2023 Transfer Portal

3 minutes ago, Indiana-Hawk-Wrestling-Fan said:

Outside of Nagao maybe leaving, who else is transferring out of Minnesota? The rest are pure speculation 

He didn't retain Steveson.

While he didn't go to another NCAA school, he has been in school.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

He didn't retain Steveson.
While he didn't go to another NCAA school, he has been in school.

I think Gable’s ability to return last year or this year hinges more on his ability to get into grad school at the U than anything. Speculation though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Landing NIL deals for your wrestlers as part of your job is pretty new to everyone. 

And to do it within the rules.  Some are coloring outside the lines, others probably waiting to see how far outside before they also venture across the border.  

1 hour ago, ionel said:

And to do it within the rules.  Some are coloring outside the lines, others probably waiting to see how far outside before they also venture across the border.  

Well said.... I wonder if 3rd parties can get an NIL to recruit for NIL? 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

5 hours ago, Idaho said:

Yet the A's still made a profit last year and COULD have spent more money to field a more competitive team.  Remember when @NearFall @Thumper called for Bakersfield to drop their program because it wasn't competitive? How do you expect teams who were barely surviving pre-NIL to survive in post-NIL? Call for their dropping of the program? 

That's how small market teams have to operate. There's some measure of revenue sharing, but it's a joke. The Dodgers make 300M a year on their TV deal, the...Brewer make 30. The Yankees make more than that. The As spent 90M a couple years ago because they were good. Last year, they traded their two best players and they had no reason to spend...because they couldn't spend their way to being competitive. They just make a few hundred million less in revenue than the top market teams. They are excessively cheap, but being as the As still play in a stadium that gets flooded with raw sewage.

In any event, the point was they at least try. There's no way to make things truly...even. There's always going to be teams or programs with just huge built in advantages. 

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

That's how small market teams have to operate. There's some measure of revenue sharing, but it's a joke. The Dodgers make 300M a year on their TV deal, the...Brewer make 30. The Yankees make more than that. The As spent 90M a couple years ago because they were good. Last year, they traded their two best players and they had no reason to spend...because they couldn't spend their way to being competitive. They just make a few hundred million less in revenue than the top market teams. They are excessively cheap, but being as the As still play in a stadium that gets flooded with raw sewage.

In any event, the point was they at least try. There's no way to make things truly...even. There's always going to be teams or programs with just huge built in advantages. 

Go Brew Crew! 4th best winning percentage in baseball since 2018, 😤😤 Not bad for a small market. 

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Idaho said:

Landing NIL deals for your wrestlers as part of your job is pretty new to everyone. 

it is very NOT part of a coach's job to land NIL deals. this would absolutely violate NIL rules. it is the job of the NIL sponsors to keep a squeaky clean paper trail the does not involve the school and coach.

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, ugarles said:

it is very NOT part of a coach's job to land NIL deals. this would absolutely violate NIL rules. it is the job of the NIL sponsors to keep a squeaky clean paper trail the does not involve the school and coach.

Sure...but if you're getting your ass kicked every year because the other schools are out recruiting you, or taking your most talented Wrestlers...especially a school like Minnesota that had been a top ~5 program for so long, then your contract may not be tied to NIL...but your job may be.

• Fire 2

19 minutes ago, ugarles said:

It is very NOT part of a coach's job to land NIL deals.

I agree to an extent. Most coaches have autonomy to decide what is to be part of their job.  They need not be directly involved in arranging NIL.  But if NIL is part of acquiring some portal transferee, then coaches will more likely coordinate in some fashion with those who might provide NIL sponsorships.

19 minutes ago, ugarles said:

this would absolutely violate NIL rules

This isn't so clear to me.  I believe that some states may have passed laws prohibiting university employees (which would include coaches) from facilitating NILs and many if not all of these states have rescinded their legislation.  I think Ohio did not pass such legislation, but Pennsylvania did and then rescinded their's.

Regardless, the university's athletic deparment's NCAA compliance office would be expected to maintain whatever records are necessary to ensure compliance with NCAA rules.  Additionally, I expect athletes would've signed some obligation to act in good faith regarding the rules and providing records.

Edited by 98lberEating2Lunches
  • Fire 1

30 minutes ago, ugarles said:

Not necessarily seal the deal so to speak.... but do you really think there aren't conversations going on between the coach and those funding NIL to land transfer portal guys? 

Edit: I agree it's not part of an official job description or that they broker the deal, but I guarantee you coaches are involved in some way in conversations happening. In that sense, it's become part of the job unfortunately. 

Edited by Idaho
  • Fire 2

5 minutes ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

I agree to an extent. Most coaches have autonomy to decide what is to be part of their job.  They need not be directly involved in arranging NIL.  But if NIL is part of acquiring some portal transferee, then coaches will more likely coordinate in some fashion with those who might provide NIL sponsorships.

