kg at 2020 olys.   Talk about a land mine. 

mspart

21 minutes ago, mspart said:

I think it was Retherford that couldn't qualify due to the 2020 Pan Am Olympic qualifier.    Got pinned by Destribats of ARG.   That's why we had no 65kg at 2020 olys.   Talk about a land mine. 

mspart

Exactly. The tough thing with that format is only two wrestlers qualify. It's fine if the best wrestlers in the Americas placed where they should at worlds the prior year. But let's say a good Cuban misses the podium at worlds then ends up on your side of the bracket at the Pan Am qualifier. All of a sudden you're on your way to last chance under immense pressure. It's a bit like the backside at NCAAs. There are a ton of guys who were AA caliber wrestlers but hit the #2 seed in the blood round and end up on the outside looking in.

1 hour ago, mspart said:

mspart

Ok.  I guess I just don't see getting beat by someone who also didn't finish top 5 in worlds to not finish top 2, as perhaps influenced by seeding, as a landmine.  I thought that was normal competition.  If there's actual homecooking or manipulation of assigned referees then I could see that as a landmine.

But as 2024 Pan Am wrestling will be in Cleveland OH, I would say non-USA wrestlers might have more landmines to avoid.

Edited by 98lberEating2Lunches

I thought David Taylor was going to be wrestling at 86kg, but brackets just released show Mark Hall as the U.S. rep. Any idea what happened?

Mark Hall was always the guy entered at 86kg. Has been since the Open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk