Rokfin - Will we have to pay extra now to watch any actual wrestling?

flyingcement

1 hour ago, Crablegs said:

You keep saying it’s the best medium for creators. But what’s the proof?  Outside of wrestling there is nothing worthwhile on there.  A bunch of fringe content like crypto (which is imploding as we speak) and conspiracy theories.  

What’s Nahshon Garrett up to these days anyway?

• Fire 1

You keep saying it’s the best medium for creators. But what’s the proof?  Outside of wrestling there is nothing worthwhile on there.  A bunch of fringe content like crypto (which is imploding as we speak) and conspiracy theories.  

Where are all the creators of content with large audiences?    

That’s it. Conspiracy theorists and crypto nerds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

Speaking of hilarious crypto shenanigans.

https://fortune.com/2022/11/12/ftx-investigating-662-million-worth-of-unauthorized-transactions-24-hour-period-after-bankruptcy/

Maybe Ben will stick to wrestling commentary for a while...

Is he a crypto enthusiast broadly or a bitcoin enthusiast narrowly?

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

2 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Is he a crypto enthusiast broadly or a bitcoin enthusiast narrowly?

From reading his social media and listening to him on FRL, I see him as a broad supporter of crypto and NFT.

These are all based on the 'most holy blockchain', which he clearly doesn't understand.

I enjoy his take and broadly agree with him on most wrestling topics, but he's way off the reservation on most other topics.

1 hour ago, Crablegs said:

Where are all the creators of content with large audiences?    

just because they (high audience creators) aren't on there yet doesn't mean the model isn't the best. a more equitable platform was the entire impetus behind the project.

the compensation (the share the creator gets) is night and day. the first big creator that gets on there will do massive numbers.

that's why i'm saying that you guys are forming an argument without knowing the full situation. i'm not trying to be arrogant about it. rokfin is new, the details unknown to most, and i happen to be in the middle of it. 

(by the way, crypto isn't 'imploding;' it's going through what it should go through, which is weeding out the junk projects and those with very little real world application. the one's worth it will survive. and imo, thrive.

TBD

4 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

just because they (high audience creators) aren't on there yet doesn't mean the model isn't the best. a more equitable platform was the entire impetus behind the project.

the compensation (the share the creator gets) is night and day. the first big creator that gets on there will do massive numbers.

I’m just curious why there hasn’t been a “big creator” join yet.  If the platform is so clearly better, you’d think there has been enough time for one of them to come over.  My guess is that the platform is better for monetizing a small, fringe audience.  But, it will never work for mass appeal, so no one with a large audience will join.  But if you have a small, die hard fan base (like wrestling) you’ll be ok.

LOL on the crypto. Hope you’ve been cashing in your RAE and putting it in a savings account.  

Edited by Crablegs
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Crablegs said:

It seems his enthusiasm is not specific to Bitcoin, but the funny thing is there is really no difference.  It’s all a fantasy.

Thanks. Not on Twitter myself, so wasn't sure. As for bitcoin and ethereum, I do think a case can be made that they are unique within the crypto space and not necessarily fantasy, nor strictly neccesary, but absolutely interesting. At least to my way of thinking.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

There IS value in crypto / blockchain.  Question is - how much.  

Just like there IS value in Tulips.  

Need to strip out the speculation and hype and see what value remains.  

For many ‘assets’ people hope to get rich quick on, the speculation and hype is far too much of what the going price is.  Most can see that - and know it deep down — yet they still buy.  Or they are willingly ignorant and purposefully investing in things they know very little about because it seems ‘cool to do.’  

And then they rationalized their stupidity … or blame others …. When it evaporates.

1 hour ago, Dark Energy said:

There IS value in crypto / blockchain.  Question is - how much.  

Just like there IS value in Tulips.  

Need to strip out the speculation and hype and see what value remains.  

For many ‘assets’ people hope to get rich quick on, the speculation and hype is far too much of what the going price is.  Most can see that - and know it deep down — yet they still buy.  Or they are willingly ignorant and purposefully investing in things they know very little about because it seems ‘cool to do.’  

And then they rationalized their stupidity … or blame others …. When it evaporates.

Lots of people made money during the Ponzi era.
It's just that everyone else got completely screwed.

All cryptocurrencies are fiat currencies that could be made worthless with the stroke of a pen.

If you're sitting at a poker game and you don't know who the mark is... it's you.