This isn't so clear to me.  I believe that some states may have passed laws prohibiting university employees (which would include coaches) from facilitating NILs and many if not all of these states have rescinded their legislation.  I think Ohio did not pass such legislation, but Pennsylvania did and then rescinded their's.

Regardless, the university's athletic deparment's NCAA compliance office would be expected to maintain whatever records are necessary to ensure compliance with NCAA rules.  Additionally, I expect athletes would've signed some obligation to act in good faith regarding the rules and providing records.

Guess everyone is entitled to their own dreams.  ;_;

2 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Sure...but if you're getting your ass kicked every year because the other schools are out recruiting you, or taking your most talented Wrestlers...especially a school like Minnesota that had been a top ~5 program for so long, then your contract may not be tied to NIL...but your job may be.

Good point.... It will be interesting to see how NIL impacts a coach's job the next few years. The direction seems to be that a good marketing/salesman may be have a better program than a coach who knows how to develop talent. I'm wondering if we will see NIL deals for multiple years that are somehow tied to staying at the school... a contract of sorts. 

• Fire 1

On 4/13/2023 at 9:21 AM, Indiana-Hawk-Wrestling-Fan said:

I don’t think he will end in the portal. With Nagao most likely leaving ( I’d be super surprised if he decided to stay at Minnesota) I think it opens up some room for Mitch M. And Troy to decide whose going what weight. Then after this year he can descend to 125 or be at 133. 

My money says Spratley is hitting the portal, pretty good source has told me this.  I think he is a cowboy next year (that part is a guess) I think he will look at PSU, Okie state and ASU.  this same source told me Nagao was hitting the portal. 

3 hours ago, H82Lose said:

My money says Spratley is hitting the portal, pretty good source has told me this.  I think he is a cowboy next year (that part is a guess) I think he will look at PSU, Okie state and ASU.  this same source told me Nagao was hitting the portal. 

You forgot to mention Iowa. Every transfer conversation on the board has to include PSU, Iowa, OK State and ASU. It's a board rule.  It's in section 5 of the handbook. 

• Fire 2
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Idaho said:

You forgot to mention Iowa. Every transfer conversation on the board has to include PSU, Iowa, OK State and ASU. It's a board rule.  It's in section 5 of the handbook. 

Pretty soon people are going to have to respect that Michigan is going to be in the conversation for every transfer as well.

They have Cliff Keen money and in wrestling they are everywhere.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

Pretty soon people are going to have to respect that Michigan is going to be in the conversation for every transfer as well.

They have Cliff Keen money and in wrestling they are everywhere.

Agree.... we may need to add an addendum. 

• Fire 1

On 4/14/2023 at 3:18 PM, Idaho said:

Not necessarily seal the deal so to speak.... but do you really think there aren't conversations going on between the coach and those funding NIL to land transfer portal guys? 

Edit: I agree it's not part of an official job description or that they broker the deal, but I guarantee you coaches are involved in some way in conversations happening. In that sense, it's become part of the job unfortunately. 

It is explicitly against NCAA rules if coaches or school administrators are involved in NIL deals. Their role is to explain the rules to the athletes. Now, I'm not naive. In practice, I assume (as I've written before) the degree of separation is probably about the same that political campaigns have with "independent" PACs that share the goal of getting the candidate elected. What this means in practice is setting up as many layers of deniability as possible between the boosters and the institution. 

Ultimately maybe the coach is going to be responsible for the sausage but the coach definitely doesn't want to be crystal clear on how the sausage is getting made. 

34 minutes ago, ugarles said:

It is explicitly against NCAA rules if coaches or school administrators are involved in NIL deals.

and what if using those NIL dollars to directly recruit athletes as is being done?  😞

21 minutes ago, ionel said:

and what if using those NIL dollars to directly recruit athletes as is being done?  😞

i'm just saying, in the words of Al Neri while testifying before the Senate Mafia Commission, "yeah, a lot of buffers"

Edited by ugarles
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, ugarles said:

It is explicitly against NCAA rules if coaches or school administrators are involved in NIL deals.

Would you please provide a link to this NCAA rule and maybe clarify what you mean by "involved?"

I understand a good bit of the NIL rule details were delegated by the NCAA to the conferences.

Can you explain how the University of Iowa creation of the "Iowa Hawkeyes NIL Marketplace" fits into your assertion?

It seems the University of Iowa administration remains involved (https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2023/01/25/ui-athletics-announces-the-iowa-hawkeyes-nil-marketplace-for-student-athletes/) in facilitating NIL deals.

BTW - I see nothing wrong with it.

Maybe you mean specific contract negotiations.  Administration is responsible for compliance that contracts don't violate rules (like be contingent on athletic participation).

Edited by 98lberEating2Lunches