• Fire 1

Most use the term fiat currency as it relates to government issued currency — it relies on the faith and backing of the government issuing it.  I don’t often hear crypto described as fiat currency.  The value is not declared ‘by fiat.’

Those that back cryptocurrency say that it has intrinsic value - thus it is not a fiat currency if you believe them.  It has value on its own.  So they say.

Edited by Dark Energy

12 minutes ago, Dark Energy said:

Most use the term fiat currency as it relates to government issued currency — it relies on the faith and backing of the government issuing it.  I don’t often hear crypto described as fiat currency.  The value is not declared ‘by fiat.’

Those that back cryptocurrency say that it has intrinsic value - thus it is not a fiat currency if you believe them.  It has value on its own.  So they say.

Fiat money is a type of currency that is not backed by any commodity such as gold or silver.

I would be interested to hear explanations about what financial backing any crypto currency claims to have.

My opinion is that crypto currency is quite useful for parties who are willing to take significant risk in order to transfer money anonymously (aka criminals.) Another useful case would be those that want to take a percentage of that questionable money transacted in the form of fees in order to fill their own pockets (aka shady banker types.) The last group is the hype network who back it to get regular people in, so they can profit from valuation movement and/or fees that the regular people will be paying for (aka blood sucker brokers.)

It is interesting. But only of actual real value to criminals, shady banker types, and blood sucker brokers. Everybody else loses. P.T. Barnum probably would have loved it.

(This isn't to say that useful public non-centralized electronic currency isn't possible. It is. But what we have now isn't it and there are some enormous obstacles it would have to overcome to ever get there. The blockchain may even need to be reinvented by then if quantum computing matures and is able to hack it. It would likely look far different than it does now, but it is possible. So is nuclear fusion, which I find far more interesting.)

• Fire 3

25 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

I would be interested to hear explanations about what financial backing any crypto currency claims to have.

Ok.  Like I said, most consider fiat currency to be back by governments.  They declare the value by fiat.  Go ahead and use Google again and ask if crypto is fiat currency.  Let us know what you find.

Being backed by gold / silver implies there is intrinsic ‘value’ - remember, value is derived by what the market will pay for it.  One could argue that a mined blockchain has market derived value - it can encrypt information in such a way that can support trade, protect information, prevent fraud in accounting, etc.  In other words, there is value there.  Again, this is DIFFERENT than fiat currency.  Picture a dollar bill.  No intrinsic value.

If you can’t understand - again, use Google.   Or keep digging the hole you are making for yourself.

(I quoted the wrong thing above — Woops.  This post is to @Mike Parrish by the way)

Edited by Dark Energy

2 minutes ago, Dark Energy said:

Ok.  Like I said, most consider fiat currency to be back by governments.  They declare the value by fiat.  Go ahead and use Google again and ask if crypto is fiat currency.  Let us know what you find.

Being backed by gold / silver implies there is intrinsic ‘value’ - remember, value is derived by what the market will pay for it.  One could argue that a mined blockchain has market derived value - it can encrypt information in such a way that can support trade, protect information, prevent fraud in accounting, etc.  In other words, there is value there.  Again, this is DIFFERENT than fiat currency.  Picture a dollar bill.  No intrinsic value.

If you can’t understand - again, use Google.   Or keep digging the hole you are making for yourself.

I understand perfectly well.

You didn't answer the question to any meaningful degree.

Perhaps my choice of terms upset you, as the more colloquial usage is the one you seem to be stuck on.

Let me rephrase.
No cryptocurrency has any intrinsic value.
All cryptocurrencies could be rendered valueless instantly by any central back.
All cryptocurrencies could be rendered useless by levying a tax against all transactions.
All cryptocurrencies could be rendered worthless by using IP Packet inspection and dropping them at the switch.

"Investing" in cryptocurrencies is the modern equivalent to hoarding Beanie Babies.

If this topic is so painful for you, let's just drop it.

On 11/11/2022 at 4:47 PM, Husker_Du said:

it works better for both daily content creators (like me) and individual event promoters (like Frank Pop) that both are in play. 

i wouldn't say the single/initial plan didn't work. i think it worked quite will. but that this (from a creator's pov) was more equitable.

of course, it's up to the event promoter to use the ppv or not. that's not determined by the platform. 

What content do you create and where was it (if anywhere) before Rofkin?